What are you driving at the moment?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
NC500 in the Supra is on my bucket list btw. In the recent years where I could potentially have managed I've never kept a GF long enough to actually warrant it 🤔

Bigfoot

Grand Master
The NC500 was much better before it was publicised as such. There were few tourists then and almost no camper vans or caravans. Also, Skye was better before the bridge.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
It definitely needs to be timed right, that's for sure. September has always been the month for Skye for me. Love that place.

barlew

Godlike
The NC500 was much better before it was publicised as such. There were few tourists then and almost no camper vans or caravans. Also, Skye was better before the bridge.
I much prefer Skye with the bridge. That ferry annoyed me. That being said tourists are a pain. January - March is a great time to be on the isle.

Bigfoot

Grand Master
I much prefer Skye with the bridge. That ferry annoyed me. That being said tourists are a pain. January - March is a great time to be on the isle.
I have used the ferries from Kyle and Mallaig and never thought them a problem (I was on foot). They did have the big advantage of limiting car access. The bridge is also ugly and looks out of place.

barlew

Godlike
I have used the ferries from Kyle and Mallaig and never thought them a problem (I was on foot). They did have the big advantage of limiting car access. The bridge is also ugly and looks out of place.
I've never really thought of the bridge as ugly but it must be said I've never been called an artist.

To be fair though I don't view the bridge as a tourist so we are probably coming at it from different angles.

It makes life on the island far more convenient.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I have done it a few times in both the Z4M and the 320D...and to be fair the 320D was no slower ;)

I've got one NC500 trip already booked this May with the Z4-Forum crowd (along with other trips organised via the same forum), so probably won't do another. I'm also hoping to get back the the Nürburgring this year after a few years away. I'm hoping to be able to go in the Z4M...supercharged or not :rolleyes:

As you say, the cycles and caravans/mobile homes can make it slow going in some places...even though some of the routes try to deter caravans/mobile homes for just that reason.

We tried it with about 20 cars one year, and swore never to do that many again...as hotels were an issue, as was trying to keep everyone within sight of each other...and fit us all in to some of the small parking spaces we'd find to take photos.

Last edited:

Bigfoot

Grand Master
I have completed the NC500 route before it became well known and there was little traffic then. Fortunately, there are other areas up he that are not so well known, so it is still possible to escape the crowds.

Salmon Fisher

Enthusiast
Currently? Still in my much beloved Audi A6 s line, in red. Love it to bits. Ordered it from the factory with a few extra bits n bobs, so comfy and it's a pleasure to drive.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
A friend is considering selling his old Peugeot 205 GTi and said I could have it at the fabled ‘mates rates’ if I wanted it. I’m not in the market for a new old car, especially with the baby due in a couple of months, but went round earlier to have a look out of politeness.

He’s kept it in really good nick, to be fair to him, and for a few seconds I was actually somewhat tempted. But it was when I got into the driver’s seat that I was jolted back into reality…

I saw the choke lever. And was instantly transported to a time when you’d be swearing your head off and breathing fumes on a frosty morning if you baffed it up.

No thanks, pal. I like fuel injection.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
A friend is considering selling his old Peugeot 205 GTi and said I could have it at the fabled ‘mates rates’ if I wanted it. I’m not in the market for a new old car, especially with the baby due in a couple of months, but went round earlier to have a look out of politeness.

He’s kept it in really good nick, to be fair to him, and for a few seconds I was actually somewhat tempted. But it was when I got into the driver’s seat that I was jolted back into reality…

I saw the choke lever. And was instantly transported to a time when you’d be swearing your head off and breathing fumes on a frosty morning if you baffed it up.

That car was a hero in the 80s. Unfortunately, like a lot of those hero's, it's not got a patch on any entry level hatch nowadays.

I had the 106 GTi, not a lot would keep up with me on the country roads, I dare say the 205 would be the same, but it wasn't refined at all and fell to bits every winter.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
That car was a hero in the 80s. Unfortunately, like a lot of those hero's, it's not got a patch on any entry level hatch nowadays.
Absolutely. Really fun to drive but so are most modern hatches and they’ve got the creature comforts. My current drive is a mini beast and would rinse it.

I like the hero analogy, by the way…

The Peugeot:

9F64374F-04BE-4A3F-9ECF-76A4ABAB285D.jpeg

Modern VW Polo GTi:

003D0BEB-56D7-407D-A4D1-F3C3DCD74E2C.jpeg

(RIP Adam West)

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

Ah yes the 205 choke. The first car I drove was my mum's 205, and it was a fine art to constantly open and close the choke when the car was cold, so it had just enough juice to start off at the lights but not burn petrol at speed. The joys when after the second 205 she upgraded to a 206. Didn't know myself with the chokeless version! Happy days...

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
FYI, first car I was ever in over a ton was a 205 GTi. I remember it well. Was the 1.9 variant :D

The guy driving had one of those snooper/scope devices bleeping away at the time. I was 17, didn't have a license and was in awe.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I had I think 4 of these from my first car on until I left home, all bought for me by my parents, the first one was a family run around.

Volkswagen_Polo_(1).jpg

The thing is those 4 cars were in the space of 3 years. The first 3 I blew up the engines, the 4th one I wrapped around a tree driving to brighton for the hell of it with a mate.

Now I don't condone this at all, I was a different person back then, but when the car came to a standstill after hitting the tree on a rather tight corner, my mate had smashed the side window with his head when we hit the tree and had blood all over him, and I'd dislocated my shoulder, but when the car came to rest, we were more upset with the fact we'd spilt our beers.