What danish sounds like :D

loso64

So i have been learning danish for last half a year, as i moved to denmark over a year ago.
Found this meme and it just made me almost choke on water lol xD
1623415935702.png

PS. no offense danes, i love ya :D

rouchie

Rising Star
So i have been learning danish for last half a year, as i moved to denmark over a year ago.
View attachment 26971

I am using Duolingo to try and improve on the schoolboy french I learned over 40 years ago, and while its a very useful app, I swear it is hard of hearing sometimes, when I am talking to it in french, it always sees to struggle with me :(

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
My wife is half Danish, her father was a Dane. If you visit the WWII museum in Copenhagen there is a bible on display. In the flyleaf the 12 founder members of the Danish resistance signed the bible swearing allegiance to King Christian 10th. Not only is her father one of the signatories, but it was his bible. We didn't find that out until after his death.

Also in there is the VC won by Anders Lassen, the only non-British winner of the Victoria Cross (he was commanding a British company at the time which is why he qualified). My wife's father and Anders Lassen knew each other well.

When Denmark was bypassed near the end of the war in order to concentrate on Germany, General Eisenhower sent a representative to meet King Christian to explain the Allied plans and explain why Denmark was being bypassed. That representative was my wife's father.

My wife's mother was part of the small team who made the 3D models of the Ruhr dams that were instrumental in the success of the Dambuster Raid. Guy Gibson came to see her team after the raid to say a personal thank you. In the film 'The Dambusters' the models you see are the real ones. They are now in the Imperial War Museum.

No such heroics in my family I'm afraid.....

loso64

My wife is half Danish, her father was a Dane. If you visit the WWII museum in Copenhagen there is a bible on display. In the flyleaf the 12 founder members of the Danish resistance signed the bible swearing allegiance to King Christian 10th. Not only is her father one of the signatories, but it was his bible. We didn't find that out until after his death.

Also in there is the VC won by Anders Lassen, the only non-British winner of the Victoria Cross (he was commanding a British company at the time which is why he qualified). My wife's father and Anders Lassen knew each other well.

When Denmark was bypassed near the end of the war in order to concentrate on Germany, General Eisenhower sent a representative to meet King Christian to explain the Allied plans and explain why Denmark was being bypassed. That representative was my wife's father.

My wife's mother was part of the small team who made the 3D models of the Ruhr dams that were instrumental in the success of the Dambuster Raid. Guy Gibson came to see her team after the raid to say a personal thank you. In the film 'The Dambusters' the models you see are the real ones. They are now in the Imperial War Museum.

No such heroics in my family I'm afraid.....
wow that is cool. GFs grandpa from mom side used to be Major of Aarhus :D There is a lot i wanna see in Copenhagen still when i visit, ill put the WWII museum on the list :)

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Sorry to muddy the waters by getting the Swedes involved but this thread reminded me of a classic Two Ronnies sketch…

rouchie

Rising Star
Loved the sketch in the chemist where one is asking for deodorant, the other says in a heavy accent "ball type or aerosol," and the response was "No, I want it for my armpits"

loso64

the above video is even more funny once you understand tiny bit of danish. :D :D at like 2:17 he is like "HELP, We dont understand each other"

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Also reminded of another surreal question from bonkers TV quiz show Shooting Stars:

True or false - the Dutch language started out as a joke but it just got out of hand.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I am using Duolingo to try and improve on the schoolboy french I learned over 40 years ago, and while its a very useful app, I swear it is hard of hearing sometimes, when I am talking to it in french, it always sees to struggle with me :(
vous n’êtes pas seul

I was using it to improve learn French the other year and he kept telling me i was saying things wrong, mind you the sky remote struggles with my Bucks accent

JayWilSmi

View attachment 26971

I've been trying to learn Danish for about 3 years but don't live there and only speak to my Danish friends every now and again. It's a pain of a language to learn when you're not using it a lot lol!

Fun when you get it right though!

loso64

I've been trying to learn Danish for about 3 years but don't live there and only speak to my Danish friends every now and again. It's a pain of a language to learn when you're not using it a lot lol!

Fun when you get it right though!
tell me about it :D i need to start forcing myself into speaking it. Everyone in here knows english, so it is easy to just back to that

JayWilSmi

tell me about it :D i need to start forcing myself into speaking it. Everyone in here knows english, so it is easy to just back to that
I was in Denmark for a spell a few years ago, that's what prompted me to actually learn the language. But like you say, they just didn't want to hear broken, terrible Danish so they all just spoke English. Make it very difficult lol.