What defines the best GPU? Fastest? Coolest?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I've been looking around at the various buying options for the 3080. Unsurprisingly the ROG Strix is often up the top of most lists but it got me wondering when comparing the various models. I'm just doing my homework before I decide on which route to go down, reviews aside I like to try and figure things out with discussion.

ROG Strix OC - ITRO £870 maximum frequency 1935mhz
ROG Strix - ITRO £840 maximum frequency 1740mhz
ASUS TUF OC - ITRO £750 maximum frequency 1815mhz

It was through looking at the above that I wondered why the ROG Strix would be chosen over the OC for the sake of £30. The benefit is pretty obvious with an almost 200mhz OC, which I'm guessing won't be un-noticeable.

The TUF OC seems like decent value with all things considered and would be well worth consideration to save the £120. Manual OC would likely see you closer to the ROG Strix OC figures anyway.

What's your thoughts on it all? Any insights into what you are getting for your money with the high end options?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have no idea why people would choose the Strix over the Strix OC at that small a price difference, seems odd, I think the OC would definitely be the card to go to if the price difference is that small.

But the Tuf is a very sturdy card also.

I think for me, the things it comes down to with the 3000 series cards are:

1/. Capacitor design which affects stability with boost clocks - All the asus cards use the most expensive capacitor layout, so they're immune from the issues that were initially found on some cards
1602860747393.png

2/. Cooling

3/. Boost clocks / OC

I think generally the upper tier cards use more expensive components, at the capacitor stage, through to backplate and fan design and as such are able to achieve higher stable OC's.

EVGA's are also always worth a look, the KingPin usually being one of the top performing cards.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
At the moment I can't see past the TUF OC. From what I'm reading so far 2Ghz should be a fair estimate for a manual OC even with just a reasonable chip binning.

Interestingly, different cards seem to be topping the charts in different benchmarks regardless of frequency :D

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
At the moment I can't see past the TUF OC. From what I'm reading so far 2Ghz should be a fair estimate for a manual OC even with just a reasonable chip binning.

Interestingly, different cards seem to be topping the charts in different benchmarks regardless of frequency :D
Nvidia Boost will comfortably achieve 2GHz from what I've been reading, it appeared that the instability first reported was when nvidia boost was auto clocking OVER 2GHz..... they're pretty capable chips from what I've read.

So yeah, you should have no issues with the Tuf at 2GHz at all given the higher quality capacitor design. It's a very appealing pricepoint for a very strong card, don't know why it's so cheap other than everyone automatically goes for the strix?