What do people on here do for a living?

Teasie

I am a service engineer for a company which refits and refurbs semiconductor equipment :) we just bought an old tool from AMD it may have played a part in making one of your proccessors at somepoint :p

LFFPicard

Godlike
Data Clenser for a direct mail company.

Sounds boring, but basically the majority of the post you get through the door was dealt with by someone like me. Have a few large contracts for companies like EDF, Lloyds, Barclays, Census etc. So alot of financial work and general direct mail junk.

Yamikotai

Expert
Is that the course you take to join Anonymous? :p
Heh, more like Lulzsec, and even then 99.9% of those guys can't hold a candle to a qualified penetration tester.

Edit: Wow, I got rep'd twice just for stating my course xD

Last edited:

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
Heh, more like Lulzsec, and even then 99.9% of those guys can't hold a candle to a qualified penetration tester.

Edit: Wow, I got rep'd twice just for stating my course xD

Remove "Ethical" from the name and you'll get rep'd even more XD

I'm a 3rd year veterinary student :)

Kalisnoir

Super Star
Studying Ethical Hacking and Network Security at Coventry University :)

I'm thinking of doing Computer Science at Coventry Uni next year, what are you views on the Uni and the IT teachers? Not going to ask about the actual IT rooms as I know they've just got brand new Engineering and Computing building.

Yamikotai

Expert
I'm thinking of doing Computer Science at Coventry Uni next year, what are you views on the Uni and the IT teachers? Not going to ask about the actual IT rooms as I know they've just got brand new Engineering and Computing building.

The uni I'd rate fairly highly, though it's a bit difficult to say really since I haven't attended other universities to compare it with (except for a lot of time spent at Oxford Brookes since my mum's a lecturer. I'd rate the two unis equally). I haven't had any problems, at least, and my first year was fairly enjoyable. The IT teachers are excellent (well, most of them... I did have one last year who, when we handed in the anonymous feedback forms, she not only read through them but binned the ones that said anything negative about her, which was most of them. She's not currently employed.), great to know and very friendly.
The new building is amazing. Looks great, both inside and out. Electric windows, electric monitor stands (you hold the button down and the monitors lower into the table!), each room has an individual thermostat. And awesome for me, less than five minutes from my new house.

Jack Guinea

Bright Spark
Im currently in my last year of high school and after i attend an opening evening at south Essex college im hoping to do a level 3 diploma in IT and a 2 year course on games development :)

Kalisnoir

Super Star
The uni I'd rate fairly highly, though it's a bit difficult to say really since I haven't attended other universities to compare it with (except for a lot of time spent at Oxford Brookes since my mum's a lecturer. I'd rate the two unis equally). I haven't had any problems, at least, and my first year was fairly enjoyable. The IT teachers are excellent (well, most of them... I did have one last year who, when we handed in the anonymous feedback forms, she not only read through them but binned the ones that said anything negative about her, which was most of them. She's not currently employed.), great to know and very friendly.
The new building is amazing. Looks great, both inside and out. Electric windows, electric monitor stands (you hold the button down and the monitors lower into the table!), each room has an individual thermostat. And awesome for me, less than five minutes from my new house.

Awesome! Was down there on Friday / Saturday, my mate wanted someone to go down with (he's going into his 2nd year). He showed me round the city and it looked good! He's also only a 5 minute walk away from the Uni. I'm going down for an open day on either the 27th October or 10th November so hopefully I'll be impressed.

MadMan

Super Star

Sounds nice mate. Im starting my second year of computer science at coventry too. Cant wait for the new building.

Yamikotai

Expert
Sounds nice mate. Im starting my second year of computer science at coventry too. Cant wait for the new building.
It's awesome. If you know who Terry Richards is, he gave me and a coursemate a quick tour of the whole building, including the staff-only section and some of the conference rooms. They're cool.

mishra

Rising Star
System Administrator at IT company in Leeds. My job consist of usually replacing old Windows/ linux servers with a new ones for new and existing customers. Providing Server Disaster Recovery and ongoing support for Exchange and Google Apps. Used to do a lot of web work (PHP/MySQL) but not so much nowadays.

One could say a typical IT geek, who need to do whatever is needed out there. I genuinely hate setting up frikking printers and lame users who think IE6 and XP is everything you need! Also hate old bespoke system that only work with a specific hardware/software and support doesn't exist since 1876!

To give you an example ... check this out IBM system with 8x 4.5Gb harddrives.. yay, welcome back 90s :D
ibm.jpg