What do the laptops look/feel like and build quality

moorw003

I know that sounds like a silly question, but the one thing I notice is a lack of information about chasis design, weight and feel.

I'm looking to buy a laptop and in the shops there is not a single laptop for the casual gamer in my price bracket that I want to buy... they each have glaring ommisions... and example being an I7 processor with no graphics or I3 processor with great graphics, or more prominently the 630M with an I5... a good combo but the 640m really is where I want to look at the bottom end.

Anyway, On this website to my own specs there are 3 that would fit the bill and my budget so I'm tempted, the Voyager 2 up spec'd just about, the Optimus 4 and the Skyfire 2 (just in budget).

So I just want some opinions on these laptops feel in relation to the first line.

Thanks.

Keithg

Enthusiast
I will paste a response I gave to a similar thread:

I have just received an optimus4 from PCS and have been very impressed with the build quality.
The hinges seem very robust, i have the 17" screen and there is no movement when you alter the screen angle. There is very little flex in the keyboard or the chassis around.
If i were to mention 2 concerns:
One would be the track-pad or more specifically the buttons. Whether it is the sound of the click of the feel of the plastic but these do not seem to be as strong as I have seen on other laptops and a possible area of slight concern. Although the multi-touch pad itself is large and very good and I mostly use a mouse so am not that bothered.
The other would be the outer screen casing which gives a slight impression of cheaper plastic. This could be as a result of the brushed aluminium effect which subconsciously raises expectations, but again I would say that the screen is well mounted and the hinges are great.

A big plus for the chassis is the main body which give great access to all of the replaceable internals and fans. And the keyboard is very nice to type on which was a pleasant surprise, the full size arrow keys are good.

Additionally:
The weight it is rather subjective, i don't find it to be much more than my old 15" and it still fits on my logitech lapdesk but it would need to be very heavy for this to be a concern for me. The speakers could be better but I almost always use headphone so again not a concern. the screen is fantastic and it is the standard matte. The case has no annoying glossy surfaces so no fingerprint problems (a big plus). When not gaming there is virtually no noise especially with a SSD, don't know what it is like when gaming as I have headphones on but the wife hasn't complained.

To summarize, great laptop and very happy customer.

saulux

Got Optimus III laptop 2 months ago and I'm still very impressed with it. Great build quality, screen, keyboard. Everything looks better than in pictures.