what hapened to windows?!?

Slurpak

Silver Level Poster
i was thinking, windows xp is awesome (its what i use atm, but my laptop is rubbish)
when i get my new desktop, i will be installed windows 7 ultimate x64, but i don't want all the shiny **** and all the stupid sounds that i don't actually need, but i do need direct x 11. and lets be honest, vista was a shocker. i've never been more disapointed with an operating system in my life, and went straight back to xp after using it.

why can't they just make a new xp style OS so that i can get direct x 11 on it, have a simple operating system without all the fancy rubbish that noone actually wants?!? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kalisnoir

Super Star
Dont be fooled by Windows 7 thinking its gunna be another fail like Vista. Microsoft realized Vista was a fail, so with Windows 7 they re-designed it from the ground up correcting their mistakes. In my opinion Windows 7 is a beautiful OS, even when it was in BETA I preferred it to XP. You'll see when you get your knew PC that its an OS to be reckoned with.

Slurpak

Silver Level Poster
i think the biggest problem that i have with windows 7 is that whenever you try to install anything pre-2005 it hates it and crashes. this means alot more time is needed to install patches, and workaround the issues (some can take hours to find a solution) - and i love my old school games.

Kalisnoir

Super Star
9 times out of 10, this problem is solved by right clicking > properties > compatibility > run this program in Windows XP SP2. I also tend to tick run as administrator as well if this happens.

Gishank

Bright Spark
I've used Vista, XP & Windows 7... Now simply put 7 is the most optimized, secure and general best out of the three. As for Windows 7 having backwards compatability issues - No, don't make claims as such when you've clearly not used the OS lol.. If there is an issue then 99.8% of the time it can be resolved through the compatability options.

EDIT;
Also Vista isn't so bad nowadays. You could always reuse that.

Last edited:

Slurpak

Silver Level Poster
the point im trying to make is that if they were to make an operating system that had the general layout of xp, ability to use direct x 11, and none of the useless fancy stuff, be sooo much better than windows 7?
yes
so why don't they?

as i said in my original post, when i get my new computer, i will be using windows 7, however if i could use direct X 11 on xp, then i would go xp all the way - and im sure many other people would

Kalisnoir

Super Star
Each to there own Slurpak, however I would say the majority of people would prefer Windows 7 (if they've tried it before.)

It still has the simplicity of XP, as well as so many extra features etc.

Like I said, the compatibility is not a cause for concern either because although I have like you said found problems with running an old program, it was nothing the backward compatibility couldn't fix which takes a mere 10 seconds.

Rakk

The Awesome
as i said in my original post, when i get my new computer, i will be using windows 7, however if i could use direct X 11 on xp, then i would go xp all the way - and im sure many other people would

Yeah, that was my thought when I got my new PC, I'd been using XP since gawd knows when, I knew where to find everything and this new fangled Windows 7 was a maze, I couldn't find anything I wanted (I still haven't found out where it'll tell you which .NET framework you're using, and how to add stuff to the Send To context menu ,but nevermind).

However, I seem to have got used to most of the changes, it's dead easy to find all my most used bits and pieces, and my game that was released in Nov 2004 works perfectly fine on it.

So, basically just give it a little time :)

If you really hate it after some time, you can always tell it to use the Windows classic look if you want it to look like XP.

Slurpak

Silver Level Poster
as well as so many extra features etc.

its these extra features that i find useless and irritating.

i have only use windows 7 for a short amount of time on a friends computer, and i guess it just takes some getting used to.

also i think another thing is that my laptop is terrible and therefore does not suit windows 7 and all its extra *cough* useless *cough* features

Gorman

Author Level
This thread saddens me.

I hated XP from day 1, anyone working in IT at the time knows how much of a horrible nightmare this was. Each service pack seemed to break everything and believe it or not, everyone hated it, really hated it.

Skip a few years down the line and the same people are defending it to the death.

XP has no idea what more than 4Gb of ram is (anyone who says Xp 64 is banned, that wasnt an OS until someone releases a driver for it, any driver, im not fussy)

XP has no clue what multi threading is

XP had to have a service pack to allow more than 137Gb. Im not kidding, its that old.

XP seriously needs to die, it started off pants and never got much better, it just became the norm.

Vista was a breath of fresh air for me. It was more stable and more secure than XP on release, more drivers were availiable in the OS than ever before, UAC and windows update made support and security a dream. It raised the bar and ran with it, remember people this was the most significant kernal rewrite since Windows NT (1993). And lets not forget the memory management features which you needed a 3rd party program for on XP, or reboot.

Windows 7 and everything everyone loves about it is based on the Vista kernal. Its purely optimised code.

Rant over.

Tom DWC

In many ways I agree with Gorman on this one.

I don't hate XP, but it's had its time. The Vista OS was a long overdue and much needed leap forward for Microsoft. Much of the criticism aimed at it is false and unfounded. (If anyone requires examples of this then I'd be happy to list them). Sure, it asked for more than some hardware was prepared to give - newer, faster software requires newer, faster hardware. This has always been the case. Once tweaked and updated Vista is a fine OS. It also paved the way for Windows 7, the best OS I have ever used since Windows 95. Little did I know at age 5 that I was learning to use a PC running the OS that would revolutionise the way in which we use the desktop computer. :cool:

ANY operating system that gets people off of IE6 and onto an up-to-date, secure platform has my blessing.

Last edited:

Sleinous

Author Level
i was thinking, windows xp is awesome (its what i use atm, but my laptop is rubbish)
when i get my new desktop, i will be installed windows 7 ultimate x64, but i don't want all the shiny **** and all the stupid sounds that i don't actually need, but i do need direct x 11. and lets be honest, vista was a shocker. i've never been more disapointed with an operating system in my life, and went straight back to xp after using it.

why can't they just make a new xp style OS so that i can get direct x 11 on it, have a simple operating system without all the fancy rubbish that noone actually wants?!? :confused:

There isnt much fancy stuff in 7 and tbh its really worked for them. The design is simple but effective, clean, nearly as clean as this whole Mac nonsense

Slurpak

Silver Level Poster
yes, xp has it problems, as does windows 7.
this is why im saying they should update xp. i prefered the layout of xp, and i don't want all the special features.
what i've been trying to say throughout this thread is that my ideal operating system would be an xp that had direct x 11, knows what 4gb of ram is, knows what multi-threading, and all those other things Gorman said.
basically, after they made vista, what i wanted was an improvement of xp, not an improvement of vista - and they gaves us 7, which in my opinion is ...ok but much more of an improvement on vista than xp.
i don't want all those extra features that i don't need. this was one of the things i hated about vista, and one of the things i love about xp.
for a less powerful computer (e.g. mine with 1.5gb ram, 120gb HD ect.) xp is hugely better for it that windows 7. i will be using 7 when i get my computer for all the reasons Gorman said above, but if xp didn't have those problems, then i would use xp.

Gorman

Author Level
Fair enough, im not trying to aggrivate anyone here, simply trying to clarify.

yes, xp has it problems, as does windows 7.
this is why im saying they should update xp. i prefered the layout of xp, and i don't want all the special features.

These special features in 7, what specifically do you mean by this. There is nothing in XP that isnt in 7, apart from current hardware support, memory managment etc. There are no features in 7 that cannot be edited to your liking. Default, 7 does not install any services or features that are not directly related to the hardware it detects. If you install 7 on an eee-pc it runs just as well as XP (apart from 7 installs all the drivers for you) and has a lot more things built into the OS that you would have to install 3rd party programs for.

what i've been trying to say throughout this thread is that my ideal operating system would be an xp that had direct x 11, knows what 4gb of ram is, knows what multi-threading, and all those other things Gorman said.

You just described Windows 7.

basically, after they made vista, what i wanted was an improvement of xp, not an improvement of vista - and they gaves us 7, which in my opinion is ...ok but much more of an improvement on vista than xp.

Vista was a massive improvement of XP in every way and 7 is an improvement on Vista there is nothing wrong with that. Having a quick look at the performance index in task manager, seeing windows is using more ram in 7 than in XP is flawed in so many ways.

i don't want all those extra features that i don't need. this was one of the things i hated about vista, and one of the things i love about xp.
for a less powerful computer (e.g. mine with 1.5gb ram, 120gb HD ect.) xp is hugely better for it that windows 7. i will be using 7 when i get my computer for all the reasons Gorman said above, but if xp didn't have those problems, then i would use xp.

Same story as above, 7 will scale to fit the hardware XP does not. 7 uses a memory managment system which is more efficient than XP's reboot the machine system which allows for better use of the availiable memory.

The install footprint is bigger for 7 and thats about the only drawback vs XP, but with storage sizes the way they are its hardly an issue.

for a less powerful computer (e.g. mine with 1.5gb ram, 120gb HD ect.) xp is hugely better for it that windows 7.

Absolutely 100% not true. I have installed XP on many many hundreds of low end netbooks etc and on each and every one with 7 the device is more fluid and functional. Even down to 512Mb ram and an Atom CPU, 7 has never had any performance issues that XP does not.

I would no more agree with XP having benefits over Windows 7 than i would Windows 95 having benefits over XP.

Deklore

Bright Spark
Tell you what Slurpak. Get your new pc with win7, use it for about a month or so, then come back to this thread and let us know what you think of it. Im guessing you'll adjust fine to it and all the "new features" whether you use them or not.
Personally im in the same position as you, going to win7 after many years on xp. Reluctant to leave the well known xp but willing to give win7 a go, especially as ive not heard much bad about it.

RichardW

Bronze Level Poster
I really don't mind Vista, though a friend of mine who spends hours a day trying to sort out networking problems for students at a large uni hates it with a passion, I have thought about making the switch to 7 but having looked into it I'm not convinced it's worth the money when I'm happy with what I have now (Vista 32bit).

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Aside from vista using a bit more RAM I never really understood why so many people hated it. I've had it running on my laptop for 3 years now and it's never caused any problems. The only issue i've had with my laptop is the H.D.D. which failed after a year or so because I like to move the laptop around but that wasn't the operating systems' fault.

Sleinous

Author Level
Absolutely 100% not true. I have installed XP on many many hundreds of low end netbooks etc and on each and every one with 7 the device is more fluid and functional. Even down to 512Mb ram and an Atom CPU, 7 has never had any performance issues that XP does not.

I would no more agree with XP having benefits over Windows 7 than i would Windows 95 having benefits over XP.

Same here, ive installed it on a machine with 512MB RAM and an old CPU, worked better than the old XP

spunkypocket

XP Vista W7

W7 wins everytime ive changed all my puters to W7 32bit, so my new gaming desktop frm PCS will be running W7 pre 64bit, which im lookin forward to use as ive only ever used the W7 Home Pre. so woohoo and its only goin to be a few more days till delivery cant wait love u guys for ur speed help and customer services.