What I plan on ordering

Eliot_D

Hi Guys, this is what I'm planning on ordering tomorrow, can you let me know you opinions, this will purely be used for hardcore gaming :) (P.S. - Wont be overclocking)

Case
COOLERMASTER CM STORM ENFORCER - GAMING ENTHUSIAST CASE

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7-2700k Quad Core (3.50GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics

Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z77-V: PCI-E 3.0 READY, WIFI, SLI, CROSSFIREX
Memory (RAM)
16GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (4 X 4GB)
Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 680 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
120GB INTEL® 330 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 500MB/sR | 450MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
750GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD7502AAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
12x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£46)
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX850 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£99)
Processor Cooling
TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£39)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Monitor
IIYAMA E2773HDS 27" LED WIDESCREEN, HDMI/DVI-D HD1920x1080 (£239)
Keyboard & Mouse
LOGITECH® MK250 WIRELESS KEYBOARD & MOUSE COMBO (£21)
Speakers
LOGITECH S120 2.0 BLACK SPEAKER SYSTEM (£9)
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
SATURDAY DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (BEFORE 12 NOON) (£19)
Build Time
eStandard Build - Approximately 10 to 12 working days

Rakk

The Awesome
Looks good, though 16GB of RAM is probably a tad overkill, 8GB would be plenty.

I presume the 850W power supply is so you can SLI later? Since you don't need that much for what you have specced already :)

And don't forget the silver warranty, its only a fiver and extends the return and collect bit of the warranty to a year.

Eliot_D

Looks good, though 16GB of RAM is probably a tad overkill, 8GB would be plenty.

I presume the 850W power supply is so you can SLI later? Since you don't need that much for what you have specced already :)

And don't forget the silver warranty, its only a fiver and extends the return and collect bit of the warranty to a year.

Yes I will eventually SLI but later, and I'll follow your suggestion of 8GB ram + warranty, thanks!

QUESTION - the new ivy bridge cpu, should I wait for this?

Last edited:

marwoo578

Bronze Level Poster
If not overclocking you can drop the K processor
The i7 3.40ghz will save you £40 and be more than good enough

bg92

Expert
If i was in your position I would change the power supply to hx750, as it's a modular psu. It means that cables which are not use can be disconnected and therefore allow better/ easier cable management which results in better airflow.

baron75mk2

Banned
looks like a really nice gaming set up there (& the storm enforcer is a really nice looking case as well) , if it were only for hard core gaming i would drop the i7 for the i5 as i7 is of little use for games , but as you stated you will be doing video editing as well so its a good all round choice - if you have the cash you might want to consider a bigger PSU ( the one you have chosen is more than adiquate to run your system) , but it will give you more headroom in the future for SLI / crossfire options , although the psu you have chosen should be fairly future proof for a second card - it is always nice to have a good reserve of power at hand in case power requirements go up in the future - but this is just all optional

If it interests you the corsair 1200w 80+ gold is awesome ( if not a bit overkill admittedly -lol) , but you wont have to even think about PSU`s for a long time to come with that bad boy in your rig !

hope you have a lot of fun with your new rig , it is very nice indeed

Just had another look at your case on you-tube , there is a space at the top for an extra large fan , would be a good idea to get one fitted in there for real good airflow ( the bigger ones spin slower so they are very quiet ) :eek:

Last edited:

Raptor

Enthusiast
Yes I will eventually SLI but later, and I'll follow your suggestion of 8GB ram + warranty, thanks!

QUESTION - the new ivy bridge cpu, should I wait for this?

The only reason i'd assume you'd wait for IVY bridge to buy the discounted Sandy bridge..
Read up reviews on the internet and you'll understand why..
but if not

In a nut shell:
Ivy bridge is a horrible overclocking CPU, they heat up rapidly once OCed
Ivy bridge = Sandy bridge but smaller and slightly stronger BUT it will produce more heat because of the fact it's smaller... and still uses up as much power.