What router do you suggest?

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Right chaps, have managed to convince my parents into hopefully allowing me to choose a new router. I can't do anything to the connection or anything though, just change the router. It can't be very expensive though, I don't really know the prices of routers but would under £30 or possibly in the 30s be possible? It doesn't need to be amazingly fast, my internet speed is apalling. It just needs to be reliable. My current router cuts out every minute or two. Preferably a decent range would be nice as well. However, I am more concerned about the reliability and homeplugs aren't really an option. So basically, which router do you guys suggest?

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
My router spends about 2 mins on and then 2 mins off. And I am not joking here, my friends complain because my skype status constantly keeps changing from online to offline! When it goes off, I go up two floors and turn it off and on again and yes, it is plugged in! I can't wait for it to come back on again so I just reboot the router and it seems to work again...for a little anyway!

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
The problem is that the provider is my dad's company and my dad doesn't want to bring the provider into it as that brings all sorts of complications and he can't be bothered!

Rakk

The Awesome
My Netgear router seems to be fine (unlike the two Belkin ones I had beforehand), but its more than 30quid so you probably wouldn't want the one I have anyway

F3AR

Tell your dad to put in 300Mbit fiber optic
Buy netgear router
get homeplugs/wired connection
????
profit

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Tell your dad to put in 300Mbit fiber optic
Buy netgear router
get homeplugs/wired connection
????
profit

Haha, nice idea! I can try but I doubt my father will remember the 300 or the fiber optic part of the router that we want. There would be various problems with homeplugs, I would be the only person that would want to use them as I see the benefits. Therefore, I would have to pay for them and I am kinda broke :( ! Also, my parents don't believe in ebay...the list goes on but I like the idea! My parents don't really live in this century I am afraid! Well, my dad likes to think he does by getting himself an iPhone 4 but he has absolutely no clue how to work it after 1.5 years of use! He has no clue what a cpu, let alone a HDD or RAM is! If my mum had her way, there wouldn't be a single pc in the house, doubt there would be a TV either! I have only just managed to squeeze the router out so I can't push anything, got to keep it simple!

And am on ADSL. Copper wire for 10 miles = achingly slow connection :(

F3AR

Haha, nice idea! I can try but I doubt my father will remember the 300 or the fiber optic part of the router that we want. There would be various problems with homeplugs, I would be the only person that would want to use them as I see the benefits. Therefore, I would have to pay for them and I am kinda broke :( ! Also, my parents don't believe in ebay...the list goes on but I like the idea! My parents don't really live in this century I am afraid! Well, my dad likes to think he does by getting himself an iPhone 4 but he has absolutely no clue how to work it after 1.5 years of use! He has no clue what a cpu, let alone a HDD or RAM is! If my mum had her way, there wouldn't be a single pc in the house, doubt there would be a TV either! I have only just managed to squeeze the router out so I can't push anything, got to keep it simple!

And am on ADSL. Copper wire for 10 miles = achingly slow connection :(

Same here, except my family all use PCs and tablets ect ect
the internet speed is the real bottleneck at my house :(