What size monitor would I need to have in portrait next to my 32" main display?

ProtoFoe

Hiya :)

I am looking to grab a second display for webpages, stream chat etc - I like the idea of having it in portrait but would like the screen heights to match.
My current monitor is a Samsung S32D850, for reference.

ProtoFoe

I imagine you'd need another 32" one to match the height of it unless you find one which has a higher stand.

Am I right in assuming you game on the monitor? Personally, I'd be looking to get a gaming monitor and use the Samsung as a secondary monitor as it is not designed for gaming. Of course, it also depends on what your budget is for said monitor and what the rest of your system, most notable, the GPU, to determine the best one

Hi Nursemorph, thanks for the reply. If I had a second 32" and turned it portrait, it would be super tall :(. I do game on it, however not competitively, so I am okay with the specs of it currently.

I'll be upgrading to a 2070 Super from a 970.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
As @Nursemorph says, that GPU is wasted on the monitor, for gaming that monitor is not going to be a very good experience at all.

I would instead keep the 32" as a secondary monitor and get adivce on a decent primary gaming monitor.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Excuse my ignorance, @SpyderTracks @Nursemorph - what aspects of the monitor are going to be dragging down the 2070?
It’s not a gaming monitor and only 60hz, and doesn’t have adaptive refresh rate which is standard on any gaming monitor these days. So there will be a lot of screen tearing, and it’s not going to make the most of your gpu.

You’re GPU is suited to 144hz which is pretty much the minimum for gaming these days, along with adaptive refresh.

ProtoFoe

It’s not a gaming monitor and only 60hz, and doesn’t have adaptive refresh rate which is standard on any gaming monitor these days. So there will be a lot of screen tearing, and it’s not going to make the most of your gpu.

You’re GPU is suited to 144hz which is pretty much the minimum for gaming these days, along with adaptive refresh.
I use Intel Quicksync, Nvidia Fast Sync, seems to have taken care of screen tearing.

I am looking to move to a Ryzen CPU. Is there any particular monitor with freesync that you'd recommend?

I appreciate the advice.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I use Intel Quicksync, seems to have taken care of screen tearing.
Lols, Intel Quicksync is only available on the iGPU, so it won't work on the dedicated GPU. Are you only using integrated graphics?
I am looking to move to a Ryzen CPU. Is there any particular monitor with freesync that you'd recommend?
I'm not sure what you mean by this? Adaptive sync pairs with the GPU, not CPU. And freesync will worth with either AMD or NVidia GPU's.

Furthermore AMD GPU's have had ongoing driver issues for a year and a half now and are generally best avoided.

ProtoFoe

Lols, Intel Quicksync is only available on the iGPU, so it won't work on the dedicated GPU. Are you only using integrated graphics?

I'm not sure what you mean by this? Adaptive sync pairs with the GPU, not CPU. And freesync will worth with either AMD or NVidia GPU's.

Furthermore AMD GPU's have had ongoing driver issues for a year and a half now and are generally best avoided.

I am not, nope. Now I feel embarrassed, must have been a placebo effect!

Freesync is labelled as AMD, so that's where my assumption came from that it worked with AMD only.

"Connect your monitor to the AMD graphics card (or your motherboard if you’re using a Ryzen APU), get FreeSync running on Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition, then head into the Nvidia Control Panel to force the game or application you want to run to use your GeForce graphics card, rather than the default AMD hardware." This is what I was referring to. Does this not work?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
then head into the Nvidia Control Panel to force the game or application you want to run to use your GeForce graphics card, rather than the default AMD hardware." This is what I was referring to. Does this not work?
It’s stating there how to get it to work with either AMD GPU’s or NVidia. GeForce is nvidia.

Freesync will work with either manufacturer of GPU. Most screens are feeesync.

But we’d advise not using an AMD card because of driver issues.

ProtoFoe

It’s stating there how to get it to work with either AMD GPU’s or NVidia. GeForce is nvidia.

Freesync will work with either manufacturer of GPU. Most screens are feeesync.

But we’d advise not using an AMD card because of driver issues.

I was going for a mix of Nvidia GPU and Ryzen CPU. I have a 4770k currently but wanted to upgrade the card first - considering a monitor, too. I feel super out of date with all this. Thanks for the advice and support, @SpyderTracks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I was going for a mix of Nvidia GPU and Ryzen CPU. I have a 4770k currently but wanted to upgrade the card first - considering a monitor, too. I feel super out of date with all this. Thanks for the advice and support, @SpyderTracks
No problem.

We can't advise on hardware unless it's a PCS system just so you're aware, but we can advise on monitors for you.