what to do with old laptop

Arconastine

Open to suggestions on what to do with an old dell 3520.

Worth updating the memory and hdd to sell it on or keep as a spare?

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
depends how old it is, one thing i would do whatever is convert the windows license to a digital one, so should you scrap it you've got a legitimate OS that you can use in a future build

Arconastine

depends how old it is, one thing i would do whatever is convert the windows license to a digital one, so should you scrap it you've got a legitimate OS that you can use in a future build
it's from 2014. Absolute base model. I'm inclined to keep it as a spare for now, focus on my new laptop awaiting dispatch

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
it's from 2014. Absolute base model. I'm inclined to keep it as a spare for now, focus on my new laptop awaiting dispatch
Laptops don't really fetch much second hand because it's so easy to pick up an off the shelf laptop with significantly faster hardware for very little (£250).

As such, I always buy a laptop with the view that I'll run it into the ground and accept the money is spent.

As @Martinr36 says, you can reuse any drives, although a lot of modern chassis won't accept the old 2.5" SATA drives which is a bit of a shame IMHO, I still think they're superior options for reliable storage media.

And yes, you can legitimately carry over the windows license saving £100 of the bill of the new one. Although bear in mind, you sacrifice any windows support from PCS doing this, and need to know how to manage and configure windows.

The other thing you can try although can be a bit of a time hole, is to dismantle the unit and sell it off as parts on somewhere like ebay so people requiring screen replacements etc can find it. This is time and effort though.