What to install software on?

TonyB

Hi

I am a total numpty when it comes to PC's.

I have just received my new pc and started to install my programs/software and just intsalled them to the default C drive which is 120GB SSD drive, however, after i have installed three programs its already nearly full. My second drive is a 1TB HDD...should i of installed the programs onto the HDD drive instead and used the c drive just for storage of files etc??

The HDD drive doesnt seem to have any folders of file structure, just loads of eula and install files!! Help, very confused!!

Boozad

Prolific Poster
Use the SSD for your operating system and two or three of your most frequently used programs. I have Office 2010, my AV suite and Photoshop CS2 installed on mine. The rest goes on one of my other drives.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
yeah, I'll echo what Boozad said. Main programs on your SSD and the rest on your mechanical HDD.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Good Heavens! Three programs and you've filled a 120GB disk? No way. You must have other stuff on there as well as Windows and three user programs. I have a 120GB SSD with Windows 8.1 and a gazillion user programs and I'm using only 29GB of space.

You should take a close look at what's on that disk, there will be a LOT of stuff on there that shouldn't be. Trust me.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Good Heavens! Three programs and you've filled a 120GB disk? No way. You must have other stuff on there as well as Windows and three user programs. I have a 120GB SSD with Windows 8.1 and a gazillion user programs and I'm using only 29GB of space.

You should take a close look at what's on that disk, there will be a LOT of stuff on there that shouldn't be. Trust me.

As ubuysa says, just installing Windows and programs shouldn't take up more than 50-60gb with a hell of a lot on there!

All your libraries will be on c: by default, so point these to d:

There is no way just installing programs would take up that much space.

Androcles

Rising Star
There is no way just installing programs would take up that much space.

Not quite true, it depends on what programmes you install, I have software that unpacks to upwards of 30 to 40gb (granted that's professional studio software with sound and video samples included, but not rare) and two of the online games I play are 30gb each.