What was your first car?

Corfate

Author Level
As the title says :p

At the moment, im using my sisters Micra, but getting my own first car next summer hopefully, that way, my insurance will have come down slightly from £3500, maybe down too £3400 ;)

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Me and my brother shared mum's old Peugot 106...Key West Edition (Oh yeh). Then we shared a new style fiesta for a bit. Now I just "share" dad's Audi A5 :D

Corfate

Author Level
Can't wait for my own car :p I'd like one of the newer fiesta's :) Not the small ones, the newish ones :p

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I have a 1 litre fiat uno the mingin old shaped one.

lol the insurance was only just over a grand a year, lol no way would I pay 3 grand to drive.

rudolph93

Silver Level Poster
think my first car is one of them ones you get in and walk around in as a baby cant remeber what they were though xD hehe

but yeah i can't drive yet (only 18) well i can but dont have the money to pay for lessons then a car and then the insurance, and dont think my dad would like me using his car because he probaly need it for something important and i lost the car in a carpark somewhere haha :)

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
As the title says :p

At the moment, im using my sisters Micra, but getting my own first car next summer hopefully, that way, my insurance will have come down slightly from £3500, maybe down too £3400 ;)

:stupid: why not just get public transport for a few years then get yourself a really nice car. Im 26 and have never driven due to my eyesight, but Ive never had a problem getting anywhere on my bike, bus, or train.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Public transport differs so vastly across the country French that sometimes that just isn't viable. Until that time, a car is a deal breaker for employment, school, shopping...anything really :(

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Public transport differs so vastly across the country French that sometimes that just isn't viable. Until that time, a car is a deal breaker for employment, school, shopping...anything really :(

Really? Ive never had a problem anywhere ive lived tbh. I mean yeah occasionally I have to get a taxi or something, but most of the time people just dont want to wait for busses/ trains etc. The people I work with could easily get a train to work but most of them dont want to because it means they cant leave when they want. My argument for this is that from where I work to pretty much every place they come from theres busses every 10 minutes and trains every 30 lol. Not exactly a long wait.

I actually prefer trains too, I have a commute of around 1.5 hours each way and means I can get work done (not work work but my own stuff) to and from work. In the area I work too I would never want to drive anyway, getting out of the centre at rush hour would be a nightmare, never any traffic on train lol.

Shopping wise, whats wrong with delivery :) lol.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Have you ever lived anywhere that isn't a town or city French? If not, you aren't allowed to comment :) With buses every 10 minutes and trains every 30, yes, a car would seem a luxury, but that just isn't the case everywhere.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Have you ever lived anywhere that isn't a town or city French? If not, you aren't allowed to comment :) With buses every 10 minutes and trains every 30, yes, a car would seem a luxury, but that just isn't the case everywhere.

I live in quite a small town, I have to cycle 25 minutes to the closest train station, but I do this every morning at 6:30 followed by 1 hour on the train and walking at the other end to get to work. I know most people don't want to do that, but most of it is out of laziness and because cars have become a convenience. If we didn't have cars and only had public transport people would get on just fine, they wouldn't complain, I dont see why having cars should suddenly make everyone lazy though.

I know we commute a lot further on average than we used to 30 or 40 years ago, however I still dont see this as a cause for laziness. I have a slightly different view to others due to the fact I am unable to drive due to my eyesight, so I just have to live with it really, however I really dont have a problem with the cycling an public transport, yeah it would be nice to live a bit closer to work or atleast to the station but I live in a nice area away from cities and I find that my cycle and leisurly commute to work mean I arrive a lot less stressed than most people who drive and have to deal with traffic. I end up far more productive for the first part of the morning and as a result get my work done quicker and go home earlier.

I think in some cases, yeah it would be pretty hard to use public transport, but I dont exactly live close to anywhere with public transport yet I still manage everyday to commute to work. People just need to stop being as lazy these days tbh.

Corfate

Author Level
Buses are every hour where i am, so they can't get me to my lessons on time most of the time, having a car is just so much more convenient.. Also, the buses charge about £7 for a return ticket, whereas using a car, it'll cost about £2 tops :p And i like driving :D

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Buses are every hour where i am, so they can't get me to my lessons on time most of the time, having a car is just so much more convenient.. Also, the buses charge about £7 for a return ticket, whereas using a car, it'll cost about £2 tops :p And i like driving :D

Lol leave earlier?

Also it wont cost you £2 tops, youre forgetting the fact you have £3400 insurance a year. Assuming you go in 35 weeks a year to college, whcih I believe is average, doing 5 days a week £7 a day on bus your insurance would have to be roughly £1200 or less to make it worth using the car. So cant really say £2 a day, its more like £19.40 a day by car lol, seem like a rip off now? haha

EDIT: even if you travel 365 days a year, it still works out cheaper to take the bus than paying your insurance haha

tom_gr7

Life Serving
cars cost young people now days a bloomin fortune, insurance is a right rip off. As corfate said 3k+ for car insurance, lol even if ya had a part time job 16+ hours a week it would skint ya.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
cars cost young people now days a bloomin fortune, insurance is a right rip off. As corfate said 3k+ for car insurance, lol even if ya had a part time job 16+ hours a week it would skint ya.

Its only a rip off because of the amount of uninsured drivers out there. There was a figure a while back (sometime last year) which suggested 1 in 10 cars on UK roads was uninsured. Thats a staggering ammount.

Infact it was 2009 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8272054.stm

Corfate

Author Level
Yeah, but driving is so fun.. You can go anywhere you like ;)

And i'd be waiting round for an hour.. So.. No thanks ;)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
lol to get the cheapest insurance you have to have the naffest car ever, like a fiat uno like i had, could barely do 75