What's a good space game?

aXe

Looking for a space exploration game that features mining, trading, combat etc. Not sure which to go for as there are a few. Starfield, No Man's Sky or maybe something else?

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
If you an RPG with those elements, then Starfield it is.

If you want a casual, free-roaming game with those elements, then No Mans Sky.

I suppose there's Star Citizen if you're happy to pay thousand of pounds every couple of months to continue playing?

If you want the multi-player element, then Eve Online may do.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Starfield is definitely one to try out, you can get it on XBox Game Pass if you just want to trial it before committing to purchasing, I think it's £9.99 a month and you can cancel any time.

The game for the base version is £69.99 which is included with the standard game pass

Elite Dangerous is also worth consideration, it's been out a while but has a very strong userbase, the demo video is actually all in-game footage, so you get a good idea of what it's about

There's also Star Citizen which is still in development and has a HUGE really loyal following despite that. This game has been in development since 2010 and has generated half a billion $ in crowdfunding as of September last year, so their playerbase must be enjoying something about it.

I'd say those are probably the most significant 3 at the moment.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yeah No Man Sky and Elite Dangerous would be my recommendations

Stay far far away from the game that will never be Star Citizen. Pretty sure it's some form of inefficient money laundering at this point

Don't know much about Starfield to be honest but it's a Bethesda game and I generally like them

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah No Man Sky and Elite Dangerous would be my recommendations

Stay far far away from the game that will never be Star Citizen. Pretty sure it's some form of inefficient money laundering at this point

Don't know much about Starfield to be honest but it's a Bethesda game and I generally like them
I am hugely perplexed about Star Citizen, I don't know how they're getting away with it, but the fans are quite culty, they swear by it, I read one guy has spent $100,000 on it which is absolutely insane

aXe

Yeah my pockets are not Star Citizen deep. No Man's Sky might be more me. I like having the odd casual game.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I am hugely perplexed about Star Citizen, I don't know how they're getting away with it, but the fans are quite culty, they swear by it, I read one guy has spent $100,000 on it which is absolutely insane

It's absolutely wild, this is going to be some Wolf of Wall Street stuff in about 20 years they'll dig up Scorsese to make a movie about it

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

But to someone (footballer, youtube celeb, billionaire heir, etc.) it really is insignificant.

We had some people on a 'free to play' but 'pay to win' type game who would always have the latest upgrades about a day after they were released...and some of these would be £1000 per character (and you can have 50 characters) to upgrade. You couldn't play against him as it was like having a god-mode cheat enabled all the time.

What I think is even worse in Star Citizen is the constant alpha/beta phase where they wipe everyone's content each release, and so you have to buy the same items again.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Depending on how far you're willing to compromise in wanting "good" space games, I may be able to help you out. One of the pinned threads in the PC Gaming section is a game giveaway thread that a few of us started a few years back, but I'm mostly the one keeping it going these days. I've got a load (and I do mean a LOAD!) of spare Steam keys for games I've picked up from Humble Bundle and a few different places. I'm giving them away for free as they're either games I already own or are not interested in.

For games with some kind of space setting, I've currently got:

- Between the Stars
- Cosmonautica
- Crying Suns
- ENDLESS Space 2
- Kerbal Space Progam
- MirrorMoon EP
- Starbound

None of the above games are exactly like the games you've mentioned: Kerbal is purely about exploration without combat, trading, etc. Starbound has some similarities with the likes of Terraria, so is kinda like a 2D version of No Man's Sky or Starfield. The others are making other compromises (or are even totally different genres!), but if after clicking through the links (they will take you to the Steam pages) any of the games catch your eye, let me know and I'll send the Steam key over to you in a bit.

aXe

Thanks very much for the offer but none of those are really what I'm after. I'll be going for No Man's Sky.

Last edited by a moderator:

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Thanks very much for the offer but none of those are really what I'm after. I'll be going for No Man's Sky.
No worries. If you check the Giveaway thread on the first Tuesday of each month, I post an update on the new games I'm adding that month and you may see something that catches your eye then.

No Man's Sky is a lot of fun and I'm sure you'll enjoy it!