Where to put uninstalled software please?

slimbob

Enthusiast
Hi everyone, :)

Hope all is going well,

I appreciate that YouTube and Google are my friend and I have been searching online to try and find the answer to my question but there are so many different opinions on what is the best thing to do.

Since I have upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 then clean installed windows 10 all has been absolutely brilliant thank you very much! All my software has been installed either by download or installation media and I have left Windows 10 to decide where it wants to put the software.

I understand thanks to UBUYSA that there are two program folders in my C: drive.

Program Files – For 64-bit programs

Program Files (x86) – For 32-bit programs

So, windows has sorted my installed software between these two folders.

With that said here is my question if I may.

I only have one piece of software (small only 15mb) that is not installed, it is clean and safe and it comes in downloadable zip file which I use 7-Zip to extract. Now because it has a application.exe file in the software folder I can apparently put the software folder wherever I want.

To try my best to keep things tidy and so I can pin the software to my Start menu this is what I have done but not sure if it is the correct thing to do.

I opened the software then opened task manager and added the platform column under details so task manger could tell me whether the software is 32 or 64 bit. It is telling me it is 64 bit. Therefore I have dragged and dropped this software folder into my C: Drive program files folder. I had to do this as admin. Now once in I can successfully pin the software to my start menu and it does allow me to actually uninstall it from the start menu application icon.

However, if I go into control panel – programs or into settings - apps the software is not listed with no option to uninstall? Almost like windows doesn’t know it is in there.

Have I done the right thing?

Is there a more appropriate place to keep this small software folder? Like in My Documents for example?

Or should I keep it on my data partition away from my windows/applications partition and as it is used very occasionally just drag and drop it onto my desk top when I need to use it then move it back to the data partition and delete the desk top copy?

I am a little bit confused and any help as always is so much appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance if anyone replies.

Bob :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It makes no practical difference. Windows doesn't treat the two program files folders any differently. So if you install a 64-bit program to the (x86) program files it will still work perfectly, and vice-versa.

You'll most likely find that 32-bit programs will only install to the (x86) program files because that's a their installer knows about.

The installer for 64-bit programs generally install into the 64-bit program files by default.

It really doesn't matter though its just an organisational convenience.

That said you generally need to execute the install file to install the software. It sounds as though all you've done is to copy the install file into program files.

Put the install file anywhere you like and execute (double click) it to run the installer. It's the installer that will decide where the final executable file goes. Most decent installers also create the Start Menu shortcuts for you. :)

Last edited:

slimbob

Enthusiast
Thanks very much UBUYSA for your help I really appreciate it. :)

Thanks for explaining about windows and how it uses the two program files folders.

First of all, apologies if I am not grasping this or understanding you correctly.

I have looked in the software folder and there is no installer file as such as far as I can see. The biggest file and the one with the software icon is the software application .exe file which is the one I click on to actually run the program. Is this the installer file you speak of as I can’t see anything else how could I recognise an installer file does it have a specific file extension?

Maybe this software doesn’t actually have an installer file?

So are you saying regardless of where the software folder is kept including the application.exe file it contains it doesn’t really matter because as soon as I run the application by clicking the application .exe file Windows will recognise it and do what it wants?

The reason I ask is if I open the software say from my desktop by going in the folder and clicking on the application.exe file then close the program after I have finished if I go to see where windows has put it I can’t find it located in either of my program files or located in control panel- programs or in settings – apps.

So, the software appears to not be able to be installed UBUYSA but I can still use it without it being installed? It’s like it is on its own, independent of windows and lives wherever I put it, self-contained and self-sufficient.

So say if you just downloaded good safe software in a zip file from a trusted source and you knew it was perfectly safe and you extracted the software to your desk top if there was no installer file but the software could be successfully run using the application .exe file where would you keep it, what would you do?

Thanks very much if you have the time to get back to me.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You cannot just copy programs off one PC and paste them into a different one. That will not work at all, except for some very simple programs.

Most programs have to be installed. This process creates the appropriate file and folder structure, configures the program for your hardware and writes the appropriate registry entries. You do this by running the specific installer for the program you want.

To install the Firefox browser for example, you would download the Firefox installer program and run it. That will do the installation into the right folders etc.

What program are you wanting to install?

In the example of the zip file you gave it would depend on whether what's in the zip file is the actual program you want or the installer program for it.

slimbob

Enthusiast
You cannot just copy programs off one PC and paste them into a different one. That will not work at all, except for some very simple programs.

Most programs have to be installed. This process creates the appropriate file and folder structure, configures the program for your hardware and writes the appropriate registry entries. You do this by running the specific installer for the program you want.

To install the Firefox browser for example, you would download the Firefox installer program and run it. That will do the installation into the right folders etc.

What program are you wanting to install?

In the example of the zip file you gave it would depend on whether what's in the zip file is the actual program you want or the installer program for it.

Hello again, :)

Hope your weekend has started off well.

Thank you for the information in your previous reply to help my understanding.

O.k the software is a simple Super Nintendo console emulator called bsnes v115 created by byuu who is the same person who created the famous cycle accurate emulator higan,

I still have some of my old super Nintendo games from when I was a kid and I still love playing them. My P.C can’t really play a lot of modern P.C games because of my graphics card but I am very lucky that my P.C spec is just about adequate to run this software.

My snes machine broke 10 years ago but I still have my original controllers’, games and backup roms of the cartridges including Super Mario World, Zelda and Super Metroid that I bought!!!! This software makes me so happy. It is free and byuu has done so much and spent $30,000 out of his own pocket to help preserve the snes for future generations without asking for anything in return. I made sure to give him a £40 donation even though he didn’t want it as he is very well paid as a professional coder working in Japan. So, because of him and his amazing software I can still play my old snes games!!!

He has been involved in emulation for many years and even played a part in helping the late prof Stephen Hawking to keep talking via his voice machine!!! https://byuu.org/about. His software is clean and virus / malware free.

He has taken a much deserved sabbatical due to health reasons and hand problems so I don’t want to contact him to reduce his need to type.

Sorry for going off track UBUYSA but I am really excited about all this.

Once you download the zip file from Byuu’s official site https://byuu.org/bsnes and extract it with 7-ZIP this is what is in the bsnes software folder:

bsnes.jpg

In the database folder there are the below 4 files:

BS Memory.bml (2kb)

Cheat Codes.bml (2,173kb)

Sufami Turbo.bml (6kb)

Super famicom.bml (363kb)

The Firmware Folder is empty

Some firmware is copyright protected and needed to play some games which I don’t have anyway so Byuu can’t include them due to law so this is why it is empty.

The shaders folder just contains lots of shader folders.

I hope this information is of any help with regards my previous questions about not seeming to be able to install it and where to put the software folder. It works like a dream by the way!!

Thank so much again UBUYSA

Take care.

slimbob

Enthusiast

I think the zip file contains the actual program not an installer program from what I can make out.
Thanks again.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ok, so in order to help I've downloaded and run it (in my sandbox) and it doesn't need installing, it's a stand-alone program.

I would create a folder in Program Files (x86) called bsnes and copy everything extracted from the .zip file into that folder.
Then right-click on the bsnes.exe file and select Create Shortcut, you'll see the shortcut created in the same folder.
Click and drag that shortcut to somewhere on your desktop. You will double-click that to start the emulator.

Enjoy! :)

slimbob

Enthusiast
Thanks so much for doing that for me UBUYSA !!!! I really appreciate it, Isn't it incredible !!
I don't know if you ever had a Super Nintendo yourself but it was a massive part of my childhood.
I fully appreciate the games don't hold up very well now if you compare them side by side with that the latest P.C games but they are so much fun to play! I will enjoy !!!!, thank you :)

I am going to do exactly what you said right now!

May I ask you one last thing if at all possible.

Now you kindly have helped me understand where to put the bsnes software where do you recommend I keep my game roms?
At presently they are in a folder called snes games kept in my documents I also have copies of my manuals in there too.

I was thinking whether I should create a folder in the bsnes software folder and label it games and put my the game rom's from my original game cartridges in there along with their manuals to keep everything in the same place so the software and the games it runs are together in the same folder in my program files (x86) folder. Or should I keep my games and their manuals in a folder somewhere separately away from the software folder like I have been doing?

Appreciate you have already posted three times to my thread so I understand if you don't manage to reply.
So regardless thank so much again for helping me I am off to play Super Mario World !!!! :love:

Hope you a have a wonderful weekend UBUYSA

Take care.
Bob

220px-Supermarioworld.jpg

:)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Now you kindly have helped me understand where to put the bsnes software where do you recommend I keep my game roms?
At presently they are in a folder called snes games kept in my documents I also have copies of my manuals in there too.

Personally I would leave them there.

I was thinking whether I should create a folder in the bsnes software folder and label it games and put my the game rom's from my original game cartridges in there along with their manuals to keep everything in the same place so the software and the games it runs are together in the same folder in my program files (x86) folder.

It's wise to leave the program files folders for programs and put the data (or games) that those programs use somewhere else.

Or should I keep my games and their manuals in a folder somewhere separately away from the software folder like I have been doing?

Yes minister. (Sorry I was watching some re-runs last night...)

slimbob

Enthusiast
Personally I would leave them there.

It's wise to leave the program files folders for programs and put the data (or games) that those programs use somewhere else.

Yes minister. (Sorry I was watching some re-runs last night...)

Thanks again UBUYSA :)
O.k I seem to have this all sorted thanks to you !!

Just out of curiosity when I did what you said and created a short cut to put on my desk top I noticed as well as the option to create shortcut I also had the option to pin the program to the start menu or in my taskbar. Is this basically the same thing are they just short cuts as well or is there a difference which is why you have advised I create a short cut and drag it on my desk top? Which is what I have done.
The only reason I ask is I tend to keep my desk top quite empty apart from my recycle bin.
But if putting the short cut on my desk top is a better option then I can assure you on my desk top it will go.
It is a very small sacrifice !!! I was just curious.

I have never watched Yes Minister. My Dad loved it and said most people don't appreciate it or fully understand the the humour, I will have to check it out. There are so many great old sitcoms aren't there.

Thanks so much again for helping me with my SNES quest my friend :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Just out of curiosity when I did what you said and created a short cut to put on my desk top I noticed as well as the option to create shortcut I also had the option to pin the program to the start menu or in my taskbar. Is this basically the same thing are they just short cuts as well or is there a difference which is why you have advised I create a short cut and drag it on my desk top? Which is what I have done.

I'm assuming you're using Windows 10?

If you pin it to the Start Menu then you'll have an icon for it visible in the icon groups on the right when you click the Start icon. If you want to be able to start the emulator from there then pin it.

If you pin it to the taskbar you'll have an icon for it in the taskbar at the bottom of your screen. If you want to be able to start the emulator from there then pin it.

The only reason I ask is I tend to keep my desk top quite empty apart from my recycle bin.
But if putting the short cut on my desk top is a better option then I can assure you on my desk top it will go.
It is a very small sacrifice !!! I was just curious.

So do I. I like a clean desktop.

It all depends on how you want to be able to start this emulator. If you pin it to the taskbar you'll be able to click its icon there no matter what other windows you have open or apps you have running, the icon will always be in your taskbar. If you want to be able to click the Start icon and then have an icon for the emulator immediately available in the icon groups there to start it then pin it there.

If you want to be able to click the Start icon and then have your emulator listed alphabetically (under B for example) then you'll need to do a bit more (simple ) work. Programs that have an installer get added here automatically by their installer, but since this wasn't installed by an installer you'll need to do that manually - but only if you want to be able to start the emulator from this alphabetic program list. Let me know and I'll tell you how to do that. :)

I have never watched Yes Minister. My Dad loved it and said most people don't appreciate it or fully understand the the humour, I will have to check it out.

What? incredible. :)

Yes Minister (and the follow up Yes Prime Minister) is an insight into the machinations of the civil service and the ease with which politicians serve themselves. Although it's dated (it was made in the 1980's) it's easy to imagine the same things going on in the corridors of power today. Well worth a watch.

slimbob

Enthusiast
I'm assuming you're using Windows 10?

If you pin it to the Start Menu then you'll have an icon for it visible in the icon groups on the right when you click the Start icon. If you want to be able to start the emulator from there then pin it.

If you pin it to the taskbar you'll have an icon for it in the taskbar at the bottom of your screen. If you want to be able to start the emulator from there then pin it.

So do I. I like a clean desktop.

It all depends on how you want to be able to start this emulator. If you pin it to the taskbar you'll be able to click its icon there no matter what other windows you have open or apps you have running, the icon will always be in your taskbar. If you want to be able to click the Start icon and then have an icon for the emulator immediately available in the icon groups there to start it then pin it there.

If you want to be able to click the Start icon and then have your emulator listed alphabetically (under B for example) then you'll need to do a bit more (simple ) work. Programs that have an installer get added here automatically by their installer, but since this wasn't installed by an installer you'll need to do that manually - but only if you want to be able to start the emulator from this alphabetic program list. Let me know and I'll tell you how to do that. :)

What? incredible. :)

Yes Minister (and the follow up Yes Prime Minister) is an insight into the machinations of the civil service and the ease with which politicians serve themselves. Although it's dated (it was made in the 1980's) it's easy to imagine the same things going on in the corridors of power today. Well worth a watch.

Thanks a million, :)

My Dad liked both but preferred Yes Minister but still enjoyed Yes Prime Minister, Wikipedia say it was actually Margret Thatcher's favourite television program. I think you are right similar tactics, techniques and conversations will be going on right now especially with the current situation we find ourselves in. There are a lot of very educated intellectuals who are questioning the government and their implemented measures including Lord Sumption. but this has always been the case. We are living in scary and interesting times my friend.

Yes I am running windows 10 and you were a big help with this as well :).
I don't need to have it pinned in Start alphabetically on the left I am more than happy to just pin it on the right which I can do and resize it to a small icon to keep things nice tidy so that is what I will do. Taskbar is also an option but at least I understand better now, thank you very much for explaining this to me. It's nice to know I am not the only one who likes a clean desktop.

By the way after our recent conversation and reading through your previous posts I went ahead mainly as a learning experience to partition my internal 500GB WD Raptor HDD which is the only internal HDD I have. So now I have a 130GB (C: drive for windows 10 and my software including bsnes this partition has 100 GB of free space so lots of room to breathe in the future. And I have a 370 gig data partition for all my other stuff and again 120GB of free space there. I don't have much data :LOL:. I have done this to make it easier to back up my C: Drive with (Macrium Reflect) disk image as you mentioned. I back up my data separately.

Anyway you said it is best to keep my game roms and manuals somewhere else away from my bsnes software folder which is what I will do.
Because my game rom/manual folder is very small (400mb) in total mainly because of the manuals as the games average about 4Mb !!!

Can I keep this folder on my C: Drive away from the program Files (x86) folder like in My Documents which is what I have done or is better again to keep this folder on my data partition?

My understanding is for someone like you with a very good and powerful P.C and huge games you will keep all your games on a separate internal HDD like 2TB or bigger and you will have a more modest size SSD for your O/S and applications to improve performance.

I forgot to mention previously that my internal HDD (The only one I have in my computer) had been partitioned as described above.

So because my game rom/manual folder is only 400mb and my C: drive for windows 10 and applications has 98GB of free space can I keep my game rom/manual folder in my documents on this C: drive partition?

Or even though it is such a small folder is it best to keep my game rom/manual folder well away on my data partition.

This is such a learning experience for me UBUYSA so thank you so very much.
Take care.
Bob. :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Sorry Bob, I must have missed this post the first time round... :oops:

Anyway you said it is best to keep my game roms and manuals somewhere else away from my bsnes software folder which is what I will do.
Because my game rom/manual folder is very small (400mb) in total mainly because of the manuals as the games average about 4Mb !!!

Can I keep this folder on my C: Drive away from the program Files (x86) folder like in My Documents which is what I have done or is better again to keep this folder on my data partition?

You can keep it anywhere you like. If you keep it on the C: drive (partition) and you later do a clean reinstall everything on the C: drive (partition) will be erased. IMO it's probably best to keep stuff like this on the D: drive (partition) where it won't get touched by a reinstall.

My understanding is for someone like you with a very good and powerful P.C and huge games you will keep all your games on a separate internal HDD like 2TB or bigger and you will have a more modest size SSD for your O/S and applications to improve performance.
That's exactly what I do have. It's what most people with high-end and gaming PCs do because it puts your files on the best drive for their usage patterns. Windows and programs benefit hugely from the speed of the SSD, user data (and even games) benefit much less and so a (cheaper and larger) HDD is the best cost/benefit option.

I forgot to mention previously that my internal HDD (The only one I have in my computer) had been partitioned as described above.
If you only have one drive (SSD or HDD) partitioning that way is a wise option because you can reinstall Windows and not damage your user data.

So because my game rom/manual folder is only 400mb and my C: drive for windows 10 and applications has 98GB of free space can I keep my game rom/manual folder in my documents on this C: drive partition?

Or even though it is such a small folder is it best to keep my game rom/manual folder well away on my data partition.
See above. Yes you can keep it on C: it will do no harm at all, but it will be erased when you reinstall.

BTW. Now you have partitioned the drive you want your My Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos, etc. folder on your D: drive, not C:, for the reinstall reasons I just gave. There is a procedure for moving them however, it's not just a case of copying them across. I can tell you how to do that if you want? :)

slimbob

Enthusiast
Sorry Bob, I must have missed this post the first time round... :oops:

You can keep it anywhere you like. If you keep it on the C: drive (partition) and you later do a clean reinstall everything on the C: drive (partition) will be erased. IMO it's probably best to keep stuff like this on the D: drive (partition) where it won't get touched by a reinstall.

That's exactly what I do have. It's what most people with high-end and gaming PCs do because it puts your files on the best drive for their usage patterns. Windows and programs benefit hugely from the speed of the SSD, user data (and even games) benefit much less and so a (cheaper and larger) HDD is the best cost/benefit option.

If you only have one drive (SSD or HDD) partitioning that way is a wise option because you can reinstall Windows and not damage your user data.

See above. Yes you can keep it on C: it will do no harm at all, but it will be erased when you reinstall.

BTW. Now you have partitioned the drive you want your My Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos, etc. folder on your D: drive, not C:, for the reinstall reasons I just gave. There is a procedure for moving them however, it's not just a case of copying them across. I can tell you how to do that if you want? :)

Hi UBUYSA,
Not a problem at all you have helped me so much that if you never answered another one of my posts again I would still be indebted to you.

Thank you very much for your helpful reply I have copied and pasted it as usual as I am making my own little computer guide for future reference. With regards telling me how to move my docs, music, videos etc from my C: drive (windows/ applications) partition onto my Data partition. Yes that would be fantastic but please don't spend too much of your time, if you can send me a good you tube link or another link to save you typing. I always search on Google and You tube if I get stuck but the hard thing is knowing which information is the most reputable? I usually go by upload date, subscribers, views and comments / likes.

If you don't have time or miss this post no problem at all.
Hope all is going well for you.
Have you treated yourself to anything over the lock down period, I see Scott's seat has just arrived to fit on to his simrig!! Sounds incredible!

Thanks again.
Bob.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi UBUYSA,
Not a problem at all you have helped me so much that if you never answered another one of my posts again I would still be indebted to you.

Thank you very much for your helpful reply I have copied and pasted it as usual as I am making my own little computer guide for future reference. With regards telling me how to move my docs, music, videos etc from my C: drive (windows/ applications) partition onto my Data partition. Yes that would be fantastic but please don't spend too much of your time, if you can send me a good you tube link or another link to save you typing. I always search on Google and You tube if I get stuck but the hard thing is knowing which information is the most reputable? I usually go by upload date, subscribers, views and comments / likes.

If you don't have time or miss this post no problem at all.
Hope all is going well for you.
Have you treated yourself to anything over the lock down period, I see Scott's seat has just arrived to fit on to his simrig!! Sounds incredible!

Thanks again.
Bob.
This is a pretty easy one to follow: https://winaero.com/blog/move-documents-folder-windows-10/

They just show you how to move the Documents folder here but it's the same process for all the others. Note that you probably only need to move Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music and Videos. Possibly Favourites too if you have a lot of those. The others generally have little or nothing in them. I don't think you can move the OneDrive folder, I don't use it so I've never tried. :)

slimbob

Enthusiast
This is a pretty easy one to follow: https://winaero.com/blog/move-documents-folder-windows-10/

They just show you how to move the Documents folder here but it's the same process for all the others. Note that you probably only need to move Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music and Videos. Possibly Favourites too if you have a lot of those. The others generally have little or nothing in them. I don't think you can move the OneDrive folder, I don't use it so I've never tried. :)

Thanks very much for the link I will check it out and have a play around.
Since I partitioned my HDD I have been using Macrium Reflect to create a system image once a week as nothing much changes now.
I have also made my rescue media (2 USB's) in case one fails and have checked them by booting and locating my image but not actually going through with the restore. Everything is going well and my P.C is great!!! Thanks for your help about partitioning in the past :)
Hope all is going well in these strange times.
Best wishes.
Bob.