Where to start learning about computers?

Ieuan

Hello everyone!

Where should a complete beginner start learning about computers?

My interests are in coding/game design and game mods (Is it called ethical hacking?) and just how computers work in general.

I haven't had much experience with computers, as Iv always had smart phones/tablets growing up instead, so I am a complete newbie! Lol

I actually don't own a computer at the moment, but I am looking into buying a Laptop to mess around with and learn more from! So I thought I could start my learning before I even get one :)

Any suggestions would be great! I find all the lingo and various topics/parts of computers etc a bit confusing, so any help that would set me off in the right direction would be great :)

Thank you!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I see you've had no replies and that's not surprising. It's a hard question to answer, I learned what I know over the last 40 years! As a start vist your local bookshop or library and get some basic books. Then you can ask about things you don't understand on here. That's the best way to use this forum. When you buy a laptop I'd suggest you install a flavour of Linux, it's much more of a hands on operating system and you'll learn more using that than you will with Windows. Don't try to learn everything at once, build a solid base and grow from there. :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
For programming, C# is a great language to start with. It's easy to learn and understand and also allows for more complex stuff that something like Visual Basic wouldn't offer. Game mods for the most part would need to be written in C/C++ which are much more difficult to learn.

Ieuan

Thank you for the responses guys :)

I will indeed check the library out! I'm planning on learning the Anatomy of your basic computer first (Just started learning about the CPU, Motherboard and ALG) I figure it is bound to help me out in the long run!

I shall also pick up a book on coding to give a read also!

What do you guys think of the Language called 'Python'? I keep reading about it being the ideal behinner language as it's easy & simplified? ..Or would you still suggest C# first, then C, then into C++?

Thanks again :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
It depends what kind of programming route you want to go down. Python can be great and for the first few steps (eg. maths calculations) it is the simplest. But if you want to build a proper application it is much less suitable than C#, Java etc.

C# was the language that I started to learn properly and I'm glad I did. It meant I didn't need to change language very early in the learning curve which I thought may be an issue with Python and C# is almost identical to Java and similar to C/C++.

Python also uses a virtual machine and runs far slower than almost any other language.

Ieuan

A computer course?

I'm considering it mate.

Would like to have a tinker before I commit to a course, just to see if it's my sort of thing :)

Definetly looking at the courses in my nearby college, who knows, might go on to make a career out of it.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
You will need to be fluent in many programming languages and have proof of that if you wish to make a career of it.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
What do you guys think of the Language called 'Python'? I keep reading about it being the ideal behinner language as it's easy & simplified? ..Or would you still suggest C# first, then C, then into C++?

Depends what you want to do with it. A good way to learn python is on the raspberry pi, since you can get it to interact with other circuits and hardware.

As others have suggested C# is good, but C++ is used more now although it's a lot more difficult.

I personally program in java. You'll find that once you know a couple programming languages it's easier to learn more, since a lot of it is just remembering a new syntax and built in functions etc.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Depends what you want to do with it. A good way to learn python is on the raspberry pi, since you can get it to interact with other circuits and hardware.

As others have suggested C# is good, but C++ is used more now although it's a lot more difficult.

I personally program in java. You'll find that once you know a couple programming languages it's easier to learn more, since a lot of it is just remembering a new syntax and built in functions etc.

C++ is awful for a first language. But learning C# or even Java will put you in a good position for learning C++.

I am fairly good with C# and Java. They are very, very similar and in terms of writing the code, both have their benefits. Java is a lot more compatible apart from Xamarin for C#.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
C++ is awful for a first language. But learning C# or even Java will put you in a good position for learning C++.

I am fairly good with C# and Java. They are very, very similar and in terms of writing the code, both have their benefits. Java is a lot more compatible apart from Xamarin for C#.

Yeah, that's what i meant by saying it's a lot more difficult :p

I found it best to start with a really simple language that taught me the basic rules of programming and then move onto something harder like java

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
and C is even worse than C++. It doesn't even allow a string as a variable. Only a character array.

I did originally start doing a bit of html because it is so easy but isn't object oriented which i think are the best kind of languages to learn currently.

Ieuan

and C is even worse than C++. It doesn't even allow a string as a variable. Only a character array.

I did originally start doing a bit of html because it is so easy but isn't object oriented which i think are the best kind of languages to learn currently.

I see you've had no replies and that's not surprising. It's a hard question to answer, I learned what I know over the last 40 years! As a start vist your local bookshop or library and get some basic books. Then you can ask about things you don't understand on here. That's the best way to use this forum. When you buy a laptop I'd suggest you install a flavour of Linux, it's much more of a hands on operating system and you'll learn more using that than you will with Windows. Don't try to learn everything at once, build a solid base and grow from there. :)

Hey guys!

Got another question for you :)

Have any of you heard of the iPhone/iPad app called 'Codetogo'? It looks like a really promising app that allows coding on you're iPhone!

Could be a good investment until I get a laptop, Code.Org is ok, but it's not REAL coding obviously (It's block coding), at least I can start getting to grips with the C languages Syntax and all.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
A Raspberry Pi and a starter pack is an excellent (and cheap!) way to learn coding :)

There is also CodeAcademy (Google it!)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
CodeAcademy is pretty good for starting off. It has its limitations though once you reach a fairly low level of skill as it doesn't teach beyond that (at least from when I went through it).

I have tried coding on a tablet before and it is not easy. A keyboard taking half the screen and the requirements of all kinds of symbols makes it far from ideal. Plus the compatibility of Android or iOS is limited to Java and Objective-C respectively.

Last edited: