Which 15.6 notebook to buy?

Hello everyone,
i'm looking forward to buy a 15.6 inch notebook, mostly for gaming and some programming.
I live in Italy, and my choice are limited to the following models, all equipped with I7 10th gen and rtx2060: Optimus XI for €940, Optimus Pro for €1.051, Vyper III for €1.227. The price is for the base model without RAM and SSD since i already have those.
I tried confronting them from the configurator but i can't see any real difference. Is the Vyper III worth the extra €180 or i can go with the Optimus XI without any issue?
My biggest concern is for the cooling system, since i've been using an acer for the last 4 years and i don't want to end up with a sloppy thermal throttling pile of hardware again.
Thanks!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I wouldn’t recommend the Vyper, it has a power issue that severely throttles it when running on battery, real shame because otherwise it’s a superb laptop.

Do you need the laptop right now? Reason I ask is they’re about to announce new models at CES in January with 3000 GPU’s and new CPU’s. Plus possibly 1440p screens which have started showing up.

Right now is right at the tail end of the lifetime of these chassis, I’d highly recommend waiting if you can.

Thank you so much for the quick reply!
I'm not really in a hurry but my current notebook is on the verge of dying after 4 years of unhealthy temperatures and I'd like to take advantage of the Christmas discount on Intel processors.

I'm not too interested in high definition displays as I would keep the pc connected to an external monitor 90% of the time (but as a student i need a minimum level of mobility), and as for the new RTX I guess it will have to wait about 3/6 months before they are available under 1300€, and sadly that's too much time for me.

PS, sorry for any mistake, English is not my first language

FerrariVie

Super Star
I agree with @SpyderTracks . Just one thing that caught my attention from your post: You said that you configured the laptop with no RAM or storage, but that is not allowed from what I know. You can check that clicking on the PROCEED button, it will very likely give you a warning message about this.

So now it's just up to your budget and which of the chassis that you can afford. Usually, thicker laptops will have a better cooling solution, as in most cases it will also mean bigger fans and more space for air to flow, so I would suggest the OPTIMUS XI (which is also cheaper)

I agree with @SpyderTracks . Just one thing that caught my attention from your post: You said that you configured the laptop with no RAM or storage, but that is not allowed from what I know. You can check that clicking on the PROCEED button, it will very likely give you a warning message about this.

So now it's just up to your budget and which of the chassis that you can afford. Usually, thicker laptops will have a better cooling solution, as in most cases it will also mean bigger fans and more space for air to flow, so I would suggest the OPTIMUS XI (which is also cheaper)
Thanks Fevieira, i bought the Optimus XI on the end of december.
You're right, i wasn't able to select a configuration without storage or RAM, so i went with the cheap 4GB ram module and a 1TB SSD, cheaper on the configurator than on any italian shop.
Now i'm left with the harder part: waiting.

Well, the pre-orders for the laptops with RTX 3060 came quicker than expected, so i had to cancel my order and go with the Elimina laptop (that looks like it uses the same chassis as the optimus XI), for just 150 euros more.
Now i have to wait even more, damn!

FerrariVie

Super Star
Well, the pre-orders for the laptops with RTX 3060 came quicker than expected, so i had to cancel my order and go with the Elimina laptop (that looks like it uses the same chassis as the optimus XI), for just 150 euros more.
Now i have to wait even more, damn!
Yeah, if you can wait until Feb/March (maybe April?), then it is indeed a lot better option. I would guess that the 3060 has similar performance to a current 2080, which is A LOT more expensive.

maxff9

Bronze Level Poster
My NOVA laptop Ryzen 5 3600 + RTX2070 is awaiting for dispatch (since 7 days) but I now see the ELIMINA with the RTX3060.
With the same RAM and storage, they are exactly the same price... Would you recommend me to quickly cancel my NOVA and go for ELIMINA ? The chatguy told me the ETA was mid-February for the ELIMINA.

Bhuna50

Author Level
My NOVA laptop Ryzen 5 3600 + RTX2070 is awaiting for dispatch (since 7 days) but I now see the ELIMINA with the RTX3060.
With the same RAM and storage, they are exactly the same price... Would you recommend me to quickly cancel my NOVA and go for ELIMINA ? The chatguy told me the ETA was mid-February for the ELIMINA.
Are you sure its same price? Elimina starts off quite a bit higher than a Nova and quickly speccing your signature shows there to be over £100 difference.

Its up to you but bear in mind you will be switching from AMD to Intel as well. :)

ETA on the newer laptops is February - exact dates of when they are beginning to ship them can be seen going into the configuration page.

maxff9

Bronze Level Poster
Yes I checked several times and my NOVA costed me 1330€ and the ELIMINA 1319€. I think I bought the NOVA when prices were high.
Indeed I would be going from a DTR with an AMD CPU to a mobile intel CPU. But the better GPU is worth it no ?

I am really hesitating as it's not really urgent (still many PS4 games to finish and few time). The biggest issue is the uncertain delivery date and the troubles to contact PCS, cancel, buy again etc.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Its purely up to you. If you wait, you might see prices go up again but also you will likely see:

AMD Ryzen new chips and have a choice of 1440p monitors with the laptop.

maxff9

Bronze Level Poster
Haha yes I know but I am really undecided right now. I fear they will have troubles to get the parts and at the end, I receive the laptop in 10 years. There is no guarantee with stocks right now, I guess. New products + brexit + coronavirus. If they could ship my NOVA today, I would settle... A better idea of the performance of the RTX3060 would be nice, to know what I'd be missing but there is no benchmark yet.
Maybe I'll toss a coin.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Bear in mind as well though the cost of returning it if they dispatch - I dont know where you are based, but as you have quoted in Euros, Im assuming its not in the UK.

maxff9

Bronze Level Poster
Ah... As I was thinking fast to take a decision before they ship it, they actually ship ! It will make the process much more tedious (and not free) so I'll stick with my NOVA RTX2070 and it should be fine.
I was worried it took so long to be dispatched before coming to post here, so I opened a chatbox and the guy told me he was going to check what was the issue. Now I am expected it on next Wednesday.

FerrariVie

Super Star
Ah... As I was thinking fast to take a decision before they ship it, they actually ship ! It will make the process much more tedious (and not free) so I'll stick with my NOVA RTX2070 and it should be fine.
I was worried it took so long to be dispatched before coming to post here, so I opened a chatbox and the guy told me he was going to check what was the issue. Now I am expected it on next Wednesday.
You were actually lucky to get the 2070 and 3600, as they seem to be out of stock for a good while now.

maxff9

Bronze Level Poster
Maybe I got the last one ? I believe it is a good combination and I have a lot of hope for this laptop.
I'll be back on the forum to tweak the settings and get the best performances.

FerrariVie

Super Star
Maybe I got the last one ? I believe it is a good combination and I have a lot of hope for this laptop.
I'll be back on the forum to tweak the settings and get the best performances.
Sure! We're here to help you get the most out of it.

Feel free to share your 3dmark Firestrike results on the laptop benchmark thread, as those might help us to spot something that should be performing better:

maxff9

Bronze Level Poster
Ok I'll for sure. I downloaded 3dmark already. It will be interesting to run those tests and my friend bought exactly the same model as me, so we'll have some "statistics".
I see you have a NOVA as well, may I disturb you one day if I want to tweak the parameters a bit ? My friend is complaining about the noise of the fans (maybe some temperature issues ?) and it scares me.

FerrariVie

Super Star
Ok I'll for sure. I downloaded 3dmark already. It will be interesting to run those tests and my friend bought exactly the same model as me, so we'll have some "statistics".
I see you have a NOVA as well, may I disturb you one day if I want to tweak the parameters a bit ? My friend is complaining about the noise of the fans (maybe some temperature issues ?) and it scares me.
Of course you can.

Each person will set up their laptops in a different way, but I can share what I did with mine. I'm quite happy with it now (thermals and noise included), after a few months of research and tweaking .