Which 15 inch chassis is better? Ionico vs Recoil

Akli

Bronze Level Poster
I have configured both Ionico and Recoil with the same specs.

I want to know which chassis is better. Which has better thermals, which is more feature-rich etc.
I like the slim design of the Ionico but if the thermals are significantly worse it is not worth it.

Ionico:

Chassis & Display
Ionico Series: 15.6" Matte QHD 165Hz sRGB 100% LED Widescreen (2560x1440)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen™ 9 Eight Core Processor 5900HX (3.3GHz, 4.6GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair 2933MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB CORSAIR MP400 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD (up to 3480 MB/R, 3000 MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated Micro-SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor
1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre European Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Battery
Ionico Series Integrated 62WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless Network Card
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.2 PORT (Type C) + 3 x USB 3.2 PORTS
Keyboard Language
IONICO SERIES RGB BACKLIT USA KEYBOARD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System Language
Netherlands/Nederland - Dutch Language
Windows Recovery Media
NO RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
2 DAY DELIVERY TO NETHERLANDS
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 14 to 16 working days
Promotional Item
Get 6 Months Founders Membership to GeForce Now w/ select RTX 30 Series Laptops

Recoil:

Chassis & Display
Recoil Series: 15.6" Matte QHD 165Hz sRGB 100% LED Widescreen (2560x1440)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen™ 9 Eight Core Processor 5900HX (3.3GHz, 4.6GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair 2933MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB CORSAIR MP400 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD (up to 3480 MB/R, 3000 MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor
1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre European Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Battery
Recoil Series Integrated 94WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless Network Card
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.2 PORT (Type C) + 3 x USB 3.2 PORTS
Keyboard Language
PER-KEY RGB BACKLIT USA MECHANICAL KEYBOARD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System Language
Netherlands/Nederland - Dutch Language
Windows Recovery Media
NO RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
2 DAY DELIVERY TO NETHERLANDS
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 14 to 16 working days
Promotional Item
Get 6 Months Founders Membership to GeForce Now w/ select RTX 30 Series Laptops

Akli

Bronze Level Poster
I heard cpu temps being around 95c on the Ionico. Wouldn't it make more sense to supply these laptops with Ryzen 7 5800h. Those run significantly cooler and the performance loss is not that much.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I heard cpu temps being around 95c on the Ionico. Wouldn't it make more sense to supply these laptops with Ryzen 7 5800h. Those run significantly cooler and the performance loss is not that much.
Any Intel laptop will run very hot, you're expected these days to apply an undervolt which isn't allowed to be done by the supplier.

Nedd Ludd

I must admit that I look at the depth of a laptop. It makes sense that the more airflow inside, the cooler the laptop will be. The thickness of these new laptops scares me. <20 mm, really? The components must be almost touching the case.

Akli

Bronze Level Poster
I must admit that I look at the depth of a laptop. It makes sense that the more airflow inside, the cooler the laptop will be. The thickness of these new laptops scares me. <20 mm, really? The components must be almost touching the case.
I guess the thicker Recoil would have better thermals. But both are not ideal being so thin and having these components that get really hot. From what I have read is that both CPU's will thermal throttle. And I am looking for a laptop that I can use for at least 5 years. It would be a bummer if it stopped working due to temperature-related damage. I might call PCS to ask if they will ever supply these laptops with Ryzen 7 5800h in the future. This AMD CPU would make much more sense for laptops this thin.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I guess the thicker Recoil would have better thermals. But both are not ideal being so thin and having these components that get really hot. From what I have read is that both CPU's will thermal throttle. And I am looking for a laptop that I can use for at least 5 years. It would be a bummer if it stopped working due to temperature-related damage. I might call PCS to ask if they will ever supply these laptops with Ryzen 7 5800h in the future. This AMD CPU would make much more sense for laptops this thin.
All Ryzen laptops sold out pretty much instantly when they were released and haven’t been restricted since.

Macco26

Expert
Recoil is 0,5 cm thicker hence it allows more themal dissipation. If you are deciding between 15 vs 15 inch size, Recoil is surely cooler. I've the Ionico 17, and compared to 15 has wider side radiators and, despite veeery thin, it unbelievably can sustain 140W GPU no problem (I own the 3070, made several benchmarks videos for different games), with not so high temperatures.

PS: Recoil with RTX3080 does allow 10W more TGP on the GPU (150W) vs the Ionico 15 (140W) for the above reasons. RTX3070 does not change, though. Both max out at 140W max.

NBrooke

The 5900HX is just a better binned 5800H (Jarrod's Tech has a good review to show this). The better binned part will be more efficient and will need less power to do the same task. This would actually translate to it being cooler in most workloads than the 5800H. It sounds counter intuitive that the more capable part runs cooler, but it manages this as it's more efficient.