Which Browser?

A L-pc

I have mainly been using Internet Explorer/Edge, but there are 3 options. What are the pro's/con's of Edge, Chrome and Firefox please?

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I've used Chrome for a while now, it's a bit resource heavy but I've plenty to spare and haven't had much issues with it. Also links my Google accounts together which is handy

Firefox is pretty decent too

Edge is for installing either Firefox or Chrome... I hear it's gotten better though

A L-pc

Chrome: It's easier to sync it to any other Google stuff; on the other hand, it is a resource hog...each tab you open, opens 3-5 processes so, if you have 4 tabs open, you could have 15-20 processes open

Firefox: SImple to use, less resource intensive; there have been some recent security concerns with it

Edge: Least resource intensive, part of Windows so less prone to issues; takes some getting used to.

Personally, I used to use a combination of Chrome/Firefox until I had to wipe my system and din't bother reinstalling Chrome....have had no issue with Firefox personally. Edge occasionally gets used if something opens up in it but I haven't really used it

Please don't tell me that you are using Internet Explorer? I assume you just meant it as Edge superceding it. IE has been full of holes for years even before they stopped suppoorting it with security patches etc

Thanks for the information. I have been using Edge for a while, ever since it randomly appeared after a windows update. Didn't really notice it at first.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I use two browsers. Edge is the default and has no security related extensions installed. My wife uses this one exclusively and I will use it if or when my preferred browser has issues with sites.

My preferred browser is currently Vivaldi, and has been for some time. Its a very configurable Chromium browser (without the Chrome spyware). I have several security and privacy extensions installed on there and on occasions I run it in a sandbox for ultimate protection.

IMO there is no ideal browser and it's wise to have a ready choice to be able to fire up.

BTW I like Vivaldi because it regularly updates as the base Chromium engine is updated. Many Chromium browsers don't update often enough for me.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
My preferred browser is waterfox, I try to avoid chrome like the plague/corona virus, in fact on my Android phone i have it disabled

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My preferred browser is waterfox, I try to avoid chrome like the plague/corona virus, in fact on my Android phone i have it disabled
Have to agree, Chrome has become such a huge resource hog, it's just incredibly bloated and inefficient these days.

Edge is based on Chrome, but far more efficient, plus you can use the chrome store for any addon's.

Harag

Gold Level Poster
Just like @ubuysa I use the Vivaldi browser, I use the syncing ability and use it at work too so it syncs the bookmarks etc at work, along with some extensions I use. My alternative is Edge, but rare use of that now.

My work pc has all 3 main browsers on it as I do web developing and need to still test in all major browser -- even IE 11 :( Arrrhhh!

But Personal use - Vivalidi for me.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I've got Safari, Firefox, Brave, Opera, Edge Chromium, Tor Browser, Waterfox (across different machines/OSes).

I just use them as 'sandboxes' for different purposes:
  • Safari for general browsing on the MacOS/iOS/iPadOS
  • Edge Chromium for general browsing on Windows
  • Brave for it's built-in ad-blocking
  • Tor browser for nefarious stuff
  • Firefox for a couple of sites that seem to work best in Firefox
  • Opera for some where I need to enable cross-site tracking to get cash back (have cross-site trackers turned off in the rest)

Don Coyote

I am really pleased with Edge and have it as the default browser on my iPad and iPhone as well. Favourites etc all sync well and I particularly like the ability to automatically open, and continue reading, a web page on my PC that I am viewing on my iOS device. It all works so much better across my devices than trying to use iCloud for Windows.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Just like @ubuysa I use the Vivaldi browser, I use the syncing ability and use it at work too so it syncs the bookmarks etc at work, along with some extensions I use. My alternative is Edge, but rare use of that now.

My work pc has all 3 main browsers on it as I do web developing and need to still test in all major browser -- even IE 11 :( Arrrhhh!

But Personal use - Vivalidi for me.
I've stopped using Vivaldi. During an audit of my networking traffic I spotted a fairly regular encrypted data exchange between the Vivaldi browser and IP address 31.209.137.5, this is in the address range of an ISP called hringdu.is. Now I know that Vivaldi has a development site in Iceland but sending data to an unknown host on a public Icelandic ISP is not acceptable to me.

Just posting this so that people know. :)

Harag

Gold Level Poster
I've stopped using Vivaldi. During an audit of my networking traffic I spotted a fairly regular encrypted data exchange between the Vivaldi browser and IP address 31.209.137.5, this is in the address range of an ISP called hringdu.is. Now I know that Vivaldi has a development site in Iceland but sending data to an unknown host on a public Icelandic ISP is not acceptable to me.

Just posting this so that people know. :)
Did you use good ole wireshark for the looking at the traffic?

That IP address is "update.vivaldi.com" so I guess it's sending info to check if any updates are required. I often get prompted when a new update is available. I don't think it's much more than this. It's using port 443 so it's basically HTTPS as that is the port used for secure transfer.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Did you use good ole wireshark for the looking at the traffic?

That IP address is "update.vivaldi.com" so I guess it's sending info to check if any updates are required. I often get prompted when a new update is available. I don't think it's much more than this. It's using port 443 so it's basically HTTPS as that is the port used for secure transfer.
I understand very well what it is but a browser that uses an update server on a public ISP isn't one I care to trust.

Not only that but there is no requirement just for update purposes to need to connect to the 'update server' several times every day.

You have to be able to trust the tools you use and I no longer trust Vivaldi.