Build advice

andrewgepearce

I am trying to plan a build for a PC with AMD CPU - probably Zen 3 when it comes out - and RTX 3080 GPU. I want to build the quietest high spec machine I can. This would be my first PC build for many, many years!

Trying to understand the situation with coolers. My first instinct was "NOCTUA NH-U14S FAN CPU COOLER". But a number of posts seem to recommend the "CORSAIR H115I ..." models.

- Should I choose AIO cooler over the Noctua?
- Whats the difference between CORSAIR H115I PRO and CORSAIR H115I PLATINUM? Only RGB or something more?
- Does the presence of PCS CORSAIR H115I PRO with QUIET FANS mean the H115I is inherently noisy? How reliable and how much difference does this PCS modification make?

Many thanks!
Andrew

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
The Noctua is one of the best air coolers but if you’ll be planning on a Zen 3 with a higher core count you’re definitely going to want to go for the H115i RGB Platinum. Even if you’re going to have it shut away in a case where you’ll never see the RGB it’s well worth it.

Reasons for it would be it’s highly efficient cooling with a good sized radiator for dissipation of heat. It also beats the ‘ultra quiet fans’ because it uses the ML fans which work off the magnetic levitation principle. Hence, no bearings and super ultra mega quiet.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
We can’t really comment on individual components as they all inter relate.

If you post your full proposed spec and what it’s for and your max budget then with can give some advice

andrewgepearce

Thanks @AgentCooper, good info!

@SpyderTracks, my spec is:

FRACTAL DEFINE 7 BLACK QUIET MID-TOWER CASE
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.6GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 (Pre-Order Only)
2TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 5000MB/R, 4400MB/W)
16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW & SOFTWARE
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

Max Budget £2800

Use is for work (local and remote desktop), some VMs, and 4k gaming.

Thanks, Andrew

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0

Max Budget £2800

Thanks, Andrew
You can drop the thermal paste as the cooler comes preapplied with high quality paste but otherwise that’s spot on, lovely build :)

I might suggest splitting the drive to 2 x 1Tb, then you can store your vm’s on the second drive and not lose then if you have to reinstall windows.

target680

Bronze Level Poster

Max Budget £2800

Thanks, Andrew

I ordered an i7 10700k with a 3080. I went with the Noctu air cooler. I stayed away for water cooling

Reviews are mixed but i went on Gaming nexus and they have benchmarks and stuff and reviews of lots of coolers defintly worth checking out.

I was worried at first but now im settled on using an air cooler it will be more than enough.

andrewgepearce

I have been close to finalising an order with PCS:
  • Fractal Define 7 case
  • AMD 5900 CPU
  • 32GB @3200Mhz Corsair Vengeance
  • Nvidia RTX3080 GPU
  • 2 x M2 Seagate Firecuda 1TB
  • Corsair 850W RMX Modular Gold PSU
  • Corsair H115i Platinum Cooler
  • Asus ROG Strix X570-F M/B
I am on a mission to keep heat impact as low as possible - there is a chance that the PC may have to be placed in a not-too well ventilated cupboard (at least some of the time). I wanted a M/B that has a low thermal profile as I can manage, reducing impact on fans and cooling requirements.

I read reviews that the MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk is very good (and includesWiFi), and is about the same price point as the Asus ROG Strix X570-F. But is not available at PCS! However PCS does have ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero, which is also meant to be good thermally, but seems to be more pricey.

Any advice on whether I should bust a gut for the Tomahawk, or pay more for the Hero, or just stick with the Strix?

Thanks, Andrew

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have been close to finalising an order with PCS:
  • Fractal Define 7 case
  • AMD 5900 CPU
  • 32GB @3200Mhz Corsair Vengeance
  • Nvidia RTX3080 GPU
  • 2 x M2 Seagate Firecuda 1TB
  • Corsair 850W RMX Modular Gold PSU
  • Corsair H115i Platinum Cooler
  • Asus ROG Strix X570-F M/B
I am on a mission to keep heat impact as low as possible - there is a chance that the PC may have to be placed in a not-too well ventilated cupboard (at least some of the time). I wanted a M/B that has a low thermal profile as I can manage, reducing impact on fans and cooling requirements.

I read reviews that the MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk is very good (and includesWiFi), and is about the same price point as the Asus ROG Strix X570-F. But is not available at PCS! However PCS does have ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero, which is also meant to be good thermally, but seems to be more pricey.

Any advice on whether I should bust a gut for the Tomahawk, or pay more for the Hero, or just stick with the Strix?

Thanks, Andrew
We can only advise on PCS builds where you buy the whole computer and it’s built for you. You can’t do part orders.

If you’re interested in a PCS build, please post your full specs including configuration link: