Which is better? (Power Supply)

Serendipity

Enthusiast
1010W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan

or

CORSAIR 850 ENTHUSIAST SERIES TX850 V2-80 PLUS BRONZE

They seem to be the same price, currently my P.C will only be using around 640 WATT but I'd like to have more in the future in case I want to buy 2 graphics cards and upgrade it generally.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
well if you want two 6970s you will need a 1200W so both are useless in your case, and for an expensive rig i will always recommend a corsair one, they are much more reliable and cheaper PSUs usually degrade and often end up quite weak

Serendipity

Enthusiast
Right, I might just get a lower corsair one in that case... I'll deal with the upgrading and higher wattage when it comes to the time.

Y

YtVL3RAjrYWJ

2 HD6970's in X-fire & a high end CPU ON FULL 100% LOAD which is almost never gonna happen takes up around 600W - 650W

Go for Corsair 850W, I use this with my Phenom II X6 1100t and X-fire 6970's plus 2 optical drives n SSD n HDD and it's well enough in bounds..

Google it, and you'll see 850W is more than enough for X-fire.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
We notice that you have selected a 350W power supply, but based on our calculations we recommend you change your selection to a 1050W power supply because your computer could require up to 970W of power including a 20% allowance.

this is with exactly the same spec as serendipity but with 2x6970s

Serendipity

Enthusiast
Thanks, I'm not looking to upgrade anytime soon... but it's nice to know if I want to I can without getting a new one.

I might stick to one 6970 with a decent corsair power supply.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
for a start, with not everything you have on there, one of the PSU calculators recommends 771W and thats not with any capacitor aging

tom_gr7

Life Serving
With a psu, I'd rather have more juice left in the psu, so the psu itself is not running at full max all the time, therefore less strain on the psu, less heat. And go for modular if possible.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
most PSUs wouldnt be at full strain anyway, if the parts are using less power, then it will be supplying less power, only in gaming will it be anywhere near full power, or other intense tasks

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Yeah i get ya wozza, but say bf3 gamin on max settings, cpu going crazy, 580/s going crazy, fan controller with fans on max, I would rather be sure i had enough juice.