Which monitor is best for my setup?

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I know these threads pop up all the time about "what's the best monitor?" blah blah but I feel I'm in quite a unique setup and not really sure about the best route to take.

As you can see from my sig, my rig is an i5 supported by the GTX670. I don't monitor my FPS often while playing but when I have done I've seen some pretty impressive figures come up into triple figures. My problem is I'm currently gaming on a 32 inch Hitachi LCD and as good as it is for watching Sky, Xbox, etc it seems to be lacking performance when it comes to my pc. When I turn onto my HDMI channel, the info box displays as 1920x1080i and 60hz. However, when I go onto my pc resolution settings on the desktop, I need my settings at 1768x992 to fit the screen on and for some reason the refresh rate is only 30hz which makes me think my gaming visuals are being seriously crippled (from what I understand, if I'm only gaming at 30hz then I'm only seeing 30fps right? Makes me wish I'd just stuck with my xbox).

Firstly, can anyone explain the current issues I'm having and if there's a way to change it. I can't understand why the info box on my tv would say one thing but my desktop says another. Am I doing something wrong or is the tv just very low quality? It was a very cheap one to replace my old hitachi which I'm thinking about swapping back as for some reason this new one only has 1 hdmi port compared to my old one having 2 (which makes me think it could be lower quality performance wise).

Secondly, I'm thinking about just scrapping the whole 32inch LCD route and buying something new now that Christmas is done and gone. The problem is I sit about 6-7feet away from my tv which is currently only the wall so I need something big enough that still allows me to read everything clearly without straining but also something that's good enough to 'wow' me. From what I've seen from monitors, the biggest sizes tend to be 27inch and if I go for a decent one, I could be looking at spending £300 for one of those which makes me think if I go any bigger I'm going to be bankrupt. Also, I assume it's best to go for 120hz over 60hz but my question is if I'm only averageing at just over 60fps while playing intense games, am I really going to be seeing the benefits from getting a 120hz monitor? I'd love to go for the 120 but if it's going to look choppy because my fps isn't high enough then I'm not sure what to do. Then again, after spending £1000 on a desktop I'd expect to need a pretty top spec monitor either way.

Am I best looking at 27 inch monitors or should I be going for a bigger HDTV with better specs? My hitachi was pretty cheap and nasty. Or perhaps I should be looking at HD projectors to fill my wall? Could I mount a normal monitor onto my existing tv bracket? Would a 27 inch monitor even be big enough from 6 feet away. I know it'll be clearer but from that distance will I even be able to notice? I'm not a massive graphics geek but I would like to justify why I spent so much money on a thing that currently seems to be running on a par graphics wise with my 5 year old xbox.

Thanks guys, I know it's a lot of questions but I'm genuinely lost in what to do. I don't really have a budget as I can save pretty quickly but if I wanted to buy it in the next month or two I'd probably be looking in the £300-£400 area. Obviously if you can suggest something that would be worth saving for I'd do that. I did just order a 2m HDMI cable in hope to hook my rig up to my dad's brand new 42 inch panasonic tv which was about £750 so hopefully when that arrives I'll see some improvements to motivate me to save up for something decent.

Cheers :)

Just to add, I mainly game using a xbox controller at the moment as I'm playing alot of single-player fps's but I also dabble into MMO's like GW2 so I'd like something that would display nicely on both.

Karnor00

Bright Spark
Basically you don't have a Full HD TV. The 1920x1080i means you have an interlaced TV. Basically, this means that each frame refreshes every other line on the screen (and the next refresh does the lines in between). Effectively this means that it takes 2 frames to fully refresh the screen, and hence why 60Hz interlaced is really a 30Hz full refresh rate. So yup, you are really only getting 30fps from your TV - but you did say it was cheap and nasty :taz:

You dont necessarily need a huge monitor or 120Hz TV, what you would need would be a Full HD TV (1920x1080p) which refreshes every line on the screen each frame. So a Full HD 60Hz really would be 60fps.

For your other issue, I'm not sure why you are needing to run in 1768x992 to fit everything on the screen - there's no reason this should be the case. At a guess you probably need to play around with some settings on your TV to get everything to fit on screen properly at 1920x1080.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Thanks Karnor, I knew that 1080i was the lower setting but like you, I was not aware that this would effect how much I could fit onto my screen so I guess I'll trawl through the settings again. That's really useful about the interlacing though! It's definitely motivated me to look into scrapping it completely and getting something decent. The tv was about £180 in an Argos sale and this was before the days of wanting a gaming pc so it was a bargain x)

Would you suggest just saving for a full HD screen at 60hz or would I notice a lot of difference going for a 120hz? I do regularly get between 60-120fps while gaming but like I said, on things like BF3 it's more towards the 60fps side of things.

Rakk

The Awesome
Would you suggest just saving for a full HD screen at 60hz or would I notice a lot of difference going for a 120hz? I do regularly get between 60-120fps while gaming but like I said, on things like BF3 it's more towards the 60fps side of things.

Well remember that most people won't actually notice the difference once it goes above 60fps anyway, so unless you are one of those people who can tell the difference or are planning on gaming in 3D or watching 3D stuff, the 60Hz one will be fine

Karnor00

Bright Spark
I'd agree with Rakk on this - the difference between 120Hz and 60Hz is so small that most people can't even tell the difference (I put myself in this category).

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Well remember that most people won't actually notice the difference once it goes above 60fps anyway, so unless you are one of those people who can tell the difference or are planning on gaming in 3D or watching 3D stuff, the 60Hz one will be fine

Thanks Rakk! Forgot about my human limitations, was getting ahead of myself there! Looks like the new car is going on hold again...