Which RTX 3060... (and do not just say 3070, that’s not the point)

Gavras

Master Poster
At present the Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti comes with 8GB VRAM,

there are various rumours (including registered part numbers) for further 3060 cards, non Ti version but as the link below shows, with more memory.

would you go for a RTX 3060 12gb or RTX 3060 TI 8GB

AND why would you, justify the reason 😊
(obviously if the price of the 3060 12gb gets too close to the 3070, then it’s a 3070)

current price of a RTX 3060 Ti starts at £369 https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/graphics-cards/30-series/rtx-3060-ti/

With RTX 3070 starting at £469 https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/graphics-cards/30-series/rtx-3070/

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I've got a 3070, so will wait for a 4080 or 4070Ti...but I'll wait until they're actually available, and at RRP/MSRP or less.

Although did just miss out on a 3080FE on Scan for £649.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
IMHO, at the 3060 level, you're purely looking at 1440p gaming, I doubt any render job would look at such a low tier card.

Just in the gaming sphere, I see no benefit from the extra VRAM. Unless I'm missing something and the extra requirements from Ray Tracing or the upcoming RTX IO SSD utilisation requires substantially more VRAM which would make sense now I think of it?

Gavras

Master Poster
Well more fun to add to the 3000 mix lol.

Where does the RTX 3060 Ultra fit in.

Faster than the 3060 Ti and with 12gb GDDR 6 memory

although I have my doubts...

Pleased I have held off jumping in to the 3000 days and counting graphics card saga.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Well more fun to add to the 3000 mix lol.

Where does the RTX 3060 Ultra fit in.

Faster than the 3060 Ti and with 12gb GDDR 6 memory

although I have my doubts...

Pleased I have held off jumping in to the 3000 days and counting graphics card saga.
I really don't understand nVidia's reasoning for half these cards. Unless they're basically admitting that the initial VRAM quantities on the initial cards is in fact too little to make use of upcoming tech like NVIDIA IO and other new tech.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I really don't understand nVidia's reasoning for half these cards. Unless they're basically admitting that the initial VRAM quantities on the initial cards is in fact too little to make use of upcoming tech like NVIDIA IO and other new tech.
I’m just going to get a marker pen and write ‘ultra’ on the side of my 3070. Instant upgrade 👍

Gavras

Master Poster
I agree, it will take another 12 months to actually find out what the best price point is.

Also major software houses do work closely with the likes of NVidia and may have asked for more memory for RDR3 or update to MSFS 2021.