Which SSD

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
So the time has come to upgrade my PC again, although only the harddrive at the moment. I had problems with my vertex 3 SSD, which PCS were happy to help with, but am looking to buy a new SSD, probably a 256GB one to go alongside my 128GB vertex 3 and my 1TB and 2TB cavier blacks. Question is, what SSD? I was looking at the vertex 4, would you guys recommend it?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I also had issues with my ocz drives, ended up with 3 vertex two's, until i got fed up and switched to corsair.

What about Kingston or intel? On the forums we rarely hear of issues with either drive.

whichever drive you get, make sure you update the driver firmware before you start using it.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I also had issues with my ocz drives, ended up with 3 vertex two's, until i got fed up and switched to corsair.

What about Kingston or intel? On the forums we rarely hear of issues with either drive.

whichever drive you get, make sure you update the driver firmware before you start using it.

I ended up getting a Samsung 840 250GB drive, see how that goes, I will upgrade the firmware on the vertex 3 whcih apparently should sort out the last few issues im having with it. Ill update the firmware on the new drive tomorrow before I wipe the PC.

I did look at Intel, but theyre a bit pricey, kingston seemed ok too, but the samsung 840 seemed to get pretty good reviews everywhere I looked. Hopefully it works better than this vertex 3.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
yeah I've heard good things of the samsung ssd's.

I aint had any problems with my Corsair force gt, only problem is they are expensive which is probably due to the brand.

Bleu

I'm not sure if I'm too late but I had the chance to try out both the Samsung 840 and the Samsung 840 Pro both 256GB models. The "Pro" was noticeably faster, if you haven't already bought the 840 I'd consider upgrading to the Pro model if you can afford the extra cost.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Thanks Bleu, I actually bought the 840 pro but said id bought the 840 due to lazy typing lol. Ended up getting a 2TB Cavier Black too so going to use my vertex 3 as a cache drive for the Cavier Black.

mgsolidus

Enthusiast
Samsung are the only ones to design and manufacture EVERYTHING inside their SSD's. Every other company is using something from someone else.
I've read around at reviews and benchmarks, and the 840 Pro is an excellent drive.

Bleu

Thanks Bleu, I actually bought the 840 pro but said id bought the 840 due to lazy typing lol. Ended up getting a 2TB Cavier Black too so going to use my vertex 3 as a cache drive for the Cavier Black.

No problem I'm glad. :)

If I may ask is it difficult to set up a cache drive? I also use Cavier Black 2TB drives and would be interested in using a cache drive.