Who has the most terrible daily pc?

eojeel

Administrator
Staff member
I will start.

Case: unbranded black box
CPU: Pentium Dual Core (G3258) 3.2GHz (OC to 4.8ghz)
Mobo: Gigabyte Z97P-D3
Ram: 24gb DDR3.
GPU: GTX 970 G1 gaming (SOLD IT)
Storage: 256gb crucial SSH, 500gh 5200rpm HDD

For a £60 CPU i more than happy with it boots in seconds, mind i don't often switch my pc on at home :ROFLMAO:

FYI: this is my personal home pc.

Last edited:

debiruman665

Enthusiast
I've got an Optimus 3 that has all the F buttons and several top row number buttons bitten off by my cockatiel when I fell asleep on the couch with them out the cage.

Several other buttons have also been bitten off but a firm press down and it sort of clicked into place. They have a hit or miss rate of actually working and some are for display purposes only.

------------------------------------

In work, i have a Dell Inspiron 15 which does the job but it suffered from 100% disk usage bugs and I ended up having to put an SSD into it.

eojeel

Administrator
Staff member
I've got an Optimus 3 that has all the F buttons and several top row number buttons bitten off by my cockatiel when I fell asleep on the couch with them out the cage.

Several other buttons have also been bitten off but a firm press down and it sort of clicked into place. They have a hit or miss rate of actually working and some are for display purposes only.

------------------------------------

In work, i have a Dell Inspiron 15 which does the job but it suffered from 100% disk usage bugs and I ended up having to put an SSD into it.

🤭 ow dear, I want to see this keyboard now, and the cockatiel

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Although not a daily box I have an ancient Compaq laptop with an Intel Centrino CPU of pensionable age, 2GB of pitifully slow RAM and an 80GB 5400rpm HDD. It runs Windows 7, although 'runs' is used in its loosest sense here, it has a boot time comparable to the half-life of carbon-14, and a display so unremarkable that a child with coloured crayons can do better.

I did try installing a tiny Linux on there to see whether that helped. It didn't as it happens, but I was able to watch the entire series of Game Of Thrones as it installed, so the time wasn't entirely wasted.

It's currently sitting on a cabinet in our spare room, where it's doing an extremely good job of keeping dust from settling on the cabinet surface. I would consider promoting it to a doorstop were it not for its rather large volume, it certainly has sufficient mass to be very effective in that role.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Very nice, especially for such a basic cooler!

I got mine to 4GHz on the stock cooler, with temps in the 80s under Prime95.. somewhere around 1.275v iirc. H81I-plus (pro *OC mobo there...) I never really played with it to see how far it would go and I don't get to use that PC much.

Last edited:

eojeel

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice, especially for such a basic cooler!

I got mine to 4GHz on the stock cooler, with temps in the 80s under Prime95.. somewhere around 1.275v iirc. H81I-plus (pro PC mobo there...) I never really played with it to see how far it would go and I don't get to use that PC much.

I've been trying to push it to 5ghz, but nothing is looking stable after 4.8 :(

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I've had a few companies try to get me to use truly horrendous kit - "it's got our corporate image".

I always just virtualise it and run it on my own. Added benefit that when the time comes to hand it back, the image is pristine.

I've had a few odd looks over the years when they've noticed.

This is one area where I genuinely miss Citrix XenClient - a bare metal, desktop-based, hypervisor. Loved it.