Why do today what you can put off for 6 months?!

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I upgraded my PC's RAM from 16GB to 32GB back in the summer and finally got around to selling the old kit on ebay. Put a starting bid of £10 (had no idea where to start to be honest) and it eventually sold for just over £25. The initial bidder was selling a load of individual memory chips for what I feel were crazy prices, and they were all quite a bit slower and older than what I was selling - they'd have potentially made a killing if they'd gotten mine for a tenner, but were eventually outbid.

Considering I paid £80 for the new kit, I'm fairly pleased to have gotten a bit back for the old one, although I could probably have gotten more if I'd pushed a higher starting price.

Now I need to start selling old DVDs and stuff - might do that in June!

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
I upgraded my PC's RAM from 16GB to 32GB back in the summer and finally got around to selling the old kit on ebay. Put a starting bid of £10 (had no idea where to start to be honest) and it eventually sold for just over £25. The initial bidder was selling a load of individual memory chips for what I feel were crazy prices, and they were all quite a bit slower and older than what I was selling - they'd have potentially made a killing if they'd gotten mine for a tenner, but were eventually outbid.

Considering I paid £80 for the new kit, I'm fairly pleased to have gotten a bit back for the old one, although I could probably have gotten more if I'd pushed a higher starting price.

Now I need to start selling old DVDs and stuff - might do that in June!

not a bad price to get in the end, although it does seem prices do rise and change quite a bit at the moment

there be like "id just bought some ram of the lord of steam"

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I'm off to the local post box and it'll likely be after 6pm by time I'm home, so we can get the wheel nonsense on the road!

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
You mean you wheely like it.....

some people like whisky, some like brandy, some like rum,

i like wheels

just imagine an expert comes round "yes homer this is a 1984 michelin sports tyre with extra tread" "yes Ill have an inner tube"

my fbi agent must be freaked out

Last edited:

SiAdams

This is awesome. I know you mentioned the other day you updated to 32gb but i hadn't read this post.

I've literally put my 2x 8gb ram on sale on ebay starting at £10. (Ebay recommended £1 - no way) it's currently got 2 bids, highest being £10.49. Hopefully get to £25 and I'll be really happy with that. I see them selling for £50 used on ebay but you can get them brand new for that price. Crazy

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I've literally put my 2x 8gb ram on sale on ebay starting at £10. (Ebay recommended £1 - no way) it's currently got 2 bids, highest being £10.49. Hopefully get to £25 and I'll be really happy with that. I see them selling for £50 used on ebay but you can get them brand new for that price. Crazy
It feels to me as though a lot of the higher priced second hand ones are probably sat on there for a while because you can get brand new chips for that price. I was hoping for maybe £20 to £30, but Ebay being Ebay, anything could happen. I'll keep my fingers crossed you're able to get a similar price!

SiAdams

I do have the buy now option at £30 but no ones going to use that if the bids stay below it.

Like you said, I'll be happy to get some money back from the upgrade.

How did you pack them for delivery? I might use the 32gb box, cut the plastic holding in half and place some bubble wrap inside and around the box. I noticed the 8gb sticks are larger in height than the 16gb so having to improvise with the plastic container supplied with the 16gb sticks 😜

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
How did you pack them for delivery? I might use the 32gb box, cut the plastic holding in half and place some bubble wrap inside and around the box. I noticed the 8gb sticks are larger in height than the 16gb so having to improvise with the plastic container supplied with the 16gb sticks 😜
I put my 8gb sticks in the plastic container the 16gb came in (fortunately for me they were the same size), then put the container in an anti-static bag, wrapped a little bubble wrap around that and put it into a Jiffy Bag (other brands of padded envelope are available!). PCS had sent the 16gb to me like that, so I figured that must be secure enough to send them by post.

s-l1600.jpg

SiAdams

I put my 8gb sticks in the plastic container the 16gb came in (fortunately for me they were the same size), then put the container in an anti-static bag, wrapped a little bubble wrap around that and put it into a Jiffy Bag (other brands of padded envelope are available!). PCS had sent the 16gb to me like that, so I figured that must be secure enough to send them by post.

s-l1600.jpg
Pretty much what I'm doing 😜 thanks for the heads up.