Wi-Fi Antenna

ramspectrum

Specs below, But I think the Wi-Fi antenna is just the normal one that gets sent out, see photo attached.
It's attached at the back via two screw on connectors.
I use a VPN as well, ProtonVPN, but I have tested and speeds are the same whether it is on or not.
We have a 1 GB speed plan, I know I am never going to get that wireless, even connected through Ethernet I never get above 500/600mbps.
On Wi-Fi, I am getting between, 100mbps to 350mbps ish, varies.

Is there a better antenna I could buy to improve speed?
Would a USB Wi-Fi connected adapter be better?
Specs of computer below.

Case COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE H500M GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 12-Core Processor i7-12700K (3.6GHz) 25MB Cache
MotherboardASUS® ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4 (LGA1700, USB 3.2, PCIe 5.0) - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 Ti - HDMI, DP, LHR
Graphics Card Support BracketPCS ARGB GRAPHICS CARD SUPPORT BRACKET
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive2TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 530 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 7300MB/R, 6900MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 1200W HX SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® PLATINUM, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network CardNOT REQUIRED
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence

Attachments

• 279825617_683023482989440_1413368377948587148_n.jpg
    279825617_683023482989440_1413368377948587148_n.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 114

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Specs below, But I think the Wi-Fi antenna is just the normal one that gets sent out, see photo attached.
It's attached at the back via two screw on connectors.
I use a VPN as well, ProtonVPN, but I have tested and speeds are the same whether it is on or not.
We have a 1 GB speed plan, I know I am never going to get that wireless, even connected through Ethernet I never get above 500/600mbps.
On Wi-Fi, I am getting between, 100mbps to 350mbps ish, varies.

Is there a better antenna I could buy to improve speed?
Would a USB Wi-Fi connected adapter be better?
Specs of computer below.

CaseCOOLERMASTER MASTERCASE H500M GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 12-Core Processor i7-12700K (3.6GHz) 25MB Cache
MotherboardASUS® ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4 (LGA1700, USB 3.2, PCIe 5.0) - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 Ti - HDMI, DP, LHR
Graphics Card Support BracketPCS ARGB GRAPHICS CARD SUPPORT BRACKET
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive2TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 530 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 7300MB/R, 6900MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 1200W HX SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® PLATINUM, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network CardNOT REQUIRED
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
There's nothing wrong with that antenna, it's a beast in fact.

You should be getting far higher speeds.

Try moving the antenna location, find somewhere away from any other cables (especially power cables), make sure power cables aren't running across the wifi cable out the back of the motherboard as that will cause interferance.

Also worth unscrewing it from the mobo and screwing back in just to be certain it's not crossthreaded (I'm sure it isn't, just worth it for testing sake).

ramspectrum

Also, can you post a screenshot of your windows update page?
Thanks for the help.
See Windows update log, all up to date.
The lead for this antenna is only so long, it is as far away from anything that might bother it, and I have checked the screw connectors on the mobo, it actually doesn't make a difference which side is screwed in, which ever side, from testing. And it is as nearest to the router I can get.
Router is a good one, but is about 30ft away.

If you say this antenna is a good one, then maybe this is as good as I can get for now.
I remember my old computer was the same speed, also just tested my android phone on the Wi-Fi, same spot, same speed.
So that tells me, this is not an antenna issue, just wondered if I can boost it?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 114

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for the help.
See Windows update log, all up to date.
The lead for this antenna is only so long, it is as far away from anything that might bother it, and I have checked the screw connectors on the mobo, it actually doesn't make a difference which side is screwed in, which ever side, from testing. And it is as nearest to the router I can get.
Router is a good one, but is about 30ft away.

If you say this antenna is a good one, then maybe this is as good as I can get for now.
I remember my old computer was the same speed, also just tested my android phone on the Wi-Fi, same spot, same speed.
So that tells me, this is not an antenna issue, just wondered if I can boost it?
That's the history page, can you take a screenshot of the windows update page including optional updates?
If it's a signal issue, IMHO any kind of signal booster of any sort is old defunkt technology and should be avoided at all costs.

If you want decent wifi, invest in a mesh setup, it will transform you home network. Guaranteed.

Who's your home broadband ISP?

ramspectrum

I have heard about a mesh set up, can you recommend anything good?
Would it make that much difference, being only 30ft away from the router?
See attached.
Thanks SpyderTracks (y)

Attachments

• optional.jpg
    optional.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 102
  • update page.jpg
    update page.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 99

ramspectrum

That's the history page, can you take a screenshot of the windows update page including optional updates?

If it's a signal issue, IMHO any kind of signal booster of any sort is old defunkt technology and should be avoided at all costs.

If you want decent wifi, invest in a mesh setup, it will transform you home network. Guaranteed.

Who's your home broadband ISP?
ISP is Hyperoptic, pretty good service TBH. No phone line, Unlimited data, 1 GB £35 per month.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
ISP is Hyperoptic, pretty good service TBH. No phone line, Unlimited data, 1 GB £35 per month.
My god that's an amazing price! I may move!

It's worth contacting them first, I'm not familiar with them as such, but some ISP's will offer a mesh setup as a sort of contractual bonus, so they'll give to you free or for a much reduced cost on the agreement you stay with them for x more months.

But those speeds for that price, I'd stay with them forever!

Mesh will unquestionably improve performance throughout the house. The bonus with mesh, is that you can start with a main router and one satellite and then add on if you find you need to cover more space. The companion apps will take you through setting it up for best placement for best coverage.

But if you were looking for an aftermarket kit, they range hugely in performance / price / complexity.

I haven't hunted on any offers, so this is just to give an idea.

My personal favorites from ease of use through to sheer performance would be:

Google Nest Wifi - doddle to setup and manage https://store.google.com/gb/product/nest_wifi?hl=en-GB
TPLink Deco - good performance, app isn't quite as polished as others but not a great loss, this is a budget option. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deco-M5-Coverage-Replacement-Antivirus/dp/B071241G3R?th=1
Amazon Eero - less features, but good performance https://www.amazon.co.uk/eero-mesh-wi-fi-router-extender/dp/B092RVFLJ3?th=1
Netgear Orbi - Simply the best performance but comes at a price. https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Ul...sprefix=netgear+orbi,computers,74&sr=1-2&th=1

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
For some idea of different between mesh and old wifi, with a properly setup mesh configuration, you should happily achieve within 50mbs of what you would get cabled to the router (assuming the mesh supports up to those speeds)

ramspectrum

For some idea of different between mesh and old wifi, with a properly setup mesh configuration, you should happily achieve within 50mbs of what you would get cabled to the router (assuming the mesh supports up to those speeds)
Thank you for all your help, I will get in touch with them about a mesh, I do have a giant Ethernet lead for when I really need the speed and no lagging when playing online lol But it's a pain setting it up. Thanks again. (y)

Alltruism

Bronze Level Poster
Could it be connecting via 2.4GHz instead of 5GHz? Sometimes happens if your router is broadcasting both with the same SSID/password

ramspectrum

Could it be connecting via 2.4GHz instead of 5GHz? Sometimes happens if your router is broadcasting both with the same SSID/password
It does auto shift between the two, that can be the difference. I phoned the ISP ages ago, and he created just a 5Ghz network, but because it is not 100% consistent, it would drop out sometimes, I went back to the 2.4GHz/5GHz as it switches seamlessly without looking connection.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
That suggests it's the router signal strength that's the issue. If 5Ghz was inconsistent, it will be compromised on the top speed. 2.4ghz is never going to achieve more than 300mb/s unfortunately. It's typically 150mb/s in a lot of cases.