WiFi and HDMI

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Just thought I would mention this one.

Since the last time I needed to clear my CMOS after tinkering with my RAM :rolleyes: I have been having the odd issue with my screen flashing to black for a split second. In general it would always happen when I was broswing the web. I would say maybe once or twice an hour perhaps - consistently for the past week or so.

I previously had installed the Studio driver for my GPU, but have read they can be a bit flaky, so I reverted to the Game Ready driver with a clean install instead. No change.

Hearing Ubuysa screaming at me all the way from Greece, I removed my RAM and CPU overclocks. No change.

I ran a full MemTest86 on my RAM - all 4.5 hours of it on my 32GB :rolleyes: - then again with the OC back in. No errors. No change.

So the next thing - which I should have started with of course - was to change my HDMI cable as it's a bit of a cheap option. As I got in behind my PC I realised that both WiFi antenna were leaning over and making direct against with the HDMI lead. Obviously the last time I took the whole thing out to reset the CMOS I wasn't that careful when I put it all back together.

So I left the cable alone, moved the WiFi antenna clear of everything - and all has been well ever since. :unsure:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just thought I would mention this one.

Since the last time I needed to clear my CMOS after tinkering with my RAM :rolleyes: I have been having the odd issue with my screen flashing to black for a split second. In general it would always happen when I was broswing the web. I would say maybe once or twice an hour perhaps - consistently for the past week or so.

I previously had installed the Studio driver for my GPU, but have read they can be a bit flaky, so I reverted to the Game Ready driver with a clean install instead. No change.

Hearing Ubuysa screaming at me all the way from Greece, I removed my RAM and CPU overclocks. No change.

I ran a full MemTest86 on my RAM - all 4.5 hours of it on my 32GB :rolleyes: - then again with the OC back in. No errors. No change.

So the next thing - which I should have started with of course - was to change my HDMI cable as it's a bit of a cheap option. As I got in behind my PC I realised that both WiFi antenna were leaning over and making direct against with the HDMI lead. Obviously the last time I took the whole thing out to reset the CMOS I wasn't that careful when I put it all back together.

So I left the cable alone, moved the WiFi antenna clear of everything - and all has been well ever since. :unsure:
Cheaper cables won't have such good isolation / grounding / screening.

Cables are this eternal battle between different viewpoints, and it's a dangerous battleground to enter.

Generally a cable is a cable, somewhat moreso when you factor in digital vs analogue.

BUT, there can be some significant improvements with more expensive options (up to a point) whereby the screening is far better addressed.

YES, there's without doubt a lot of snakeoil in a lot of cable manufacturers and some will claim ridiculous things that just aren't true to get you to pay the extra £12000 for a standard HDMI lead - no joke

The whole area is a minefield, but there are basic scientific damping / deadening factors that will protect "leakage" of radiation / electrical interference from a good cable.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Cheaper cables won't have such good isolation / grounding / screening.

Cables are this eternal battle between different viewpoints, and it's a dangerous battleground to enter.

Generally a cable is a cable, somewhat moreso when you factor in digital vs analogue.

BUT, there can be some significant improvements with more expensive options (up to a point) whereby the screening is far better addressed.

YES, there's without doubt a lot of snakeoil in a lot of cable manufacturers and some will claim ridiculous things that just aren't true to get you to pay the extra £12000 for a standard HDMI lead - no joke

The whole area is a minefield, but there are basic scientific damping / deadening factors that will protect "leakage" of radiation / electrical interference from a good cable.
Thanks for those links Spyder. I'll skip the €13.5k option! Unbelievable that anyone could ask for that much money - but even more unbelievable that it wouldn't be marketed if there weren't people out there to buy it!

A better quality cable with some better shielding will be on my shopping list I think. (y)

(EDIT - It's early days yet to 100% rule out any other issues with my system - but the cable upgrade will do no harm either way.)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Unbelievable that anyone could ask for that much money - but even more unbelievable that it wouldn't be marketed if there weren't people out there to buy it!
In the world of audio, it's a real mad area, on some of the forums I frequent there are people who wouldn't bat an eyelid spending $10000 on an HDMI cable. To me it's utter madness.

BUT I do have 0.5m interconnects between my analogue components that are £100 and I'm sure to others that in itself it just insane.

A good friend of mine is a sound engineer and a very good one, he works predominantly with digital, he wholeheartedly disagrees with any kind of luxury cable. For me there is a definite benefit to a certain point, it's just investigating and separating the marketting rubbish from the scientific insight.

Some really great brands on Amazon that I've come across are:

UGreen - very down to earth prices and excellent build quality.
Audioquest - heading a bit more luxurious, but stellar build quality and results.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
In the world of audio, it's a real mad area, on some of the forums I frequent there are people who wouldn't bat an eyelid spending $10000 on an HDMI cable. To me it's utter madness.

BUT I do have 0.5m interconnects between my analogue components that are £100 and I'm sure to others that in itself it just insane.

A good friend of mine is a sound engineer and a very good one, he works predominantly with digital, he wholeheartedly disagrees with any kind of luxury cable. For me there is a definite benefit to a certain point, it's just investigating and separating the marketting rubbish from the scientific insight.

Audioquest - heading a bit more luxurious, but stellar build quality and results.
I have seen the UGreen brand on Amazon previously - I'll look out for those. (y)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You obviously weren't listening properly to what I was screaming. 🤪

This is not the first time we've come across WiFi/HDMI interference caused by a cheap HDMI cable. Though I think that last time it was the WiFi that was being affected?

Bigfoot

Grand Master

People will spend insane amounts on their hobbies and tend to have more disposable income to spend as they get older and pay off mortgages and get kids off their hands. Unfortunately for audiophiles, as they get older, their hearing deteriorates. There must be a point at which one is too old to bother spending more money, unless it is for a more powerful amplifier to be able to still hear the music. 😃

purplewakanda

Gold Level Poster

I got the UGreen DP cable based on your advice. I had to connect the PC and the laptop to 1 monitor (with DP and HDMI) as the 2nd monitor purchase is postponed. The build quality is amazing and it comes with a release button.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
You obviously weren't listening properly to what I was screaming. 🤪
It was hard to make out cos you’re far away but I’m sure I heard you shout something like “NoddyPirate has such an OverClock it should be banned from the forum”?

Although, I’m just thinking that if you replace the ‘has’ with ‘is’ and then the ‘it’ with ‘he’ 🤔 then maybe I just didn’t catch the middle word correctly at all.....

This is not the first time we've come across WiFi/HDMI interference caused by a cheap HDMI cable. Though I think that last time it was the WiFi that was being affected?
Yes I read about it happening the other way around. Which makes me wonder if my issue might not actually be fully resolved. My first thought was a driver issue - so far so good mind you - but time will tell......

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It was hard to make out cos you’re far away but I’m sure I heard you shout something like “NoddyPirate has such an OverClock it should be banned from the forum”?

Although, I’m just thinking that if you replace the ‘has’ with ‘is’ and then the ‘it’ with ‘he’ 🤔 then maybe I just didn’t catch the middle word correctly at all.....
I've found the problem. As soon as I said 'pirate' the NSA and GCHQ shut my shout link down. I now have a black SUV with blokes in dark suits and sunglasses sitting outside my house. They can stay there, dark suits are not the clothes to be wearing when it's 30C outside!
Yes I read about it happening the other way around. Which makes me wonder if my issue might not actually be fully resolved. My first thought was a driver issue - so far so good mind you - but time will tell......
I think the issue is just radio interference. I guess it could affect either system. The solution is quality cables and components to keep the signals inside the cable.....

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I've found the problem. As soon as I said 'pirate' the NSA and GCHQ shut my shout link down. I now have a black SUV with blokes in dark suits and sunglasses sitting outside my house.
They were always outside our house as a kid after that court case that can’t be mentioned. My mam said it was just our Great Aunt Gertrude who came to visit but she had agoraphobia and couldn’t leave the car. Try waving at them and see if you get a £1 note in a Birthday card next year. Worked for me.
They can stay there, dark suits are not the clothes to be wearing when it's 30C outside
You are almost always helpful Ubuysa, but that was cruel. It’s 5 degrees, blowing a Gale and spitting rain here just now. 😢
I think the issue is just radio interference. I guess it could affect either system. The solution is quality cables and components to keep the signals inside the cable.....
Agreed. 👍

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You are almost always helpful Ubuysa, but that was cruel. It’s 5 degrees, blowing a Gale and spitting rain here just now. 😢
ALMOST always? :cry:

To be fair, 30C is unseasonal, it's usually a comfy 25C in May and then it gradually warms to around 36C in August before falling slowly. It's often in the high teens and low 20's still at Christmas. Five degrees is about as cold as it ever gets in the depths of winter here.....

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
ALMOST always? :cry:
Yes - always, except when you remind us Western Inhabitors about their rubbish climate and how much better it is elsewhere. So, almost always.
To be fair, 30C is unseasonal, it's usually a comfy 25C in May and then it gradually warms to around 36C in August before falling slowly. It's often in the high teens and low 20's still at Christmas. Five degrees is about as cold as it ever gets in the depths of winter here.....
Q.E.D.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Yes - always, except when you remind us Western Inhabitors about their rubbish climate and how much better it is elsewhere. So, almost always.

Q.E.D.
But I haven't mentioned the beach just down the street, the clear seas that never drop below 14C, or the low cost of living here. Oh and the sunshine. [emoji41]

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
But I haven't mentioned the beach just down the street, the clear seas that never drop below 14C, or the low cost of living here. Oh and the sunshine. [emoji41]
I have a nephew who lives in Cairns, the other year on Christmas day he spent 3 hours in the pool, before sorting the christmas day BBQ on the beach................

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Normally it's the HDMI and the AC cable causing the problem. Must be some really cheap insulation for the Wifi signal to be interfering.

WRT cables....

Digital cables.... 0's and 1's. Makes no odds how good the cable is, as long as the shielding is good enough to not interrupt those 0's & 1's

Audio Cables - Makes quite the difference at low-mid range. At good listening levels I can notice the difference between a cheap cable and a decent O2 free lined copper cable. RCA cables (interconnects) too, they make a big difference as well.. as I found consistently in my car. Past a certain level though and it's complete diminishing returns for me, all the RCAs have ever needed for me was decent shielding. I have no doubt that there are some people that can notice the difference between copper cable that's £20/m and gold/copper cable that's £100/m but that's certainly not me. When moving onto anything that's even close to £1k+/m it's just laughable IMO. It would need to be a test environment to even consider anything as ridiculous as that....... and it would have nothing to do with ears. Impedance has always been the key to me, and matching the entire system with impedance in mind will always offer a better balanced sound.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Normally it's the HDMI and the AC cable causing the problem. Must be some really cheap insulation for the Wifi signal to be interfering.

WRT cables....

Digital cables.... 0's and 1's. Makes no odds how good the cable is, as long as the shielding is good enough to not interrupt those 0's & 1's

Audio Cables - Makes quite the difference at low-mid range. At good listening levels I can notice the difference between a cheap cable and a decent O2 free lined copper cable. RCA cables (interconnects) too, they make a big difference as well.. as I found consistently in my car. Past a certain level though and it's complete diminishing returns for me, all the RCAs have ever needed for me was decent shielding. I have no doubt that there are some people that can notice the difference between copper cable that's £20/m and gold/copper cable that's £100/m but that's certainly not me. When moving onto anything that's even close to £1k+/m it's just laughable IMO. It would need to be a test environment to even consider anything as ridiculous as that....... and it would have nothing to do with ears. Impedance has always been the key to me, and matching the entire system with impedance in mind will always offer a better balanced sound.
Absolutely agree entirely 👍🏼

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Absolutely agree entirely 👍🏼

Lets be honest though.......... if you had millions in the bank you would have the triple crowns.... wouldn't you :D