WiFi extension help

Overthehedge

Hi all,

Im a complete computer novice/technophobe so any help would be much appreciated

Ive got a BT WiFi router in my office/shop but trying to run an extension into an annexe ten meters away

Ive run an Ethernet cable from the router into the annexe and it works (Ive tried a laptop and the signal is fine)

However Im trying to actually get WiFi in there so I purchased a BT WiFi Extender 1200 thinking I could plug the Ethernet cable into it, it doesnt work as a wireless extender as too far away, however putting the Ethernet cable into it doesnt work either as its obviously not designed for this

Is there a different device I can get to plug an Ethernet cable into and then have WiFi? (I am based in UK) I’ve already tried the link a second router and network it tricky but this hasn’t helped

Many thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all,

Im a complete computer novice/technophobe so any help would be much appreciated

Ive got a BT WiFi router in my office/shop but trying to run an extension into an annexe ten meters away

Ive run an Ethernet cable from the router into the annexe and it works (Ive tried a laptop and the signal is fine)

However Im trying to actually get WiFi in there so I purchased a BT WiFi Extender 1200 thinking I could plug the Ethernet cable into it, it doesnt work as a wireless extender as too far away, however putting the Ethernet cable into it doesnt work either as its obviously not designed for this

Is there a different device I can get to plug an Ethernet cable into and then have WiFi? (I am based in UK) I’ve already tried the link a second router and network it tricky but this hasn’t helped

Many thanks
If you call BT they now offer WiFi mesh pucks additional to the router.

I won’t go into the details but mesh WiFi is a modern far more robust solution to extenders and repeaters. What’s more they’re usually free.

I recently did just that for my parent setup and blanketed their entire house and garden with 3 pucks.

They’re also very easy to setup.

nick_123

Silver Level Poster
^second that. I did the same with my home and they work great. Do note though the ‘discs’ you can pick at Amazon - the white ones - only work with the older generation of BT hubs (‘smart hub 1). The newest version (‘smart hub 2’) has different discs - black ones - that I believe you pay BT directly for on a monthly basis. Worth checking which hub you have before buying. There may be a way around it, but worth noting just in case.

Overthehedge

Hi guys,

The extender won’t work as it’s too far away (it’s probably more like 29 meters to be fair and has to go through two metal storage containers) so think I’ve got to discount this an an option
Thanks
Sam

nick_123

Silver Level Poster
Hi Sam

are you using an extender or mesh network? The extender will only work at certain distances whereas the mesh is more flexible.

This is the the type of thing I’m talking about:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi Sam

are you using an extender or mesh network? The extender will only work at certain distances whereas the mesh is more flexible.

This is the the type of thing I’m talking about:

Exactly as @nick_123 says, extenders and pucks are 2 entirely different things. You can hardwire pucks as an example.