Will a Asus ROG strix 3070/3080 fit the 280x?

Crizzy G

Gold Level Poster
The answer is just about.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201117-122941_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201117-122941_Gallery.jpg
    949.1 KB · Views: 836

Bhuna50

Author Level
I can’t see it. Where’d you hide it?

[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crizzy G

Gold Level Poster
That's quite surprising given, on paper at least, there is no way either a Strix 3070 or 3080 should fit in the slightest o_O

The 280x, according to Corsair, can encapsulate a GPU up to a maximum length of 300mm....the Strix 3070 and 3080 cards are both listed by ROG as being 318.5mm (slightly dubious as to the 3070 and 3080 being identical sizes though). Seems either ASUS have measured their cards wrong or Corsair have been overly-conservative in their guidelines (a third option would be that the front fans weren't installed which would create the space but pretty sure you would have noticed that!)
Its corsair being conservative. Its about 32 cm with the bottom front fan in. Theres maybe just under 1cm between the gpu and fan.I did have to unscrew the gpu brace off to actually get it in the case but managed to screw back on once in.

Interestingly enough pcs where at one point selling the asus 3070 for small form factor pc's but then took it off. I assume for the majority of cases it won't fit or too much head ache to fit. The same goes for the h115i pro.

Crizzy G

Gold Level Poster
Good information to know...just presumed it wouldn't fit (y)

Personally, I'd still be hesitant to put anything above a 2060 in an SFF case...though you seem to have the heat covered with the 6 fans in there o_O
Yup temps are fine gpu sits at 36 in idle cpu in the 40's. Don't really play any demanding games apart from maybe metro exodus and maybe Arma 3 if that counts.

Crizzy G

Gold Level Poster
Oh dear...I was just having a look and you can order a 280x......with a 5950x CPU and a 3090 GPU :eek: They may fit in the case but pretty sure you'd need to then put said case in the freezer to keep it cool enough :ROFLMAO:
Yeah I'm running a 3600x bit hesitant to upgrade to a 5900x in this case. Would have to run the fans on extreme when gaming

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Oh dear...I was just having a look and you can order a 280x......with a 5950x CPU and a 3090 GPU :eek: They may fit in the case but pretty sure you'd need to then put said case in the freezer to keep it cool enough :ROFLMAO:
I've seen videos of custom liquid nitrogen-cooled PCs. That 280x 5950X/3090 system would probably have to be another one! o_O