Will Fedora 33 work on Optimus XI?

Markus Laker

I'm considering an Optimus XI laptop for my wife. I'd like to run Fedora, because it's what I run on my desktop machine and I can support her better if we use the same distro everywhere. Has anyone tried Fedora on an Optimus XI? Does it work well?

(I've read Oussebon's very helpful thread on Linux compatibility -- kudos! -- but it doesn't mention Optimus XI.)

Many thanks,

Markus

Markus Laker

Thanks, Nursemorph. I had seen that thread, but it's rather speculative in nature, and moves quickly on to a discussion about the merits of various distributions. I was hoping that by now someone might have installed Linux on an Optimus XI and found out whether it works or not.

It's true that Fedora keeps up to date with recent kernels, but I've only ever installed it on desktops before, never on a laptop, and I understand that hardware support is generally more difficult on laptops.

Strontium

The Optimus was found to be capable of booting Ubuntu on a second drive, I don't see why Fedora would not work, other than the non-free drivers that have to be installed manually with Fedora:

The original poster might have had issues on a single drive with the MBR/GRUB overwrite when dual booting. I can't see that being a problem if single booting Fedora, I would guess identifying and installing all the correct drivers will be the only major difference with Fedora.