Will pc die out, once the next gen consoles comes out?

stegor

Bright Spark
No. Why would the next gen be any different than previous? By the time they are released PC builds have already overtaken them.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've been hearing about the death of the PC pretty much since they stopped talking about the death of the mainframe.

Mainframes are still here - because they do a job that no other platform can do. PCs will be the same, and don't forget that not all PC users are gamers. :)

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
As Ubuysa says, PC's and consoles are very different beasts from a use case perspective.

A console is designed from the ground up to do one job well - play games - and a few secondary jobs ok - stream media for example.

A PC can do all of that (and in some cases much better) and much, much more. Office productivity, CAD/CAM, programming general applications in a multitude of languages, web browsing etc etc.

What is interesting is the shift in the last 5 or so years particularly, back to what can be thought of as a mainframe way of thinking. "Web apps" as we generally call them in the enterprise, where the client, or application, a user runs is not much more than a web browser and the heavy lifting in terms of processing is done back on a centralised system.

It's not a new concept - as I mentioned, mainframes have done it this way for decades - and the likes of Citrix have built their entire business on it, but it can make life a lot easier when it comes to architecting and upgrading systems. As well as more complex in some ways.

As a side note I am seeing a move away from legacy mainframes, as they cannot be easily virtualised into the cloud (and I hate the term "cloud computing", generally) in the retail space as there is a migration to the likes of Azure.

They won't go away - banks in particular and insurance companies need decades of data for one thing, but there is a slow shift.