Will the CPU be a significant bottleneck?

jerpers

Master
My old PCS PC has a AMD PHENOM II X6 1100T processor. Will it cause a major bottleneck to a pair of 980ti's? Will putting them in there help run games such as Starwars Battlefront and Rise of the Tomb Raider?

Just contemplating my options. I quite fancy a 1080 or I'll maybe wait for the 1080ti. If I can't use my old ones in my other PC my kids now use, I'll have to try and sell them I guess.

jerpers

Master
Maybe I'll give them one and sell the other than. I know it won't be optimal but must be a big improvement over the 2Gb 6970 in there.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Depends on each game and how CPU intensive it is. You could overclock it to be better than a FX 6300 which does not cause any problems for me in most games, although i don't play them at ultra max super settings on that system.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
http://www.techspot.com/review/1096-star-wars-battlefront-benchmarks/page3.html
http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2199-star-wars-battlefront-cpu-benchmark-bottlenecks

http://www.techspot.com/review/1128-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-benchmarks/page5.html

Note that these are generally with 1 980ti, not a pair of them. Depending on the resolution, with a pair of 980 tis I imagine you'd be more likely to see an older CPU's performance limit what you get out of the cards, though ofc that's very different to saying that the games wouldn't be playable.

That said, if you already have a pair of 980 tis, a 6700k, and an old phenom, couldn't you benchmark them? :)

Last edited:

jerpers

Master
Thanks for the detailed info guys I think I'll go for selling one and giving the other to my kids. They aren't after top graphics and resolutions just being able to play some of the newer games.

jerpers

Master
So after all the advice here, I have sold one of my 980ti's and have decided to use the money to upgrade my old PCS PC's motherboard and CPU to take better advantage of the other 980ti when I upgrade mine. I will probably wait for the 1080ti or equivalent so plenty of time to save up for it. I am however going to do this upgrade earlier as I have 6 weeks off over the Summer and it will make a nice project to do with my sons. I am currently looking at 2 options:
1. A bundle deal of Z170-E Mobo, i5 6400, 8b Fury 2666 RAM, Brocken 2 cooler. All pre-built with guaranteed overclock of 4.4 Ghz (£323)
2. Buying the bits separately with a cheaper mobo and maybe a better CPU - actually more expensive but make for a better project.
I'm really looking for what will be the best value, he will want to play all the latest games on a 1920x1080 75hz monitor. I can got to an absolute max of £400 but want to stick around the £350. For reference, the rest of the PC:
Case
Fractal Design R3
Processor (CPU)
AMD PHENOM II X6 1100T (3.30GHz/9MB CACHE/AM3) - BLACK EDITION
Motherboard
ASUS® CROSSHAIR IV EXTREME: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0Gb/s, R.O GAMERS
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (4 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card
2GB AMD RADEON™ HD6970 - 2 DVI,HDMI,2 mDP - DirectX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable
1st Hard Disk
120GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SATA II 2.5" SSD - Now a Sandisk UltraII after the OCZ died
2nd Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
12x BLU-RAY RE-WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£88)
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W TX SERIES (TX850) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£99)
Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Titanium - Fatal1ty Champion Series (£149)

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Sadly we can't really give you much advice if you are not purchasing from PCS but the bundle deal seems reasonable.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Keeping comments to components themselves rather than value and so forth:

Whether purchased from PCS or elsewhere, an i5 6400 at stock isn't the best idea if one has the money for a 6600k. Or even the 600MHz faster 6500. I'm not familiar with non-K skylake OCing though.
A 6600k should apparently push 4.6-4.8ghz with a decent cooler and average luck.
Remember when changing the mobo you might have issues with an OEM OS.

jerpers

Master
Thanks guys. Since it was an upgrade of a PCS PC that PCS can't do, I hoped it was allowed.
My first intention was to go for a 6600k as I am not too familiar with using BCLK for overclocking myself either but the price difference was tempting since the overclock would be all done for me. I believe I have a full version of windows from that PC but can get a copy of windows from work if needed.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
If you bought Windows from PCS with the PC then it would be an OEM copy which would be locked to your motherboard.

jerpers

Master
Well I just completed the upgrade today as in my signature. I was worried about the license tied to the mobo but with the windows 10 anniversary update I hoped it wouldn't be a problem. In the end I did not need to worry at all. Installed all the new components, booted up and windows started as normal, no need for a re install!

Still waiting for a potential 1080ti so the old machine can have my current 980ti.