Will this work?

kruppsy

Master
This is a bit complicated so i'll try to explain as best I can.

I have a partitioned Hitatchi HDD. One partition has XP one has Vista. I recently bought A WD Caviar Black HDD and cloned the Hitatchi straight over deleting the XP partition. Now my PC boots from the WD into Vista and the Hitatchi is my second HDD but remains intact as it was.

Ok. I had Battlefield Bad Company 2, installed on my XP partition of the Hitatchi, which i registered for online play (in other words the serial is used), but i now want it on my WD HDD. If I do a re-install I assume when I put the serial number in, i'll be blocked from online play? However, if I just copied all the data from the Hitatchi over to my WD will it work? Bearing in mind its being copied from an XP partition to Vista and I have no idea if regsitry files are also needed as part of DRM?

Im just trying to get round buying another copy when I have it on one of my HDDs already.

Sorry if thats all illegible :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I would think the serial number would be registered to an account of yours? So you would be fine, i would think.

kruppsy

Master
Aaahh, so its tied to my Origin account ala Battlefield 3? Awesome. I'd completely forgot about it being this way. Cheers mate.

kruppsy

Master
I dont recall ever seeing it in Origin, it certainly doesn't appear when I boot it up. I don't think Origin was ever installed on XP when I first played the game which is why its all a bit fuzzy. Can you add games through Origin itself then, assuming it picks up than its from the same account?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I dont recall ever seeing it in Origin, it certainly doesn't appear when I boot it up. I don't think Origin was ever installed on XP when I first played the game which is why its all a bit fuzzy. Can you add games through Origin itself then, assuming it picks up than its from the same account?

yeah you can, try adding the serial number to origin and see if that works? It did with my copy of crysis 2...

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I assume if it's online play you'll have your own specific account that saves your serial number no matter which machine you play on. Is the online hosted through Origin or something else (I've seen it on Steam so it might not be Origin)? So try adding it to Steam if Origin doesn't work. Or try un-installing it completely from your drive and re-installing on the new drive. That should make the serial number available again won't it? I'd imagine it can't just be tied down to 1 pc.

PC Gaming is ridiculous sometimes, I tried to install Half Life 2 the other week on an old disc we have. Took me through all the install process and then said it was registered to another Steam account (which has been unused for over 10 years!) and it wouldn't let me play it -.-

kruppsy

Master
This is all born from seeing it in that Steam sale! Those deal giving sods.

I knew I had it and was instantly reminded of how fun it was. On reading the back of the case and seeing 'this game is registerd to one pc for online play' or something similar, made me panic, especially as i have two different OS's, not may people do this so one pc also sort of means one OS. Because i installed it ages ago I honestly couldnt remember the details of registering etc., my memory sucks. :)

But that's a good shout, I'll try Origin and Steam. I really didn't think of installing through either so Im glad I posted here.

Shame about HL2, bloomin brilliant game.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Yea I might pick it up if it's ever on sale again. It was one of those that I spent hours watching my dad play number 1 + 2 as I was growing up but he never let me play (I used to think he thought they were too scary for me but I think growing up has taught me he just wanted it all to himself). Mind you, I would have only been 5 when HL1 was first released so perhaps it was too scary!

And yea, if you click the "+" sign where you normally activate codes on steam you should be able to select the one that says "Add a non-steam" game. I haven't done this myself though so no guarantees!

kruppsy

Master
Last night I tried to use my serial in Origin. Origin picked it up as being for Battlefield BC2 but when I clicked next or install it gave me an error message and a prompt to go to a website. So I clicked the link which ended being the homepage for Origin, no idea what I was supposed to do from there, so I tried Steam. Steam didn't even recognise the code.

At this point I used the 'add game manually' part of Origin. This browses to any .exe for a game and then you add it to Origin. This worked but was basically a shortcut link to my old Hitatchi HDD and as its aging I'd prefer the game on my Caviar Black. I then tried copying the whole BBC2 folder over to my Caviar and playing from that. Amazingly that worked, to a degree, multiplayer crashed out a few times so I went about doing a whole new install on my Caviar.

This is where my whole thread becomes pointless as if id tried this first off, I'd have had no problems. Turns out, right near the end of the install process, there is a point where you can choose to Authenticate from the CD when you play, or Online. Authenticating online allows you to install on up to 10 different PCs. Bobs your uncle and all that....

So now its installed, not linked to Origin or Steam and playing very nicely :)

Convoluted...yes. Of use to anyone...debatable. Case....closed.

How on earth did I get two thousand reps?....

tom_gr7

Life Serving
So now its installed, not linked to Origin or Steam and playing very nicely :)

Convoluted...yes. Of use to anyone...debatable. Case....closed.

How on earth did I get two thousand reps?....

hahah lol, glad you got it sorted.... :) least no one said "have you turned it off and on again?"

about the rep... I can press the big red delete button.... it if you like...?

I will give ya some rep fixing it :)

kruppsy

Master
Cheers mate!

So you can delete rep...oooo the power, must be tempting....if I get much higher though I would feel a fraud. If I make three thow, can you freeze me on that? seems about right despite all the nonsense i spout... :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Cheers mate!

So you can delete rep...oooo the power, must be tempting....if I get much higher though I would feel a fraud. If I make three thow, can you freeze me on that? seems about right despite all the nonsense i spout... :)

lol haha, well I think the mods can, not sure... I know the mods can ban users but I've never seen it done... I mainly just moderate threads and post a bit, looks like I post too much from my post count... but ah well :)

steaky360

lol haha, well I think the mods can, not sure... I know the mods can ban users but I've never seen it done... I mainly just moderate threads and post a bit, looks like I post too much from my post count... but ah well :)

I'm wondering when the next tag will appear "Grand Master" to "Omnipotent Poster" or something?

Rakk

The Awesome
I know the mods can ban users but I've never seen it done...

I've banned many people - though 99.999 % are spammers and most people never even see any of their posts, I've only actually temp banned one person who wasnt a spammer.
Tom_gr7 if you press the 'View banned users' options in moderator control panel, you'll see how many have been banned and by who - note: unless you are a mod you cannot see this list.