win 10 backup image install

mike01

Hi Guys

when I got my new laptop and had it all setup , the way I liked , I made a backup
using widows backup .

got a new bigger ssd , so want to put that image back on new ssd , doing it through windows
is not as easy as using Acronis True Image , have found this link , but not 100% sure if this is the best way
to do it , wish I had used acronis instead of windows :(

any advice would be grateful guys

regards
Mike

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Indeed. Unlike Acronis (and similar products) the Windows Backup tool has no bootable recovery media allowing you to restore it to an empty drive. You need a running Windows system to restore the Windows Backup. It may be that the Windows installation system can restore a Windows backup, I've not looked nor ever tried it because I've never used Windows Backup.

TBH if you're making backups that can be restored to an empty drive (and everyone should be) then Windows Backup is not the best tool to use. Acronis or Macrium Reflect (free) are much better options.

mike01

Indeed. Unlike Acronis (and similar products) the Windows Backup tool has no bootable recovery media allowing you to restore it to an empty drive. You need a running Windows system to restore the Windows Backup. It may be that the Windows installation system can restore a Windows backup, I've not looked nor ever tried it because I've never used Windows Backup.

TBH if you're making backups that can be restored to an empty drive (and everyone should be) then Windows Backup is not the best tool to use. Acronis or Macrium Reflect (free) are much better options.
thank you , I can copy win 10 from my other ssd to new one and try it that way , I know wished I had of used acronis :(

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
thank you , I can copy win 10 from my other ssd to new one and try it that way , I know wished I had of used acronis :(
No you can't. A straight file copy won't work, you'll need an imaging tool like Acronis or Macrium Reflect to do that reliably. TBH you're far better off reinstall Windows from scratch on the new SSD. Looking for shortcuts to save you the time of setting it all up again will ultimately cost you more time chasing the niggly issues that will result.

Ubusya's rule #26: There are no shortcuts. If it's worth doing then it's worth doing right.

mike01

No you can't. A straight file copy won't work, you'll need an imaging tool like Acronis or Macrium Reflect to do that reliably. TBH you're far better off reinstall Windows from scratch on the new SSD. Looking for shortcuts to save you the time of setting it all up again will ultimately cost you more time chasing the niggly issues that will result.

Ubusya's rule #26: There are no shortcuts. If it's worth doing then it's worth doing right.
I will use acronis to copy wins 10 to new ssd , I did it before . but when I updated wins 10 on new ssd it failed to restart ,

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I will use acronis to copy wins 10 to new ssd , I did it before . but when I updated wins 10 on new ssd it failed to restart ,
Ah ok, that's a different kettle of fish. For the avoidance of confusion again, the process you intend to do is called 'cloning', so you will clone the old SSD to the new one. The term 'copy' has a very specific meaning. :)

mike01

yes sorry bud cloning , forgot to say that lol ,

I just did a clean install today , a bit more to do then I will make a backup of it with
acronis this time

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
yes sorry bud cloning , forgot to say that lol ,

I just did a clean install today , a bit more to do then I will make a backup of it with
acronis this time
Acronis is just so good and so fast as well, for home use it's by far the best product I've used and for a good decade now I'd say its been just as good.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Oh, this could be good. Can we have the first 25 rules as well, please? It’s worthy of a thread all of its own! 😍

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Link, please!
@AgentCooper here you go a swift forum search got this ;) (rule 28 use the forum search)

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
@AgentCooper here you go a swift forum search got this ;) (rule 28 use the forum search)

Thanks, buddy!

Rule 29: Never use the forum search tool if you can get someone else to do the work for you 😜

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Now that @mike01's problem has been sorted I'll share a little story with you. In my working days (I'm retired now as most of you know) I used to do some large IBM mainframe education. I was teaching a z/OS debugging class somewhere in Holland once, the exercises for the students consisted of memory dumps which they had to use to solve problems we'd deliberately created. The purpose was for them to practice the techniques and get to grips with the information presented in the formal part of the class (as with many training courses).

I had one student who insisted on trying to determine the problem in the shortest possible way and without working through the techniques we'd been talking about and without getting the benefit of seeing the control blocks and structures we'd also been talking about. I tried to explain to him that the objective was not to be the first to find the solution but to learn about how the operating system is structured and how to logically debug it, but he wanted to be the first with the right answer every time.

I called him 'short cut', much to the amusement of his two work colleagues who were also on the course.

A year or two later I was teaching a different course at a different location in Holland and in the break one of the students asked me whether I remembered a guy called 'short cut'. I did of course and it turned out that his two work colleagues had taken my nickname for him back with them. This new student told me that it had stuck and now everyone at his place of work calls him 'short cut'.

Who said training wasn't useful? :ROFLMAO: