Win7 sleep/hibernate - how to disable?

Rakk

The Awesome
Ok, so I need to work out how to disable the sleep option on Win7 (and I mean when the sleep option is picked from the options when you can turn the machine off.

The reason why I ask - I've donated my old machine to my parents - and well my Dad can seemily break a PC by looking at it, anyways, after spending a whole lot of time doing a clean install of Windows, installing various bits and pieces and moving all my parents data from a laptop (which takes about 15 mins to boot and goes at the speed of a dead slug) I thought it worked fine.

So Dad went near it and instead of shutting down, he selected 'sleep' - this is because sleep us is the same place as 'shut down' was in Vista - and at this point the machine threw a complete hissy-fit - it reset its BIOS - noting that in the 3 years I used it excessively I never made it go to sleep so I'd not seen that issue before.

So after reseting its BIOS it decided that the first thing to try and boot from was the memory-card reader - d'oh!
So I changed it to the only hard drive in the BIOS, which I thought was odd since there are two HDD's, and it failed to boot from that, mainly cos it was the empty hard drive with nothing on it ....

So back to the BIOS and fiddled with the hard drives, swapped them round and then the correct one showed in the BIOS (and the second one didn't anymore, still a bit odd - I thought it should show both still) and it then booted properly - all sorted - well after a bit of farting around, since it claimed it couldn't unhibernate

But I want to know how to stop 'sleep' from every either being selected or doing anything - cos lest face it, I couldn't easily explain what need to be done on the phone to my parents who live 220 miles away form me.

So any hints how I can stop my parents from accidentally selecting 'sleep' to stop this happening again? Theyre not particularly computer-literate and as I said my Dad seems to be able to break PC's by looking at them.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I know you're talking about sleep, but you title mentioned hibernate too. Hibernation is easy to disable, open a command prompt and enter "powercfg /h off" (without quotes of course). Powercfg can also help to confirm your sleep change, the command "powercfg /a" will display all the sleep and hibernation states available and active.

Rakk

The Awesome
Thanks guys, the registry entry that Vanthus linked did indeed disable sleep, only problem is that it now adds hibernate to the shut down options - d'oh!
So I tried the 'powercfg /h off', but apparently as the admin account on this machine I do not have permission to do so - d'oh!

So I think I'm probably going to have to leave it as it is, mainly on the grounds I'm off back home tomorrow morning, and I'm going to hope it doesn't accidentally get pressed - unless anyone has any other suggestions before about half ten this evening for making both sleep and hibernate disabled

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Hmm,that's strange,it didn't add hibernate option with me,could be something to do with power settings,is it a laptop?maybe that would make a difference.

Rakk

The Awesome
Hmm,that's strange,it didn't add hibernate option with me,could be something to do with power settings,is it a laptop?maybe that would make a difference.
Nope to laptop, its my old desktop - i7-930 CPU, 6Gb RAM, GTX460.
Personally I think it's out to get me, just cos I've given it away!!!

Rakk

The Awesome
Looks like I may have found the solution, I re-enabled sleep, and then did the 'powercfg /h off'.
And now though I can press sleep it does actually seem to sleep properly - well at least it woke up fine - twice, so it's possible the hybrid sleep was the culprit (fingers crossed) - it got disabled when the hibernate was turned off, since my Dad did tell it to sleep but it told me it couldn't un-hibernate.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Have you tried disabling sleep again,or does it still make the hibernate option reappear.

Rakk

The Awesome
Have you tried disabling sleep again,or does it still make the hibernate option reappear.

Bingo!!!

That seems to have done it, sleep disabled, no hibernate option in there at all, you're a genius!