Windows 10 / AMD Ryzen 7 / ASUS TUF X570-PLUS occasionally reboots coming out of sleep mode

cervus

Windows 10, specs below. Occasionally reboots a few seconds after coming out of sleep mode. Microsoft support were unable to help. Could it be a hardware/driver issue?

Case
FRACTAL MESHIFY S2 TEMPERED GLASS
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Eight Core CPU (3.9GHz-4.5GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 SUPER - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Windows 10, specs below. Occasionally reboots a few seconds after coming out of sleep mode. Microsoft support were unable to help. Could it be a hardware/driver issue?

Case
FRACTAL MESHIFY S2 TEMPERED GLASS
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Eight Core CPU (3.9GHz-4.5GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 SUPER - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!
Could you post the full specs? We need to see the whole build if possible.

cervus

Thanks!

Installed the latest chipset drivers.

sfc /scannow: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Screenshot:

1626124863098.png

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
As above, it's essential to have ALL the Windows updates installed. Once that's done however....

Windows does an automatic restart when a system failure occurs. They don't specify what a system failure actually is though. ;)

My guess would be that when it comes out of sleep either some driver fails to initialise or some background task fails to restart properly, and that is triggering the auto restart.

The very first thing I would do is to disable Fast Startup (enter powercfg.cpl in the Run command box, click on 'choose what the power buttons do, then uncheck the Fast Startup checkbox). This is especially important if you're using hybrid sleep (look in the advanced power options).

If that doesn't stop this (and it most likely will) then next I would disable Windows auto restart. What will probably happen then is that the system will either crash or hang - but you might get an error message that will point you at what is failing on waking from sleep. To disable auto restart enter sysdm.cpl in the Run command box, click the Advanced tab, then click the bottom Settings button (in Startup & Recovery), in there uncheck the 'Automatically Restart' checkbox.

cervus

As above, it's essential to have ALL the Windows updates installed. Once that's done however....

Windows does an automatic restart when a system failure occurs. They don't specify what a system failure actually is though. ;)

My guess would be that when it comes out of sleep either some driver fails to initialise or some background task fails to restart properly, and that is triggering the auto restart.

I should've probably mentioned that, when the PC reboots without prompt, TP-LINK Wi-Fi adapter stops working. I solve it by disabling-enabling it in Device Manager. Would that indicate a problem with its driver? I tried updating it, but am told that the best driver is already installed.

The very first thing I would do is to disable Fast Startup (enter powercfg.cpl in the Run command box, click on 'choose what the power buttons do, then uncheck the Fast Startup checkbox). This is especially important if you're using hybrid sleep (look in the advanced power options).

Yes, had done it before.

If that doesn't stop this (and it most likely will) then next I would disable Windows auto restart. What will probably happen then is that the system will either crash or hang - but you might get an error message that will point you at what is failing on waking from sleep. To disable auto restart enter sysdm.cpl in the Run command box, click the Advanced tab, then click the bottom Settings button (in Startup & Recovery), in there uncheck the 'Automatically Restart' checkbox.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
To be honest your updates are so far behind I think your best bet would be to do a clean install of the OS following the instructions below:

Download a new copy of Windows using the Media Creation Tool to an 8GB (min) USB.
Boot that USB and choose a Custom Install.
Delete all UEFI partitions on the system drive (EFI System, Recovery, MSR Reserved, Primary).
Select the unallocated space that results and click the Next button. The installer will create the correct partitions and install Windows.
Run Windows Update repeatedly, even across reboots, until no more updates are found.
You may need/want to download and install the latest graphics driver from the Nvidia/AMD website (they change so regularly the latest version isn't always in the Windows libraries).

Then we know we've got a good clean problem free software base to start from, which means if the problem persists afterwards that it's hardware

cervus

Thank you everyone for suggestions.

Re-installing Windows would be a bit too much for me. The problem is far from being a show-stopper.

I've done everything else, and had only one unprompted reboot in a week so. That is, the problem is still there, but it's hard to say if it may be less frequent now.

Again, thanks for all the help, much appreciated!