Windows 10 May 2020 Update

debiruman665

Enthusiast
Is this a consistent problem? I needed the latest version of windows to play the new minecraft RTX and the install failed at least 5 or 6 times at the restart phases. Eventually it succeeded but it managed to change my BIOS boot order and went into recovery mode due to a leftover recovery partition on my D drive which convinced me I had bricked my PC with no chance of recovery until I eventually figured it out after removing all my drives and putting them back in.

Don't like this one bit.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Is this a consistent problem? I needed the latest version of windows to play the new minecraft RTX and the install failed at least 5 or 6 times at the restart phases. Eventually it succeeded but it managed to change my BIOS boot order and went into recovery mode due to a leftover recovery partition on my D drive which convinced me I had bricked my PC with no chance of recovery until I eventually figured it out after removing all my drives and putting them back in.

Don't like this one bit.
I would not (and never do) recommend upgrading from one Windows version to another in place. Always clean install from bootable media (which you can't do with 2004 just yet because it's not released to the public yet) and delete all system partitions that were already there. If you don't do this you run into the sorts of annoying issues that you've experienced. :)

BTW. I only upgraded in place for the above tests because it's the only way to get 2004 at the moment.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
It isn't that common, to be fair but MS do occasioanlly drop the ball in new and interesting ways.

I must admit I got to the point in the past where, if it was a fresh install, blasting everything away, and I had similar sized disks, I would remove all but the boot disk... I've installed to the wrong one before now.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I would not (and never do) recommend upgrading from one Windows version to another in place. Always clean install from bootable media (which you can't do with 2004 just yet because it's not released to the public yet) and delete all system partitions that were already there. If you don't do this you run into the sorts of annoying issues that you've experienced. :)

BTW. I only upgraded in place for the above tests because it's the only way to get 2004 at the moment.

Hadn't picked up it was an in-place upgrade. As Ubuysa says, I wouldn't recommend it. Whenever you can, as much as a bit of a paint as it is, a clean install gives you a known good setup to play with. When you do an in-place upgrade it's known to cause all sorts of oddities.

I did one a few years back out of necessity (though I can't recall what that was) and it caused games to crawl, of all things. No amount of removing and reinstalling drivers helped.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
It's fine every time I try it. Are you sure it's not on lockdown at your end? :ROFLMAO:

Could be down to the location of the Azure data centres - you are probably not using UK South or UK West to get your ISO's from.

As I said earlier, MS have been diverting resources to Teams - for a while you couldn't even provision a new virtual machine in Azure as there quite literally weren't enough spare resources!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Well, got the update in my windows update on my laptop which is on Pro, but not available on my desktop which is also on Pro, and not available on the office PC which is Home.

I wonder if it's because I'm on a VPN on the laptop?

Also tried manually upgrading in place via the tool, but seems to be bugging out, it runs and then immediate goes to the end screen saying "thanks for upgrading to the latest version", so there's a bug in that it seems.

In place upgrade via windows update seemed to get stuck at 35% installing, was on that for a good 30 minutes. After that it sailed through.
First logon after restart took AGES, literally about 5 minutes. Graphics drivers had to reinstall and then icloud went a bit crazy for 30 minutes or so with quite high CPU usage, but eventually settled down. Seems stable now. Haven't come across any compatibility issues or any glitches yet but will keep my eyes peeled.

Last edited:

Old_Timer

Bronze Level Poster
3 of my PC's now "updated" to 2004, without any issues whatsoever...so far. I don't know if it's just me but I am finding this new version a little more responsive than 1909. Let's hope my good luck continues. I've got disk images of the last 1909 build backed up just incase...well you know..

I still use "classic shell" though..would let that go for the world.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
3 of my PC's now "updated" to 2004, without any issues whatsoever...so far. I don't know if it's just me but I am finding this new version a little more responsive than 1909. Let's hope my good luck continues. I've got disk images of the last 1909 build backed up just incase...well you know..

I still use "classic shell" though..would let that go for the world.
Same here, 3 PC’s without issue and liking it so far although haven’t really put it through many paces. Gaming seems fine which is the main thing for me.

One returning niggle for me is my NIC on the laptop will fail to automatically connect to the WiFi on boot, so I have to manually connect it before the vpn kicks in, that’s been on and off for about a year now, but they’d pretty much resolved it with 1909

Old_Timer

Bronze Level Poster
Same here, 3 PC’s without issue and liking it so far although haven’t really put it through many paces. Gaming seems fine which is the main thing for me.

One returning niggle for me is my NIC on the laptop will fail to automatically connect to the WiFi on boot, so I have to manually connect it before the vpn kicks in, that’s been on and off for about a year now, but they’d pretty much resolved it with 1909

I often feel left out having no issues after upgrading Windows. Sometimes a bit of carnage is good for the soul...sometimes.
I've only ever had one issue on one PC upgrading Windows [Yeah that one..;) ], but every time I do it my knees are a tremblin'