Windows 10 Network - Secured, not connected

andrewstevens556

Bronze Level Poster
Urm, you've got an anchor free TAP in place, I'm almost positive that's throttling your network speeds on the wifi.

What AV do you run, is it Panda by any chance?
Still the above comment. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with your wireless.

need to know what AV you’re running?

Sorry, missed these posts as I was sorting the screenshots out again after not copying that one command right

Still have Bullguard installed. Happy to uninstall though.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
No VPN - wouldn't know how to set one up tbh.

Will uninstall Bullguard now. Do I need to replace it with anything?
No, windows has its own antivirus.

do you use any virtual machines?

reason I’m asking is there’s a TAP on your network which is a virtual network adapter usually associated with VPN’s.

if you don’t know how it got there then that’s concerning. It’s essentially a private tunnel to an endpoint somewhere on the internet.

Further edit, just go into programs and features from control panel and make sure there's nothing under Panda security.

andrewstevens556

Bronze Level Poster
No, windows has its own antivirus.

do you use any virtual machines?

reason I’m asking is there’s a TAP on your network which is a virtual network adapter usually associated with VPN’s.

if you don’t know how it got there then that’s concerning. It’s essentially a private tunnel to an endpoint somewhere on the internet.

Further edit, just go into programs and features from control panel and make sure there's nothing under Panda security.

Ideal, thank you.

I've solved the TAP issue. I saw it in "Networks" the other day and Googled for it as I couldn't understand what it was so your explanation is helpful.

Your VPN comment made me go look at Dashlane - when I installed the new version the other day it mentioned something about VPN. Just went through the settings and on the VPN menu was "Status: Not Connected", plus a "Connect" button and an "Uninstall VPN button". Clicked Uninstall VPN, checked networks again and the TAP has disappeared.

Just checked Programs and Features - no sign of Panda Security.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ideal, thank you.

I've solved the TAP issue. I saw it in "Networks" the other day and Googled for it as I couldn't understand what it was so your explanation is helpful.

Your VPN comment made me go look at Dashlane - when I installed the new version the other day it mentioned something about VPN. Just went through the settings and on the VPN menu was "Status: Not Connected", plus a "Connect" button and an "Uninstall VPN button". Clicked Uninstall VPN, checked networks again and the TAP has disappeared.

Ah, ok, that makes sense then, that's all good.

Just looking through the outputs you posted in a bit more detail.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You wifi network is set on "Public" which will cause all sorts of problems, you need to change it to private.

Go to "Network Status", "change connection properties" and flick it to private.

andrewstevens556

Bronze Level Poster
You wifi network is set on "Public" which will cause all sorts of problems, you need to change it to private.

Go to "Network Status", "change connection properties" and flick it to private.

Noted, thank you!

Have just done as you suggest.

When I swapped it the Ethernet connection changed. Pulled the plug on the ethernet and the wireless showed as public still (No internet, secured was showing). Ran troubleshooter, it connected properly again, and it automatically showed the wireless as Private too.

:)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Noted, thank you!

Have just done as you suggest.

When I swapped it the Ethernet connection changed. Pulled the plug on the ethernet and the wireless showed as public still (No internet, secured was showing). Ran troubleshooter, it connected properly again, and it automatically showed the wireless as Private too.

:)
It probably had to reset the adapter after switching the network properties.

Let's see how you get on tomorrow.

Worth doing a speedtest to see how fast you're getting on the wifi.

andrewstevens556

Bronze Level Poster
Screenshot (74).png
Screenshot (77).png
Screenshot (78).png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Wow, that’s a nice connection!

a speed test will vary from one test to another, but that’s looking pretty healthy :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ideal, thank you.

That's interesting, and I missed the TAP adapter myself. It is indeed the virtual network adapter used by a VPN.

However, the problem you were having is that on resuming from sleep Windows was not renewing the WiFi adapter lease via DHCP and you lost your IP address. You can see that on those outputs, when all is well your IP address is 192.168.1.226, which is a valid IP address, when you had the 'No Internet, Secured' message your IP address was 169.254.196.61, which is an 'autoconfiguration address' and is NOT a valid IP address. The reason you get that autoconfig address is because DHCP failed to either renew the lease or provide a new set of IP config details. The reason I asked for all that output was to see whether it was possible to see why.

It would appear that the VPN component of Dashlane was responsible for preventing the DCHP renew, though quite why is a mystery?

All kudos to SpyderTracks for spotting the TAP adapter! :)