Windows 10 September 2019 Update (1909)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It would seem from what I'm reading that Microsoft are making some significant changes to the way Windows 10 upgrades are delivered. The September 1909 update (and I use the word update deliberately) is effectively what we used to call a service pack. It delivers updated functionality to some existing Windows components but no new features; hence it's being delivered as a regular update rather than an upgrade.

It seems that Microsoft intend their future Windows 10 releases to follow a similar pattern; the April upgrade will be a feature release and will be best installed clean from bootable media. I suspect that allowing Windows Update to upgrade-in-place one of the April feature upgrades will continue to cause niggly issues and problems for some users. The September release will apparently be more of a service pack (to the April upgrade) and it should be safe for everyone to allow Windows Update to install it (as long as the April version is already installed).

Microsoft will still use AI to determine which PCs receive these updates via Windows Update and when, so some users will have to wait a while to receive them, but both the April and September upgrades will still be available as an ISO download from the release date and can be clean installed as before.

In addition it seems that the September 1909 update, and possibly future September updates, is optional - under certain circumstances. If your version of Windows 10 moves beyond it's support lifetime then 1909 will become a required update (and in that case should be clean installed).

The release window for 1909 began on September 10th, so potentially it could be released anytime from now to the end of October, although based on problems with previous releases it's much more likely to be later than sooner....

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It seems the 1909 update will not now happen until November, it has been officially named the November 2019 Update, though it will still be known as version 1909. It looks as though it will be build 18363.418 but that might change if problems are found.

It is still planned to be supplied as a regular Windows update and there will be no need to clean install it as with earlier upgrades - a disk image backup first will of course be a very wise move!

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...new-name/3d844ab2-1ed4-4a91-b808-fa7c48ffa2a1

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...update-ready-for-release/#G1SObO3tKZyWTuqS.97

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If they make a mess of this one (which is supposed to be more of a service pack rather than new features) then MS are gonna take some heavy flack. It's not just MS though, Apple truly borked their latest updates to both IOS and MacOS, games on release are nothing more than Beta's.... gone are the days of tested releases.

turbocool

I have has issues upgrading on the October release. The laptop would just stop at 3% and not budge. It's a slow i3 cpu laptop, so I thought it might be taking ages. I can see HD activity, but 24 hours after it was still at 3% so I decided to abort the upgrade.

Maybe I'll do a clean install on it after the latest installer files comes out.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ha ha! The Windows 10 download page is borked!

Untitled.jpg

D

Deleted member 88683

But will it stop random OS corruption, i very much doubt it!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
1909 has just arrived as a feature update in Windows Update. I note that the website still contains 1903 however.

I'm installing 1909 as an update as we speak, I'll let you know how it goes. As soon as it's on the website I'll download a full iso - just in cases...

Later update:

Well that was quick! Blink and you'll miss it. The only difference between 1909 and any other update is that it does a double restart. It downloaded and installed in less than 5 minutes. I'm starting to wonder whether all they've done is change the winver output...!

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
1909 has just arrived as a feature update in Windows Update. I note that the website still contains 1903 however.

I'm installing 1909 as an update as we speak, I'll let you know how it goes. As soon as it's on the website I'll download a full iso - just in cases...

Later update:

Well that was quick! Blink and you'll miss it. The only difference between 1909 and any other update is that it does a double restart. It downloaded and installed in less than 5 minutes. I'm starting to wonder whether all they've done is change the winver output...!

View attachment 14359
It's all bug fixes rather than feature changes.

The only difference I've seen is that folder protection is a little more agressive at the moment.