Windows 10 trying to re-install after reverting back to Windows 7

roghun

Bronze Level Poster
As the title suggests, my wife's Powerglide AIO seemed to eventually ignore our constant declining to install Windows 10 . . . and went ahead and did it !!

My wife doesn't want Windows 10 on her PC (as I've had a number of problems with in on my Maestro AIO).

So yesterday, I used the facility to revert back to Windows 7 (within the 30 day specified period) and this worked successfully.

I arrive back this afternoon to find that Windows 10 is installing itself again on my wife's PC!

Anybody with any comments on how to prevent this? It's like Microsoft is not giving her a choice, even though it successfully reverted back to Windows 7 only yesterday?

Thanks

LFFPicard

Godlike
If you want the reason why it is doing this.

Microsoft recently moved Windows 10 upgrade up to the recommended updates category.
This now means for most people who have automatic updates turned on will automatically have Windows 10 installed.

I simpler solution if you do not wish to install other software would be to turn automatic updates to critical and security updates only. But I would assume Microsoft will eventually move Windows 10 upto a critial update as well as they want to unify all operating systems so they can drop support of all the older ones.

roghun

Bronze Level Poster
There's a little program you can install that will permanently disable it even checking for the windows 10 update, so it won't even know it's there. When you come to wanting to upgrade, you just uninstall this program and it allows the update again.

I'll vouch for HowToGeeks, they're a great site and the download is legit.

http://www.howtogeek.com/228551/how...-8-from-downloading-windows-10-automatically/

Thanks very much SpyderTracks! I've gone ahead and used the application and it was easy to follow as per its user manual.

I'm pretty sure that everything is now disabled, unless Microsoft finds some way of sneaking in through the back door again in the future!

Hopefully, this is now all sorted but I'll keep a close eye on things in the coming days/weeks.

Thanks once again!

roghun

Bronze Level Poster
If you want the reason why it is doing this.

Microsoft recently moved Windows 10 upgrade up to the recommended updates category.
This now means for most people who have automatic updates turned on will automatically have Windows 10 installed.

I simpler solution if you do not wish to install other software would be to turn automatic updates to critical and security updates only. But I would assume Microsoft will eventually move Windows 10 upto a critial update as well as they want to unify all operating systems so they can drop support of all the older ones.

When I cancelled the downloading of Windows 10 this afternoon and then went to look at my Windows Updates I could see that it was highlighted as 'Important'.

I know what Microsoft want, but its passive/aggressive approach will continue to lose them customers.

Windows 10 is still full of issues in my view; especially the 'Taskbar not responding' issue, which seems pretty common and certainly affects me on a daily basis on my PC. Microsoft's suggested 'fixes' for this just do not work.

LFFPicard

Godlike
When I cancelled the downloading of Windows 10 this afternoon and then went to look at my Windows Updates I could see that it was highlighted as 'Important'.

I know what Microsoft want, but its passive/aggressive approach will continue to lose them customers.

Windows 10 is still full of issues in my view; especially the 'Taskbar not responding' issue, which seems pretty common and certainly affects me on a daily basis on my PC. Microsoft's suggested 'fixes' for this just do not work.

Aaaah last I knew it was on recommended, thanks for noting there pushing it as important now. Makes my advice mute haha.
And yes the only issue I have had with Windows 10 is the taskbar issue, but it only lasts seconds before being responsive again so it is no biggy for me as I seldom use the taskbar anyway.