Windows 11

steaky360

Potentially, but I think its more likely that PCS would be in touch with people to ask individually rather than just blanket upgrading.

They offered Win10 and Win7 for quite some time after Win10's release so I'd expect the same to happen this time myself.

JediMonsoon

Gold Level Poster
Potentially, but I think its more likely that PCS would be in touch with people to ask individually rather than just blanket upgrading.

They offered Win10 and Win7 for quite some time after Win10's release so I'd expect the same to happen this time myself.
Possibly just an option on the configuration tables?

DarTon

It's not clear to me yet that Win 11 will be released that early. Seems they just want to demonstrate that they can make their UI look a bit more Mac/Linux like. Problem is that it still looks so much worse than either of them! Plus will it get rid of all the crap apps they try to install and improve the MS store?

I never touch the early versions of MS's newest O/S given their track record. I bought my 2015 custom build with Win7 Pro despite Win8 being available and Win10 being about to come out. I'm sure they'll give people the option to stay with Win10.

Anyway, I'm far more excited by the fact that the Macbook Pro with an M1X might be being brought forward. The idea of an APU with something close to 3070 mobile GPU performance, on a Mac, might mean I never need to upgrade to Win11.

steaky360

Why do they insist on messing with the Start menu :rolleyes:

I feel like W10 is finally in a decent place and the thought of moving to a new version is actually kinda annoying to be frank
I'm sure plenty of folk thought that about going from Win7 to Win8 and then onto Win10 too... guess its just change is a fact of life ;) - I'm sure we will get used to it, or install some kind of theme/skin to take it back to something we prefer :D

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Haud the bus!!

Windows 11? Were we not categorically told that Win10 would be the last one and it would be a modular upgrade system that would never need another iteration?

o_O

I'm completely blind sided by this as it wasn't anywhere near my radar!

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Haud the bus!!

Windows 11? Were we not categorically told that Win10 would be the last one and it would be a modular upgrade system that would never need another iteration?

o_O

I'm completely blind sided by this as it wasn't anywhere near my radar!
I think i saw somewhere support for W10 will end in 2025

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
@Scott

That was a long time ago in galaxy far far away.

MS were meant to launch Win10X in 2021 but that idea wasn't working out too well. Plus Apple came along and got a lot of headlines with M1 and the BigSur refresh.

MS is feeling a bit left out and ignored. So lo and behold: Windows 11 is coming to a PC near you.

I'll await the "ahh, but what we meant was....... "

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I think i saw somewhere support for W10 will end in 2025

That's just ridiculous to be honest. I sincerely hope that's not the case. How many businesses around the world have structured their entire security policy around Win10?

If that is indeed the case my guess is that Windows 11 is actually just a front end for exactly the same backend kernel, if it's not..... heads will roll!

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
That's just ridiculous to be honest. I sincerely hope that's not the case. How many businesses around the world have structured their entire security policy around Win10?

If that is indeed the case my guess is that Windows 11 is actually just a front end for exactly the same backend kernel, if it's not..... heads will roll!
When i retired at the end of March last year, the university i worked at was just starting to migrate all their PC's from W7 Pro over to W10............

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
When i retired at the end of March last year, the university i worked at was just starting to migrate all their PC's from W7 Pro over to W10............

Our company has been in the process of rolling it out over the past 18 months. Covid stalled the entire operation though and it ground to a halt. I've had a Win10 system since they planned to start it as my manager pushed for me to get one so that I could test the integrity of all the systems we use (and adapt them to work).

Most of the people I work with are still Win7 as the entire security policy is wrapped around it. We have always been late adopters to change though so I'm not surprised.

Some of the CMMs we have on-site actually run Windows NT :ROFLMAO: People are scared to touch them in case they stop working :D

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It won't be called 'Windows 11'. I'll put good money on that. If the name changes at all my bet is it will just be called 'Windows' with no suffix.

I'd be surprised it it wasn't offered on new builds as soon as it's available.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Some parts of our company have to pay Microsoft a large wedge every year to provide support for critical machines that still rely on XP.

The actual lines they run have a 10-20 year lifespan, but the controller usually remains as the same old XP PC...because it's a known quantity and works fine!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Some parts of our company have to pay Microsoft a large wedge every year to provide support for critical machines that still rely on XP.

The actual lines they run have a 10-20 year lifespan, but the controller usually remains as the same old XP PC...because it's a known quantity and works fine!
And we wonder why companies suffer ransomware and other malware attacks.

I've been in the industry of course, so I well understand why companies stick with an OS that runs their critical software, but it's can-kicking. When it comes back to bite them, and it will, the price will be large and painful.

We're back to the short-termist accountants again who won't spend the money because they're incapable of seeing the need.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
It's no surprise when they come to me and ask me to spec an "appropriate" system :devilish:

Then follows...... Owwww Mooch????

KippleKat

Enthusiast
Oh man I wasn't honestly expecting a new Windows version, then seeing they'll end support for Windows 10 in 2025 😅
Lots of businesses have only just upgraded to Windows 10....some very big ones like the NHS are still trying to do that. I contracted for them two years ago in an IT capacity and they're still rolling it out :ROFLMAO:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Oh man I wasn't honestly expecting a new Windows version, then seeing they'll end support for Windows 10 in 2025 😅
Lots of businesses have only just upgraded to Windows 10....some very big ones like the NHS are still trying to do that. I contracted for them two years ago in an IT capacity and they're still rolling it out :ROFLMAO:
The main problem I believe is that many organisations/businesses based their systems around bespoke software that was written a couple of decades ago for XP and which may not run well, or at all, on Windows 10. Some of this software was written in-house by people who have since retired, some was cobbled together from disparate bespoke systems that were never intended to interoperate, and some by using software that is no longer supported by the vendor.

The solution I believe is to plan to migrate to standardised interoperable applications that will be upgraded by the vendor as the OS changes.

I fully appreciate that this is a non-trivial task and will involve extensive retraining and possibly reworking of procedures and processes, but natural resistance to change is not a reason to delay, neither is the "why change if it's working" mantra. Operating systems will always evolve and the rate of change is speeding up, so it's essential that organisations base their business on software which will be supported by the vendor across operating system changes. The days of bespoke systems are dead - actually they were dead about 15 years ago but nobody wanted to admit it.