Windows 11

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'm not saying upgrading to Windows 11 from Windows 10, Asking for what will happen to my product key for windows 10 if I do clean install Windows 11 from image disc or downloaded/installed ISO file from Microsoft? I mean I'm planning to delete all disc partitions including where Windows 10 installed. Then I'm planning to install new Windows 11. Will I still use my Windows as activated or my code works only for Windows 10? Is it safe to do? Thanks for advice!

PS: I bought my Laptop with original Windows 10 installed, from PCS.
If your PC has a licensed copy of Windows 10 installed AND it's been successfully activated AND your PC meets ALL of the Windows 11 requirements (inc CPU model) then the upgrade to Windows 11 is free. It doesn't matter whether you upgrade Windows 10 in place to Windows 11 or whether you clean install Windows 11, as long as you already have a legally activated copy of Windows 10 then Windows 11 will install and activate.

Bhuna50

Author Level
I’m getting an error with that link but might be because I’m on mobile. Will try later.

Quick warning for anyone new to the PC world and even some that think they know it all. The very first thing you need to do before updating to Windows 11, apart from turning on your machine and logging on, is to make sure you have BACKED UP everything, all your data etc.

You may end up having to go back to Windows 10 for a month or so if you experience issues as whilst I’m sure effort is made to ensure all current drivers will switch across OK, there is always one or two niggly things that mean some drivers might not work as they did before, and if you are like me, IT WILL be one of your drivers [emoji23][emoji23].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I’m getting an error with that link but might be because I’m on mobile. Will try later.

Quick warning for anyone new to the PC world and even some that think they know it all. The very first thing you need to do before updating to Windows 11, apart from turning on your machine and logging on, is to make sure you have BACKED UP everything, all your data etc.

You may end up having to go back to Windows 10 for a month or so if you experience issues as whilst I’m sure effort is made to ensure all current drivers will switch across OK, there is always one or two niggly things that mean some drivers might not work as they did before, and if you are like me, IT WILL be one of your drivers [emoji23][emoji23].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The link works OK for me and it's an interesting read.

I fully support your backup hint. Definitely a wise move. :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Interesting read here

With any new OS version, it would always be more sensible to dual boot until it's about 6 months in, then you can revert whenever you want to.

With desktop and user folders now syncing via OneDrive, there's nothing you need to do between the two OS boots to keep them current.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
With any new OS version, it would always be more sensible to dual boot until it's about 6 months in, then you can revert whenever you want to.

With desktop and user folders now syncing via OneDrive, there's nothing you need to do between the two OS boots to keep them current.
Might give this a try once W11 is officially released, not tried a duel boot before, but just checked out this video on youtube, seems easy enough to set up

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Might give this a try once W11 is officially released, not tried a duel boot before, but just checked out this video on youtube, seems easy enough to set up

It's really easy, it's the very first part where you'd normally wipe partitions, you either create a secondary partition on the normal boot drive, or have a secondary disk as the boot drive for that installation, the rest is all the same as normal.

Then you still have both installs fully functional and as only one is ever active at a time you can legally use rhe same license.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It's really easy, it's the very first part where you'd normally wipe partitions, you either create a secondary partition on the normal boot drive, or have a secondary disk as the boot drive for that installation, the rest is all the same as normal.

Then you still have both installs fully functional and as only one is ever active at a time you can legally use rhe same license.
Yeah in that video they do a clean install of W10 as normal wiping all partitions, then for the partition to install W11 on they shrink the partition that W10 is on and install W11 to the resulting unallocated space

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So now it's a legit OS, has anyone actually installed it?
So it is. I'm downloading the media creation tool now, does that count? :ROFLMAO:

Later edit: Now I'm writing the USB stick.......

Still later edit: Now that's interesting. The media creation tool fails with the 0x8007000D - 0x90002 error. It's the same whether I use a USB stick or write an ISO file. That error is associated with Windows Update but the Windows Update troubleshooter finds no problems at all. I wonder whether this is because I have an unsupported CPU??

Even later edit: The media creation tool is running as I type on my aged PCS Optimus IV laptop (which definitely isn't Windows 11 compatible), so it's some sort of issue on the PC. Security system perhaps? A cache that needs clearing? I'll have a look when I have more time in case is helps anyone else. :)

Much later that before edit: It was my security system that was the problem. Disabling my host intrusion protection system allows the media creation tool to run normally. If anyone else is having problems, disable any non-Microsoft security. :)

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So it is. I'm downloading the media creation tool now, does that count? :ROFLMAO:

Later edit: Now I'm writing the USB stick.......

Still later edit: Now that's interesting. The media creation tool fails with the 0x8007000D - 0x90002 error. It's the same whether I use a USB stick or write an ISO file. That error is associated with Windows Update but the Windows Update troubleshooter finds no problems at all. I wonder whether this is because I have an unsupported CPU??

Even later edit: The media creation tool is running as I type on my aged PCS Optimus IV laptop (which definitely isn't Windows 11 compatible), so it's some sort of issue on the PC. Security system perhaps? A cache that needs clearing? I'll have a look when I have more time in case is helps anyone else. :)

Much later that before edit: It was my security system that was the problem. Disabling my host intrusion protection system allows the media creation tool to run normally. If anyone else is having problems, disable any non-Microsoft security. :)
Keen to hear your thoughts on it, may give it a try on the laptop this evening.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You've inspired me along with one of my colleagues who is currently installing on an unsupported laptop.

Created bootable USB, gonna do a dual boot on my laptop which isn't supported.

EDIT: CPU is preventing installer, gives a warning about no TPM, but CPU incompatibility (4th gen i7) is blocking installation.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You've inspired me along with one of my colleagues who is currently installing on an unsupported laptop.

Created bootable USB, gonna do a dual boot on my laptop which isn't supported.

EDIT: CPU is preventing installer, gives a warning about no TPM, but CPU incompatibility (4th gen i7) is blocking installation.
It's installed OK in a partition (dual boot) but I do have a TPM - I have an I7-6700.

I've come across my first hate too - and it's going to cause us no end of trouble...

In Windows Updates the optional updates (mostly drivers of course) is buried! You have to select Advanced Options then Optional Updates and then Driver Updates to find them!!

It's currently updating drivers and it has installed a couple of Windows updates too.

What concerns me the most is whether I'll get updates on my unsupported CPU system. It might be a few days before I can find out.

It looks very nice anyway and it already makes the Windows 10 UI look clunky.

First impressions (and I've used it for all of 10 minutes) are generally favourable.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I downloaded the media creation tool twice last night, started on the Berserker, went to write it the USB and it failed, then i downloaded it on the laptop and it created it fine (windows defender on both machines), I've created a partition for it on the C drive on the Berserker so shall install on their today on duel boot

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It is installing Windows updates. I'm getting a cumulative update and a Defender security update too. That's encouraging.

I'm already thinking that if they keep giving me updates I'll keep Win11.

The perfmon /report command still doesn't generate a health report - the data collector never ends. It's been like that for years now. :(

All drivers have now installed via Windows Update. There was one unknown device (a USB3 Root Hub) but on diving into optional driver updates (that process really is a pain!) it was there waiting to be installed.

BTW In Edge on Win11 I've got the very light grey highlight bar issue on these forums that we had earlier. In Win10 I get the normal blue highlight bar. That's probably style sheet related?

Under the covers there's still a lot of Windows 10 (and even Windows 7) features. If you right click on the 'start' icon and select System, then select Advanced System Settings you get the clunky old (Windows 7) System Properties dialog. Folder options is the same, if you want to change them you get the old Folder Options dialog.

The Widget button is useless. It shows the MSN news and weather feed you can get in Windows 10, but in Windows 11 it slides in from the left. No options to add any non-Microsoft widgets though....

Here's a BIG surprise after all the hype about how secure Windows 11 is and how it won't run on non-TPM motherboards and older CPUs; the Core Isolation feature (HVCI) was NOT turned on by default!! I've now turned it on but it makes a mockery of all that hype - most users won't even know where to find it to turn it on! 0/10 for that from me.

The dual boot setup is a tad clunky too. It's clear the the boot manager is in the Windows 10 EFI, when you select Windows 11 the PC reboots, I guess to access the Windows 11 EFI. It's not a big deal but that's how it is.

Another thing I don't like; the Start menu comes with a bunch of pinned tiles (like Windows 10 does) and if you click on any of the tiles that happens to be a stub for a Windows Store app they immediately begin installing. It should ask whether you want to install this app but it doesn't, it just does it.

I've not found an easy way to get into the advanced power options, there is no option in Settings I can find (just sleep and screen off) and no link in there. There's no menu item for the old control panel either (there was in Windows 10). If you search for control panel it's still there and clicking the old Power Options icon in there brings up the old Windows 10 power options dialog from where you can get to advanced power options.

Last edited:

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'm struggling to find a way to sync the theme so that I've got the same desktop as i have on my W10 accounts, this bright blue ribbon type thing is doing my head in, I've managed to show all my icons in the bottom right hand corner and put the start button on the left where it belongs, if i wanted it in the middle then I'd have a raincoat based devise

Bhuna50

Author Level
I've had enough of Windows at the moment, so leaving it to you experts to try it out first :D LOL

(had a big row with the window company yesterday as they didnt show up and had moved on to their next job as well - presumably going to pop back every now and again to finish off here...with all rooms disrupted as all windows need making good on inside etc, I was not happy) LOL.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I've had enough of Windows at the moment, so leaving it to you experts to try it out first :D LOL

(had a big row with the window company yesterday as they didnt show up and had moved on to their next job as well - presumably going to pop back every now and again to finish off here...with all rooms disrupted as all windows need making good on inside etc, I was not happy) LOL.
Oh that's not good mate, why do companies do this type of thing, had a similar problem with the guys who did mums drive etc last year