Windows 11

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
@Martinr36, I think you're suffering the normal reaction to change, you're trying to make Windows 11 fit a model you've become used to. I see that you've already moved the taskbar icons (back) to the left. I've had the same reaction to almost every version of Windows they've released and wondered (sometimes aloud) why they couldn't just leave the interface the way it was.
Lot of truth in this, yeah I moved back to the left, otherwise i don't think there's going to room on the right for the bits in the notification area (sorry the overflow corner) especially on the laptop

1633601352812.png

Now that is interesting if you set it to center and have lots of stuff in the overflow corner (horrible phrase) then as you open programs (apps belong on a phone along with widgets, which are turned off by the way), then the taskbar icons move to the left, so the start button ends up where it belongs anyway :ROFLMAO: (y)
You're an old 'un like me I think (apologies if you're a young whipper-snapper still in short trousers) and one advantage you get with age is that you worry about things less - and especially when you're retired (I think you are too?).
Yeah, I'm a young, retired, old'un like you and yes still in short trousers as its still shorts weather as no "D" in the month, and yeah i'll get used to it, it wont get the treatment that another piece of software i use got the other week when an upgrade came out (with a beta tag on it), it lasted about 15 minutes before getting uninstalled and the previous version being reinstalled (the update got a lot of similar reaction on the companies official facebook page as well).
Without wishing to appear disrespectful to the two of you, that statement makes me think of you both like Waldorf and Statler from the Muppets. I’m so sorry!

View attachment 29721
@ubuysa , I think some of these young'uns have a bit to learn

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
This young'un (I'm 32, so it feels a bit of a stretch in all honesty) has an alternative: press the Windows key and type what you want to find, then hit enter. Then you never need learn how the Start menu works, or trouble yourself over sorting method. I'm sure I haven't scrolled through it for years.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Each to his own, but why do you need so may icons pined to the the taskbar? A lot of what's in the system bar (at the right) could be hidden without losing access to them. That doesn't look very well organised at all to me.
So i can get to all my normal apps easily & get all my notifications

Bigfoot

Grand Master
Lot of truth in this, yeah I moved back to the left, otherwise i don't think there's going to room on the right for the bits in the notification area (sorry the overflow corner) especially on the laptop

View attachment 29723

Now that is interesting if you set it to center and have lots of stuff in the overflow corner (horrible phrase) then as you open programs (apps belong on a phone along with widgets, which are turned off by the way), then the taskbar icons move to the left, so the start button ends up where it belongs anyway :ROFLMAO: (y)

Yeah, I'm a young, retired, old'un like you and yes still in short trousers as its still shorts weather as no "D" in the month, and yeah i'll get used to it, it wont get the treatment that another piece of software i use got the other week when an upgrade came out (with a beta tag on it), it lasted about 15 minutes before getting uninstalled and the previous version being reinstalled (the update got a lot of similar reaction on the companies official facebook page as well).

@ubuysa , I think some of these young'uns have a bit to learn
I don’t think the shorts wearing philosophy would work well in Aberdeenshire if you value your legs. A better philosophy is to wear shorts in months with no vowels. A few years ago we took my mum to Balmoral (no my name is not Charles, Anne, Andrew or Edward). We were told that August is the only month that they can be sure not to get frost, although that rule has now been broken. This year we had a couple of feet of snow in the garden in mid-April and it is not unknown for the rivers to freeze over with temperatures well below -10.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I don’t think the shorts wearing philosophy would work well in Aberdeenshire if you value your legs. A better philosophy is to wear shorts in months with no vowels. A few years ago we took my mum to Balmoral (no my name is not Charles, Anne, Andrew or Edward). We were told that August is the only month that they can be sure not to get frost, although that rule has now been broken. This year we had a couple of feet of snow in the garden in mid-April and it is not unknown for the rivers to freeze over with temperatures well below -10.
I have another bit to the short wearing thing, if the grass is still green & doesn't break when you bend it, then its still shorts weather

RichLan564

Bright Spark
I think i might spin up a quick VM in Oracle Virtualbox and have a play with Windows 11, until then its going nowhere near my live system!

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I think i might spin up a quick VM in Oracle Virtualbox and have a play with Windows 11, until then its going nowhere near my live system!
I've got it as the sole system on my laptop, but duel boot on the desktop, and i did a system backup with Acronis before i installed it on the laptop

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
But that's what the task bar has always been for, pinning regularly used apps to, I believe going back as far as W2000
I have always used the taskbar for items I need immediatly, others have specific tiles pinned to the start menu (in 10) and will be on that popup menu in 11. Windows allows for a program hierarchy; vital stuff on the taskbar or on the desktop, important stuff on the start menu, and everything else in the alphabetic list of apps...

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Ok quick question which i think i know the answer to:

A friend of mine has a PC that has W10 build 1809 on it which i've been trying to get to upgrade 21H1, without a lot of success at the moment, and she's thinking of getting me to spec her a W11 desktop on here to replace it with, so my question is this, if i create a digital W10 license on the existing pc, and she were to purchase the new PC without windows, would she then be able to use that digital license to install W11?
The existing PC wont be used anymore

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok quick question which i think i know the answer to:

A friend of mine has a PC that has W10 build 1809 on it which i've been trying to get to upgrade 21H1, without a lot of success at the moment, and she's thinking of getting me to spec her a W11 desktop on here to replace it with, so my question is this, if i create a digital W10 license on the existing pc, and she were to purchase the new PC without windows, would she then be able to use that digital license to install W11?
The existing PC wont be used anymore
Yes, might have to initially install windows 10, license it and then upgrade, bit I think standalone windows 11 installer will accept a windows 10 license key

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yes, might have to initially install windows 10, license it and then upgrade, bit I think standalone windows 11 installer will accept a windows 10 license key
That's what i was thinking, and I have copies of both media creation tools on separate usb thumb drives

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
My main concern in moving to Windows 11 on a PC with an unsupported CPU (an i7-6700, so well unsupported) was whether Microsoft would make good on their recent implied threat not to provide servicing updates to unsupported systems. That's really why I set up a dual boot test system for Windows 11, to see whether it would receive servicing updates. I did get a cumulative update on the day I installed Windows 11 but I discounted that as just being part of the installation.

I've had a few Windows Defender signature updates since installing, but they don't really count for much. Today however I've had two servicing updates (KB5006674 and KB5005537). My Windows 10 system received similar servicing updates as well.

For me this is proof positive that unsupported systems will still receive normal servicing updates and I'll be installing Windows 11 as my production system in the next few days. :)

I appreciate that Microsoft could stop providing servicing updates to unsupported systems in the future, but having started to do so it would be politically very difficult for them to subsequently stop. I don't believe that's likely to happen.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My main concern in moving to Windows 11 on a PC with an unsupported CPU (an i7-6700, so well unsupported) was whether Microsoft would make good on their recent implied threat not to provide servicing updates to unsupported systems. That's really why I set up a dual boot test system for Windows 11, to see whether it would receive servicing updates. I did get a cumulative update on the day I installed Windows 11 but I discounted that as just being part of the installation.

I've had a few Windows Defender signature updates since installing, but they don't really count for much. Today however I've had two servicing updates (KB5006674 and KB5005537). My Windows 10 system received similar servicing updates as well.

For me this is proof positive that unsupported systems will still receive normal servicing updates and I'll be installing Windows 11 as my production system in the next few days. :)

I appreciate that Microsoft could stop providing servicing updates to unsupported systems in the future, but having started to do so it would be politically very difficult for them to subsequently stop. I don't believe that's likely to happen.
I've found a way to allow the installer on an unsupported system without tpm (as well as 4th gen intel), so I shall give that a try probably tonight and feedback

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Good to hear that you are getting the updates, the laptop which i did an in place upgrade on seems to be ok, I had a couple of minor problems on the Berserker (duel booting) with the theme background not displaying properly, but that all seems good now