Windows 1903 available

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all

Windows 1903 is now available, if you can't get it through windows update, you can download the update from the usual MS website:

I'm currently downloading on my laptop, will report with findings.

This includes the windows sandbox which is what I wanted to particularly test out.

Thanks

Spyder

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Seems pretty sturdy, obviously from first interpretations.

Data is all intact... phew!

Much better windows updates control, you can delay updates as you like.

Better log in options (mainly for newer systems, perhaps a couple of years old).

I'm on the dark theme, but they've got a new light theme which may appeal.

Haven't got around to checking the sandbox, think it's all cmd based, but will post once I've had a bit of time with it.

Went so well, I'm actually updating my media server as we speak (foolish I know).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ah, thanks. My understanding was that the sandbox feature was not available in Home...?
Ah, ok, wasn’t aware of that. That’s a shame, hopefully they’ll roll it out to home users in the future, although I guess it is a pretty advanced feature.

Old_Timer

Bronze Level Poster
This just popped up in my update screen. I must admit it's nice to be given the option for a change.

Just a thow out here, would it now be safe to upgrade ? I've read a lot of horror stories recently.

For the record I've never had a problem, to the best of my knowledge, with a Windows 10 update.

All opinions are most welcome.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This just popped up in my update screen. I must admit it's nice to be given the option for a change.

Just a thow out here, would it now be safe to upgrade ? I've read a lot of horror stories recently.

For the record I've never had a problem, to the best of my knowledge, with a Windows 10 update.

All opinions are most welcome.

View attachment 13136
I've installed it on 3 separate systems:

My main Gaming PC/Media Server - No issues running on Windows Defender
My laptop - No issues running on Windows Defender
Office PC - Wouldn't install until I uninstalled Kaspersky. Then once trialling running on Windows Defender for a few days, kept disabling windows defender on each reboot and had to be manually reenabled. Think it may have been due to some residual files/services left over from the Kaspersky installation causing a conflict. Ended up reinstalling Kaspersky on it and now running smoothly again.

Personally, I've had no issues other than the 3rd party AV stuff.

No loss of data, no application incompatibility, didn't have to reinstall printers as did on 1807.

I would give a wary ok, but do check your AV after installation, make sure it's all functioning correctly. Pretty much all 3rd Party AV vendors had issues with this update, but should be patched now. I would also do a manual check for OS updates after the update as there were some fairly important security updates ready to be applied.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
FWIW I never do an upgrade in place, and haven't done so since Vista I think. I always clean install each new version of Windows and although that means reinstalling all my third party applications I can complete the whole process in less than a day.

My data is (and always has been) on a separate drive (or partition) so that I don't have to worry about it. It's all backed up every night in any case.

Although a clean install takes longer to do you're pretty much guaranteed a faultless install and no niggly issues with older or outdated apps. I've never had any of the countless strange issues that seem to afflict many who do upgrade in place.

I've not installed 1903 yet, were having a short break on the south of the island, but I'll be clean installing early next week....

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
@ubuysa

That does seem a sensible approach indeed. Food for thought..
I would agree it usually leads to a better experience.

And with Win 10 installation process, it's remarkably fast compared to previous windows, really the bit that takes the time is reinstalling programs etc, but most of my stuff is cloud based so that's not really a factor anyway, depends on your setup.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Does anyone know when its coming to all machines, I keep checking but no joy yet.
@holty2503 Once I've got my data drive back up and running (currently running a chkdsk), I'll get you a link to the upgrade assistant if I've still got it in my downloads folder. That does an in place upgrade rather than a full reinstall.

MS seemed to have pulled it off their ISO page and it's only got the options for ISO's now.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I thought you could do an in place upgrade by just downloading the media creation tool and then running it from Windows.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Lol, and you used to have to fiddle like hell to get the ISOs directly without the media creation tool.

I wonder if you can just extract the ISO and do it that way.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Lol, and you used to have to fiddle like hell to get the ISOs directly without the media creation tool.

I wonder if you can just extract the ISO and do it that way.
I'm not 100% sure if it's just that it somehow scans my OS and realises I'm already on the latest version so only offers me iso's.

I think you can do an in place upgrade from the ISO, just running it from within windows I think offers an upgrade.

I'd forgotten about that, it's been so long since I used an ISO, it's either media creation tool or PXE image loading.