Windows 21H1 is now available

slimbob

Enthusiast
Here's a worry.....

After clean installing 21H1 I had occasion to peruse the 'Turn Windows Features On or Off' section of the Control Panel Programs & Features component. Following my clean install Internet Explorer 11 was enabled and (even worse) SMB 1.0 File Sharing Support was also enabled.

If you upgraded to 21H1 in place (via Windows Update) then you need not worry, but if you clean installed 21H1 please visit the 'Turn Windows Features On or Off' section and disable both Internet Explorer 11 and SMB 1.0 (all of it).

Sorry to ask a stupid question. I don't use IE11 as my browser I use Chrome and Firefox. Out of interest I went to check if IE11 was enabled on my machine and it was so it has been enabled for quite a while as I never knew I should check or how to. So if you don't use IE11 as your browser then you should always make sure it is disabled not enabled especially after a windows feature update? Thanks a million.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Sorry to ask a stupid question. I don't use IE11 as my browser I use Chrome and Firefox. Out of interest I went to check if IE11 was enabled on my machine and it was so it has been enabled for quite a while as I never knew I should check or how to. So if you don't use IE11 as your browser then you should always make sure it is disabled not enabled especially after a windows feature update? Thanks a million.
Yes. It's receiving no updates and must now be considered a security risk. Some apps still try to open setup pages etc in IE so it needs disabling.

Make sure SMB 1.0 is disabled too, that's no longer needed and is a known attack vector.

slimbob

Enthusiast
Yes. It's receiving no updates and must now be considered a security risk. Some apps still try to open setup pages etc in IE so it needs disabling.

Make sure SMB 1.0 is disabled too, that's no longer needed and is a known attack vector.
Brilliant thanks a million for your help UBUYSA.
Bob :)

scarpa1

Enthusiast

So I looked and IE 11 was enabled and after I disabled it , did a restart like it said and afterwards all my desktop shortcuts for steam games disappeared (turned white, don't work)
Is that normal?

Desktop and Laptop both did it.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So I looked and IE 11 was enabled and after I disabled it , did a restart like it said and afterwards all my desktop shortcuts for steam games disappeared (turned white, don't work)
Is that normal?

Unless those shortcuts were using IE11 they should have been unaffected. That they are affected suggests they were using IE11.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Is that normal?

yeah seeing the same here

D

Deleted member 41971

yeah seeing the same here

does this help?

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
yep, basically right click, select open with, tick always open with then select internet browser

scarpa1

Enthusiast
No idea, I don't use Steam. Perhaps it requires IE11? It would be a disaster if it did.

Do they come back if you enable IE11?

Perhaps @SpyderTracks can help?
Don't know, I deleted them :LOL:

No big deal really as I can launch the games in steam, just a few extra clicks so no problem.

I've done the above steps as suggested by Martin and they are back on laptop, will sort desktop out later.