Windows 7 / 10 Advice Please, Thank you

slimbob

Enthusiast
Hi everyone.

I hope all is going well during this problematic time.

To be honest I just get by with P.C's and must admit I am a novice and very ignorant about them. With that said I have a quick question if anyone would be so kind enough to help me and give me some much needed advice it would be so massively appreciated.

Thank you very much indeed in advance if you help me.

Some quick background I bought my P.C from PCS about 6 1/2 years ago and it is still going strong but when it kicks the bucket I know where to come to get another, it has been absolutely fantastic!. Thank you PCS.

It came with Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (64 bit).

This forum gave me a lot of help choosing the spec and once it arrived in all its glory you also gave me some great advice on how to look after it. After a lot of really helpful feedback I decided to go with the below recommendations.

Microsoft Security Essentials - I run a full scan once a week.

Malwarebytes free version - I run a manual scan once a week.

CC Cleaner - Free version - I use daily.

This combined with a bit of common sense when browsing and keeping everything up to date as kept my P.C healthy and well for 8 years whilst being used daily. Thank you again for the advice.

Now my question.

I fully appreciate that Windows 7 is now unsupported and because I love it so much I have been looking around online and there are people saying as long as you have good antivirus and malware software in place and don't go to seedy sites you can keep using windows 7 for a few more years maybe indefinitely. They say that MSE is still supported to 2023 so after that I will would need to get new antivirus software.

So up to now I have just been doing what I always do previously mentioned above as I really love windows 7! Everything has been o.k. up to now.

What are your thoughts?

Am I safe?

If I am still using Windows 7 do I really need to get a better antivirus like Bitdefender, Kaspersky or Norton etc? Or is MSE adequate till 2023? If not which one do you recommend along with Malware software?

Or should I really say goodbye to my beloved Windows 7 and upgrade to Windows 10? I was told my motherboard will support windows 10 and my P.C can handle the upgrade.

Thank you in advance for any helpful advice.

Bob,

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
You REALLY want to upgrade to Windows 10. I wouldn't entertain Windows 7 any more, it's archaic.

I was a late adopter of Win10 too as I really loved Windows 7 but Win10 has now surpassed it in every single way and there can be no comparison. Most of the gremlins are weeded out and there are very few Win10 issues now.

If it's of interest to you, you can upgrade your Windows 7 installation to Windows 10 for free still.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
No, you're not safe.

The problem is that vulnerabilities found in Win7 will not get patched and although the tools you use are good they cannot protect you against a zero-day infection.

Those few who for whatever reason don't apply Windows 10 updates are in a similar position. Not being able to patch your operating system, or stupidly choosing not to, puts you at risk regardless of whatever antimalware tools you use.

slimbob

Enthusiast
You REALLY want to upgrade to Windows 10. I wouldn't entertain Windows 7 any more, it's archaic.

I was a late adopter of Win10 too as I really loved Windows 7 but Win10 has now surpassed it in every single way and there can be no comparison. Most of the gremlins are weeded out and there are very few Win10 issues now.

If it's of interest to you, you can upgrade your Windows 7 installation to Windows 10 for free still.

Thank you very much Scott for your help and advice, O.k. I take note and your advice and I will upgrade to Windows 10.

Yes I would be very interested if you would be kind enough to share how I can upgrade for free. Thanks so much Scott I really do appreciate it.

All the very best.

Bob.

slimbob

Enthusiast
No, you're not safe.

The problem is that vulnerabilities found in Win7 will not get patched and although the tools you use are good they cannot protect you against a zero-day infection.

Those few who for whatever reason don't apply Windows 10 updates are in a similar position. Not being able to patch your operating system, or stupidly choosing not to, puts you at risk regardless of whatever antimalware tools you use.

Thanks a million UBUYSA for your feedback, I really appreciate it and like mentioned above I will take your advice and upgrade to windows 10.

All the very best and thank you again.

Bob.

slimbob

Enthusiast
Hi Scott and UBUYSA,

I was told a while back that even though my P.C is 6 1/2 years old its spec / motherboard would handle Windows 10. I have attached a copy of my original build spec from PCS do you agree that I can safely upgrade to Windows 10?

I can't thank you both enough.

Bob.

Attachments

• P.C SPEC.jpg
    P.C SPEC.jpg
    785.7 KB · Views: 184

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Hi Scott and UBUYSA,

I was told a while back that even though my P.C is 6 1/2 years old its spec / motherboard would handle Windows 10. I have attached a copy of my original build spec from PCS do you agree that I can safely upgrade to Windows 10?

I can't thank you both enough.

Bob.

I can't see anything in there that would present any issues. When you run the installer etc, it will check your system over anyway.

I would highly recommend backing everything you need up before carrying out this upgrade. There is the potential of losing your documents etc should anything happen during the upgrade.

Once you have completed the upgrade, I would personally then download a clean Windows 10 image and do the install AGAIN, wiping the entire system in the process. That way you will be starting with a completely clean slate and no upgrade gremlins in place.

slimbob

Enthusiast
I can't see anything in there that would present any issues. When you run the installer etc, it will check your system over anyway.

I would highly recommend backing everything you need up before carrying out this upgrade. There is the potential of losing your documents etc should anything happen during the upgrade.

Once you have completed the upgrade, I would personally then download a clean Windows 10 image and do the install AGAIN, wiping the entire system in the process. That way you will be starting with a completely clean slate and no upgrade gremlins in place.

Scott thank you very much for that link!

It's very reassuring to know my P.C should handle windows 10, great, thank you for taking a look for me.

I will make sure everything is backed up as you suggest..

Scott please excuse my ignorance. I understand about running the installer but what is a clean windows 10 image and where do I download it from? Is it all explained in that link with sublinks you already kindly provided? I am a bit slow to be honest Scott but if I have something to read it will very much help me, do you have any more links or is all I need to know in that original link you posted? If so I will make a brew and get busy reading.

Thank you so much Scott, you are so helpful!

Bob

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Once you have backed everything up and completed the upgrade as per the link instructions.... you would then register with Microsoft if you haven't already. This will be part of the upgrade process anyway so you should have a Microsoft account by the end of it. What this does is it links the license of your Windows 10 with your account. This allows you to freely wipe and install Windows on your system without the need of a key, you can simply log in and it will activate your copy.

Once you are at the stage where you have Windows 10 on your system, you have an account made and the license is linked to your account. You now want to start again from scratch (clean install).

To do this you need an 8GB USB drive (Minimum) and you download the Microsoft Windows Creation tool from the following link..

When you run the tool above, it will ask you to create an installation. You select USB and then point it to your 8GB USB drive.

This will create an image of windows for you to install.

Once complete, you want to reboot your PC and boot from the USB drive. This can often mean you need to change the settings in the BIOS or sometimes pressing F8 during the boot process allows you to check the USB option (you'll need to come back to this if you are struggling).

When installing you want to ensure you select a clean install and delete all the partitions on your MAIN HDD only. If you have backed up on a separate drive you do not want to wipe this too, so care is needed at this point. (Again, you may need to come back to this).

From there, you just select your drive and continue the installation.

Once complete, you will have a fresh copy of Win10 on your system ready to install whichever software you wish to use. The system will be as secure and slimline as it could ever be, running at optimum.

Feel free to get the first part over with then come back as and when for pointers on the rest. When performing the install, it would be adviseable to have alternative access to the forum for help/tips. Either another PC/Laptop or phone access as a minimum. The last thing you want is to have no access to help mid-format.

slimbob

Enthusiast
Once you have backed everything up and completed the upgrade as per the link instructions.... you would then register with Microsoft if you haven't already. This will be part of the upgrade process anyway so you should have a Microsoft account by the end of it. What this does is it links the license of your Windows 10 with your account. This allows you to freely wipe and install Windows on your system without the need of a key, you can simply log in and it will activate your copy.

Once you are at the stage where you have Windows 10 on your system, you have an account made and the license is linked to your account. You now want to start again from scratch (clean install).

To do this you need an 8GB USB drive (Minimum) and you download the Microsoft Windows Creation tool from the following link..

When you run the tool above, it will ask you to create an installation. You select USB and then point it to your 8GB USB drive.

This will create an image of windows for you to install.

Once complete, you want to reboot your PC and boot from the USB drive. This can often mean you need to change the settings in the BIOS or sometimes pressing F8 during the boot process allows you to check the USB option (you'll need to come back to this if you are struggling).

When installing you want to ensure you select a clean install and delete all the partitions on your MAIN HDD only. If you have backed up on a separate drive you do not want to wipe this too, so care is needed at this point. (Again, you may need to come back to this).

From there, you just select your drive and continue the installation.

Once complete, you will have a fresh copy of Win10 on your system ready to install whichever software you wish to use. The system will be as secure and slimline as it could ever be, running at optimum.

Feel free to get the first part over with then come back as and when for pointers on the rest. When performing the install, it would be adviseable to have alternative access to the forum for help/tips. Either another PC/Laptop or phone access as a minimum. The last thing you want is to have no access to help mid-format.

Wow! Thank you Scott once again! Incredible!

I have a lot of reading to do and have copied and pasted all your replies and links for safe keeping. I am definitely going to do this, I should of done it sooner I know.

Unfortunately I don't have a another way to access the internet if my P.C has a hiccup so to speak mid procedure and due to the social distancing rules taking it to my local P.C repair shop or having someone come around to help me in house is not possible at present. The only thing I can think of is to phone up the customer support at PCS to see if they could help me if needed over the phone or via remote access if things go bad. Is that a possibility do you think Scott or would I not be allowed?

I am going to read everything you have kindly given me multiple times thoroughly to digest it as best I can so I feel confident before I tackle this and only do it if I have a back up plan in place as losing my P.C now would be really bad, but it serves me right for waiting to do this doesn't it. What a dummy!

I will let you know how I get on. I am tempted to wait till the lock down and social distancing rules are removed so I can get help but I appreciate it could be months. Meanwhile I am gointg to get busy reading!!

I can't thank you enough for all your help Scott you are an absolute star!

I hope you and your loved ones stay healthy and well throughout this problematic time.

All the very best.

Bob.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I'm sure they would be more than happy to help over the phone. Remote access is only possible once the installation has been complete though, and would be more to help with drivers and software installation.

The key to this all is preparation. You seem to have your head screwed on the right way for that any way so I'm sure you will be fine. The key thing to remember is you can't permanently break anything. With this entire process, everything can be put right........ other than your files if you don't back them up, so this is the key to success. Make sure you have EVERYTHING you want backed up, externally if you can to save any mishaps during the formatting.

The key steps are...

Backup, backup, backup. Quadruple check backup. When it's gone... it's gone.
Upgrade Windows & register to your Account (which you may need to create)
Download the M$ installer tool and create an image on a USB drive
Try and find the drivers for your Wifi/Internet card/dongle and have them on the above USB pen as well, for once windows is installed.
Ensure you can boot to the USB drive (just as a trial run, quit the install at the first step)
Find a tutorial for a windows installation on youtube, study it.... take notes if need be.
When ready.... go for it!

slimbob

Enthusiast
I'm sure they would be more than happy to help over the phone. Remote access is only possible once the installation has been complete though, and would be more to help with drivers and software installation.

The key to this all is preparation. You seem to have your head screwed on the right way for that any way so I'm sure you will be fine. The key thing to remember is you can't permanently break anything. With this entire process, everything can be put right........ other than your files if you don't back them up, so this is the key to success. Make sure you have EVERYTHING you want backed up, externally if you can to save any mishaps during the formatting.

The key steps are...

Backup, backup, backup. Quadruple check backup. When it's gone... it's gone.
Upgrade Windows & register to your Account (which you may need to create)
Download the M$ installer tool and create an image on a USB drive
Try and find the drivers for your Wifi/Internet card/dongle and have them on the above USB pen as well, for once windows is installed.
Ensure you can boot to the USB drive (just as a trial run, quit the install at the first step)
Find a tutorial for a windows installation on youtube, study it.... take notes if need be.
When ready.... go for it!

Hi Scott,

Thank you so much again for your reply.

It is great to know PCS are there for back up over the phone if needs be once the installation is complete.

Thank you for saying I have my head screwed on, some times I think it is misthreaded (lol)!!

Yes I must remember I can't break anything and my back ups are already in place on two separate portable hard drives.

Thank you for your key steps and I will also look for a you tube tutorial and study it as you wisely suggest. Like you say preparation is the key.

And then like you encouragingly say when ready .... GO FOR IT !!!!!

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks a million for all your replies and priceless help and advice Scott you are wonderful Moderator!

All my very best wishes.

Take care.
Bob.

Thank you.jpg

slimbob

Enthusiast
Hi Scott,

Hope you had a good weekend. Just a quick update and please may I ask a question if that’s o.k.
I have read through your links numerous times and taken notes.
I have ordered my SanDisk 16gig USB 3.0 flash drive as I don’t have one.
I have checked all my back ups.

I have looked around on You Tube for a helpful “Clean install Windows 10 from USB” the most helpful up to now is:

It was also quite recently uploaded (4 months) great! Like you said I have been re watching it and taking notes as I only have one way to access the internet when I do all this. I will have this tutorial on DVD so I can watch it on my T.V in case I get a bit stuck along with printed out notes so I am not relying on my P.C / internet.

In the above you tube video the gentleman says 7 min 28 seconds in that you have to select boot device here is a screenshot of his P.C.

Select Boot Device .jpg

He went with the UEFI option instead of USB as he said it is newer.

In you previous message you said:

“Once complete, you want to reboot your PC and boot from the USB drive. This can often mean you need to change the settings in the BIOS or sometimes pressing F8 during the boot process allows you to check the USB option (you'll need to come back to this if you are struggling).”

Not sure if I should choose UEFI OR USB boot device? I have been having a look around trying to understand better, here is some info I found in my ASUS Z87-K Motherboard User Guide .

On the screen shots of the boot menu it’s heading is ASUS UEFI BIOS UTILITY – ADVANCED MODE .
In the Z87-K Spec summary under Bios features it says: 64Mb Flash ROM, UEFI AMI BIOS.

Under Boot Device Control in my manual I have 3 choices:

UEFI and legacy OpROM – This is highlighted in the manual
Legacy OpROM Only
UEFI Only

Under Boot from Storage Device in my manual I have 5 choices:

Both, Legacy OpROM First
Both, UEFI First
Legacy OpROM First - This is highlighted in the manual
UEFI Driver First
Ignore

It’s way over my head to be honest Scott.

I am just trying to understand which type of boot device I should select. I appreciate my P.C is quite old now (6.5 years).
Please could you tell me which kind of boot device I should select?

By the way according to my manual it says boot menu is (F8) and is only available when the boot device is installed to the system. Which is what you said J. So I imagine I would put in my USB then turn on my P.C and tap (F8) till my boot menu pops up.

Thanks a million Scott!!

Best wishes.

Bob.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It will flash up usually labelled by manufacturer in the boot options.

You won't see it until it's plugged in though. The above is unnecessarily complicated. Have a look at the boot priority before plugging in the usb and after and you'll see how clear it is.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
As above, UEFI is just the type of boot-loader. I don't even think any of my systems come up with both options when selecting the boot device.

If you hit F8 during boot up you should be presented with 1-time boot options. If you check this out now.... then check it when you plug in the USB (into a 2.0 slot if you can) this should be pretty aparent.

slimbob

Enthusiast
Thank you very much SPYDERTRACKS and SCOTT for your help it’s great to know it is not as complicated as thought.

I just did the tap (F8) thing when my P.C turned on and there was a 1-time boot options pop up just like you said. I also went into setup to have a look around as I have never been in here before. I don’t understand it all but it is very impressive isn’t it. Anyway I carefully made sure not to do anything and came out safely.

I will wait till my USB arrives and then do it again to see before I put windows on the USB as a test like you say. Then I will put Windows 10 on it as per your instructions and try again.

The great thing is I can come out safely without booting and have a kind of test run so to speak before I commit to going through the whole installation process.

Thanks so much again and I hope both your weeks have started off very well.

I wil keep you updated on my journey from Windows 7 to windows 10 :)

Keep healthy.

Bob

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You'll do no damage by booting the 'wrong' device. It either won't boot at all, boot your existing Windows 7 system, or boot the installation USB. When you get the boot menu up if there is an option to boot partition 1 of your USB stick then choose that, if not just choose the option with your USB stick. [emoji846]

slimbob

Enthusiast
You'll do no damage by booting the 'wrong' device. It either won't boot at all, boot your existing Windows 7 system, or boot the installation USB. When you get the boot menu up if there is an option to boot partition 1 of your USB stick then choose that, if not just choose the option with your USB stick. [emoji846]

Fantastic UBUYSA! Phew! Very helpful thank you. I have saved your message along with all the others so I can print them out for reference. Unfortunately during the installation process I won't have internet access as I don’t have another computer and I can’t get online with my old Nokia 1100. Once my USB stick arrives I can take my next step, its great to know I am not alone doing this.

Thanks so much.

Bob.