Windows 7 to 10 on 6 year old PC

Dicky-Art

Hi there
Will it be OK to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 on a 6yr old pc (as signature below). Just upgraded the SSD and HDDs last year.
Microsoft are pushing towards a new PC.
TIA.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi there
Will it be OK to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 on a 6yr old pc (as signature below). Just upgraded the SSD and HDDs last year.
Microsoft are pushing towards a new PC.
TIA.
Why do you say microsoft are pushing to a new PC? Did you run the compatibility wizard?

It will be fine with Windows 10 and the upgrade can still be gotten for free legitimately if you search around a bit.

Dicky-Art

When I boot up now I get MS Windows add/info statement about Win 7 not being supported after Jan 2020. Whe you go to their "for more info.." it says better to install on new PC...

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
My PC is from 2012 and is fine with Win 10. Pretty similar spec to yours actually.

Our PCS laptop from 2012 was also fine with it.

I recently put it on a DIY build from ~2007, and it's fine on that too. The company that made the motherboard (Abit) doesn't even exist any more, but drivers aren't an issue.

So I suspect you'll be fine.

You can / should take an image of your system before moving to Windows 10. e.g. with Macrium Reflect.

Then, do a clean install of Windows 10. See how it goes.

Note that you are usually able to activate Windows 10 with your existing product key - apparently a change Microsoft made deliberately after the supposedly time-limited free upgrade period ended.

So you shouldn't need to shell out for a new licence key.