Windows 7 to Windows 10 error 0xc000000f

Pagey

Bright Spark
I'm beginning to think it's more to do with the GeForce Optimus switching GPU's. The sticking is more prominent when the indicator is switching between GPU's. Which kinda explains why when I'm using software that uses the GTX660M the sticking pretty much stops.

Jay_P

Ok guys, an update. Fresh installed 8.1 via UEFI boot and let windows update do its thing. Upgraded to 10 via iso with NO issues. Activated fine, clean installed 10 via legacy BIOS rather than UEFI and everything is working well!

I haven't really noticed major mouse lag, the only times I have clocked some sort of lag it always seems to be simultaneous with the HDD indicator being continuously on for 1-2 seconds.

thisisevilevil

Enthusiast
I'm beginning to think it's more to do with the GeForce Optimus switching GPU's. The sticking is more prominent when the indicator is switching between GPU's. Which kinda explains why when I'm using software that uses the GTX660M the sticking pretty much stops.

That can be very likely. If you google NVIDIA Optimus + Windows 10, you can see a lot of people having issues with it during the Windows 10 Preview. Is it possible to change the Optimus IV's to only use the NVIDIA GPU, completely disabling the Intel GPU? I know it's possible on Lenovo laptops.

EDIT: Also not to mention that Clevo hotkey has not been specifically developed for Windows 10 yet. That software is just a nightmare. Otherwise, have you tried installing the latest Intel GPU driver? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...hics-Driver-for-Windows-10-64bit-3rd-Gen-BYT-

Last edited:

thisisevilevil

Enthusiast
Ok guys, an update. Fresh installed 8.1 via UEFI boot and let windows update do its thing. Upgraded to 10 via iso with NO issues. Activated fine, clean installed 10 via legacy BIOS rather than UEFI and everything is working well!

I haven't really noticed major mouse lag, the only times I have clocked some sort of lag it always seems to be simultaneous with the HDD indicator being continuously on for 1-2 seconds.

Nice! Good work, hanging on till the very end, hehe. It helps being stubborn in cases like these :)

thisisevilevil

Enthusiast
For the record: If you are stuck updating to Windows 10 and it throws error code 0xc000000f on your Optimus IV, you have to enable UEFI Boot. When changing from legacy BIOS to UEFI you have to reinstall OS, but at least you should be able to upgrade afterwards.

thisisevilevil

Enthusiast
I installed the Intel drivers and removed the hotkey drivers and it still sticks. :(

Damn, if it's not the touchpad drivers or the hotkey, there must be something else going on, on the driver side? I'm comparing your DxDiags right now, there is a few discrepancies you can try and insvestigate futher. Here is Jay_P's DxDiag where the mouse freeze issue doesn't occur: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tbuecp1c4hujnya/DxDiag.txt?dl=0

His Intel driver is from yesterday? That hasn't even been released on the intel website as of yet.

Driver Name: igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igdumdim32,igd10iumd32,igd10iumd32
Driver File Version: 10.18.0010.4252 (English)
Driver Version: 10.18.10.4252
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 8/10/2015 19:51:03, 11053040 bytes

EDIT: Nah, nvm. It's just the intel's website date that doesn't match the driver date on the actual driver it seems. The versions are the same.

Driver dates on Jay_P's DxDiag seems to be newer than yours, even though the driver version is the same. Other thing I've found notable is this:
Jay_P's:
---------------
EVR Power Information
---------------
Current Setting: {5C67A112-A4C9-483F-B4A7-1D473BECAFDC} (Quality)

Pagey's:
---------------
EVR Power Information
---------------
Current Setting: {651288E5-A7ED-4076-A96B-6CC62D848FE1} (Balanced)

Last edited:

LK IT

Even after an upgrade it assigns a generic key.

When you upgrade to Windows 10 from an activated, genuine OS (Windows 7, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8, Windows 8.1) Microsoft registers a Windows 10 entitlement at the point when the Windows 10 machine activates.

Windows 10 activation\entitlement is tied to the computer hardware ID (which is mostly based on the motherboard fixed components), the activation is stored on the internet. This is why Microsoft are limiting the free windows 10 upgrade to the supported lifetime of the device.

It is also how you can then wipe that device and perform a clean windows 10 installation without having to activate anything, it checks the activation\entitlement status with the licensing server when the device connects to the internet.

Pagey

Bright Spark
Heh, yeah, I found all that out yesterday, now I can shut up about it.

So once you essentially do your upgrade process, the key is no longer needed.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That can be very likely. If you google NVIDIA Optimus + Windows 10, you can see a lot of people having issues with it during the Windows 10 Preview. Is it possible to change the Optimus IV's to only use the NVIDIA GPU, completely disabling the Intel GPU? I know it's possible on Lenovo laptops.

EDIT: Also not to mention that Clevo hotkey has not been specifically developed for Windows 10 yet. That software is just a nightmare. Otherwise, have you tried installing the latest Intel GPU driver? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...hics-Driver-for-Windows-10-64bit-3rd-Gen-BYT-

This post encouraged me to have another experiment. I am now absolutely convinced it's a graphics driver (or Hotkey) issue, and here's why:

I installed Windows 10 from a DVD clean install (not upgrade) but did not connect to the Internet. I then messed about for a bit without installing any drivers. I spent some time installing third-party software etc. and had no mouse freeze issues at all. Both the Intel HD 4000 and the NVIDIA GTX-660M were using the basic Microsoft drivers that come with the install at that stage.

I then installed the Intel HD 4000 graphics driver that I had previously downloaded from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...hics-Driver-for-Windows-10-64bit-3rd-Gen-BYT- and then installed the previously downloaded NVIDIA driver (353.62-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe). I almost immediately got the mouse freeze and this time I was able to match it to a graphics driver switch. As the green and orange lights switch back and forth I get a mouse freeze issue, and the mouse freezes are always accompanied by a switch of GPU (the lights swap).

I ran Windows update and it installed all the Windows updates but failed to install the ELAN touchpad driver, the Intel MEI driver, the Realtek card reader driver, and the Realtek Audio driver, all failed with error code 0x80248007. No Intel HD 4000 nor NVIDIA GTX-660M drivers were selected by WIndows update. That said, the ELAN touchpad driver date is 01/07/2015 and it works normally, the additional ELAN tab in the Control Panel mouse options is there and it works. Sound also works normally, the Realktek driver date is 16/06/2015. So it looks like those drivers were installed, despite what Windows Update thinks (I do so hate driver installs from Windows Update).

I tried setting the NVIDIA dGPU as the default in the NVIDIA control panel but there are tons of Windows apps that can only use the Intel iGPU. I check for an updated NVIDIA driver ad there was one (355.60) so I downloaded and clean installed that. It made no difference, I still got the occasional mouse freeze (accompanied by a GPU light swap).

So I disabled the NVIDIA GPU, I don't game so I don't really need it, and got no mouse freezes at all. That's how I'm running Windows 10 at the moment, it won't suit the gamers but it suits me. :)

This is either a graphics driver problem or a Clevo Hotkey problem, I don't have a Hotkey driver installed at all and it gets it's tentacles in all sorts of places. My bet is that it's Hotkey, I really don't think it's hardware now.....

Last edited:

thisisevilevil

Enthusiast
Wouldn't be surprised if this was a hotkey issue.. It has always been a dodgy piece of software. If you do a google search for 660M NVIDIA Optimus Windows 10, there's almost no results, so it doesn't seem like other people had any issues with the Optimus system itself. Hotkey is required to switch between Intel GPU and the NVIDIA GPU, right? I know some vendors, like Lenovo, has added support to switch between GPUs in BIOS and the way it presents itself to the OS: BIOS.jpg

Also, did you try and do your install, while UEFI is enabled? It seemed to solved Jay_P's issues.

EDIT: Good work, btw :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Wouldn't be surprised if this was a hotkey issue.. It has always been a dodgy piece of software. If you do a google search for 660M NVIDIA Optimus Windows 10, there's almost no results, so it doesn't seem like other people had any issues with the Optimus system itself. Hotkey is required to switch between Intel GPU and the NVIDIA GPU, right? I know some vendors, like Lenovo, has added support to switch between GPUs in BIOS and the way it presents itself to the OS: View attachment 7000

Also, did you try and do your install, while UEFI is enabled? It seemed to solved Jay_P's issues.

EDIT: Good work, btw :)

No, didn't try UEFI. I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible! I can't explain why it works for Jay_P, perhaps our different CPUs, SSDs/HDDs, installed RAM (RAM type) make a subtle difference?

I'm absolutely convinced it's a driver issue, almost certainly Hotkey. This laptop has run Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 without issue so I know it's not hardware.

thisisevilevil

Enthusiast
No, didn't try UEFI. I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible! I can't explain why it works for Jay_P, perhaps our different CPUs, SSDs/HDDs, installed RAM (RAM type) make a subtle difference?

I'm absolutely convinced it's a driver issue, almost certainly Hotkey. This laptop has run Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 without issue so I know it's not hardware.

It seems your hardware is almost identical:
Ubuysa:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 8/10/2015, 10:49:47
Machine name: SHADOWFAX
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (10240.th1.150709-1700)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: CLEVO CO.
System Model: W35_37ET
BIOS: BIOS Date: 11/02/12 11:11:20 Ver: 04.06.05
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 12288MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 12178MB RAM
Page File: 1437MB used, 13173MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: 11.2

------------------------
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
Drive: C:
Free Space: 79.9 GB
Total Space: 114.0 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: INTEL SSDSC2CW120A3

Drive: D:
Free Space: 302.4 GB
Total Space: 715.4 GB
Model: WDC WD7500BPKT-80PK4T0

Drive: E:
Model: hp CDDVDW SN-208BB
Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 10.00.10240.16384 (English), 7/10/2015 13:59:39, 174080 bytes

Jay_P
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 8/10/2015, 20:05:49
Machine name: JAY-LAPTOP
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (10240.th1.150729-1800)
BIOS: BIOS Date: 03/25/13 17:12:13 Ver: 04.06.05
Available OS Memory: 12180MB RAM
Page File: 1530MB used, 13082MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: 12

------------------------
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
Free Space: 66.0 GB
Total Space: 85.5 GB
Model: KINGSTON SH103S390G

Model: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SN-208DB
Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 10.00.10240.16384 (English), 7/10/2015 11:59:39, 174080 bytes

Pagey

Bright Spark
I've run my system with and without the hotkey drivers, still the same thing...

I just think optimus isn't implemented very well for this laptop.

finaldj

I have the optimus iv 17.3" a year old now has the 860m. I didn't have any problems with installing windows 10 I just did the win 8.1 - 10 upgrade then did a fresh install and it activates on install no need to enter any product keys.

Biggest issue I have is the sound blaster cinema it doesn't work with windows 10 and I have googled all the work arounds and I still can't get it going so have to suffer with VIA audio instead or revert back to win 8.1. there are a few posts that SB cinema is no longer supported for win 10

So a little piffed off that my laptop is only a year old and I can't use the sound card that it came with

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It seems your hardware is almost identical:
Ubuysa:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 8/10/2015, 10:49:47
Machine name: SHADOWFAX
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (10240.th1.150709-1700)
BIOS: BIOS Date: 11/02/12 11:11:20 Ver: 04.06.05
Available OS Memory: 12178MB RAM
Page File: 1437MB used, 13173MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: 11.2

------------------------
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
Free Space: 79.9 GB
Total Space: 114.0 GB
Model: INTEL SSDSC2CW120A3

Free Space: 302.4 GB
Total Space: 715.4 GB
Model: WDC WD7500BPKT-80PK4T0

Drive: E:
Model: hp CDDVDW SN-208BB
Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 10.00.10240.16384 (English), 7/10/2015 13:59:39, 174080 bytes

Jay_P
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 8/10/2015, 20:05:49
Machine name: JAY-LAPTOP
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (10240.th1.150729-1800)
BIOS: BIOS Date: 03/25/13 17:12:13 Ver: 04.06.05
Available OS Memory: 12180MB RAM
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: 12

------------------------
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
Free Space: 66.0 GB
Total Space: 85.5 GB
Model: KINGSTON SH103S390G

Model: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SN-208DB
Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 10.00.10240.16384 (English), 7/10/2015 11:59:39, 174080 bytes

Yep, curious isn't it? I can't explain why Jay_P's works and mine doesn't. It would be nice to have them side-by-side. Fancy a holiday on Crete Jay? ;)

As an experiment (and because I'm a curious soul) I did a UEFI install of Windows 10 yesterday morning (I can only work in the mornings here, it's much too hot in the daytime!) but the result was the same, occasional mouse freezes accompanied (as far as I can tell) by GPU switches. And that's with the latest graphics drivers installed too.

As another experiment I did an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 on my Windows 8.1 system this morning (just now in fact) and told the upgrader to keep everything. So I now have Windows 10 with the Windows 8.1 hotkey and powewrbiosserver running and that makes no difference either, I still get occasional mouse freezes accompanied (as far as I can tell) by GPU switches. And that's with the latest graphics drivers installed too.

Only disabling the GTX660M stops the mouse freezes.

Interestingly, immediately after the upgrade both GPUs were using the basic Windows driver and there were no mouse freezing issues (that's because I believe the NVIDIA GPU wasn't actually working with that driver). So an unwary user who upgraded in place (on an Optimus IV) would not see the mouse freezing issue - but then neither would their GPUs be working properly. Windows Update should of course fix that by installing the correct drivers but (on my Optimus IV at least) these driver installs always fail and they are then never selected again.

BTW. That is another concern. Driver updates via Windows Update that are marked as failed (both at the time and in the update history) MUST always be selected again. This suggests that the installs were partially successful at least so they were marked as failed at the time but were good enough to stop Windows update selecting them again.

As far as the occasional mouse freezing issue (and apparent GPU switch) is concerned I am 99.999% convinced now that the issue is with Hotkey. The Windows 8 Hotkey driver appears not to work properly with Windows 10 and is equivalent to having no Hotkey driver installed at all. Hopefully Clevo will remedy this in time.