Windows 7 to Windows 10 error 0xc000000f

Asianiza

I have tried to upgrade from win7 to win10 after copying the files and the system restarts, I will get the error 0xc000000f. I have both win7 and win10 disks and the automatic repair would not work.

Apparently this has to to with some bios settings, I have tried to follow the guide but I do not have all the options to described in the guide below.

http://www.smartpctricks.com/2013/0...evice-isnt-connected-or-cant-be-accessed.html

Specs:
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3630QM (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - Hard Disk 120GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)
2nd Hard Disk 1TB WD SCORPIO BLUE WD10JPVT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 8MB CACHE (5400 rpm)

Pagey

Bright Spark
I can safely assume you have an Optimus IV.

I have installed W10 flawlessly on my Optimus IV with nary an issue, (well certainly nothing as breaking as yours). And certainly haven't done anything with my BIOS.

So how did you go about installing W10, just out of curiosity?

Asianiza

I have tried upgrading using windows update and a bootable usb stick - both do not work. I am able to do a clean install of windows 10 but then I have got the problem with the activation key.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
If the issue is related to your BIOS, you should be able to reset the BIOS to its default settings. Then you can hopefully upgrade and change them once you have Windows 10 installed. Not ideal really but might be the best option.

Pagey

Bright Spark
The activation key thing is a little bit strange, even on an in place upgrade it's assigning a generic key to it, no idea why. Certainly not BIOS related.

Asianiza

I have been with microsoft for 4 days now and they have tried remotely installing it for me. They do not know whats going on so they are going to do it again tomorrow, referred me to a level 2 technician. Hope it will work, apparently it got something to do with corrupt BCD - I have tried to rebuilt it but it still does not work.

The technician asked me whether I want a win 10 key but was going to charge me 100 pounds.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I must admit I've had a lot of different troubles trying to upgrade to Windows 10 myself. All sorts of issues.

Asianiza

You mean the windows 7 keys. They do not work on win10, i have asked the advisor why he wouldnt give me a key - his answer was he cant and it doesnt make sense to him too.

Pagey

Bright Spark
Windows 10 generic keys...

I would imagine I'm not allowed to post them here, so I'll just let you google them.

dogbot

Bright Spark
I have tried upgrading using windows update and a bootable usb stick - both do not work. I am able to do a clean install of windows 10 but then I have got the problem with the activation key.

Do not enter an activation key. Skip that step every time when upgrading the previous OS.

Only after you have upgraded and W10 is shown to be activated can you do a clean install.

heza121

Silver Level Poster
I've been having the same problem. I too have a Optimus IV!
Full Spec:
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3630QM (2.40GHz) 6MB
12GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (3 x 4GB)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
120GB INTEL® 330 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 500MB/sR | 450MB/sW)
1TB WD SCORPIO BLUE WD10JPVT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 8MB CACHE (5400 rpm)

Been having a look around, and there seems to be a lot of people with Clevo's having similar, if not identical issues.

thisisevilevil

Enthusiast
My install has been flawless and I have an Optimus IV too.

Can you post your Dxdiag? I've noticed a few people in here complaining about upgrading from Win7/Win8 -> Win10 going wrong with Optimus IV. Ubuysa did a clean install on his Optimus IV but it sounded like he faced a few issues that caused him to downgrade to Win8 again. I'm all for the "The user is probably doing something wrong"-Approach, but when there's so many complaining, there must be something else going on.

I haven't had a chance to get to the bottom of it, I would need some logs for that. To begin with, as previously mentioned, a DxDiag from a working Optimus IV system from a Win10 system, a DxDiag from a non-working Optimus IV (One from Win7/Win8 and Win10 if possible).

Besides the DxDiag, I would also like to know the following details, from people whom are trying to do the upgrade, where it fails:
*OS Running?:
*What is your SATA Controller mode set to(Legacy, AHCI, RAID)?:
*Is your "Boot" in BIOS configured to "Windows 8" or "Others"?:
*Have you tried doing a clean install of your OS (Win7/Win8), then doing the upgrade?:
*Have you tried clean-installing win10 on an evaluation license, to see if it works?:
->If yes: Result?

SATA Controller mode as seen in BIOS: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46469811/SATAMode.jpg
Boot as seen in BIOS: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46469811/Boot.jpg

EDIT: The above screenshots just shows how my system is configured, do not change those values! Doing so will cause a non-booting OS.

Last edited:

Pagey

Bright Spark
Ok, some stuff to hopefully help you out, remember this is from a working W10 install.

Granted the first time I tried to install W10 I had a crapton of problems, mainly pertaining from the fact it kept adding more and more partitions to my SSD. Naturally I didn't enjoy that so I removed all of them apart from my main partition and the 300MB partition for whatever-it-is. After that the install went pretty much swimmingly.

Though I do need people to do a small test for me:

I need someone to do an "in place" install of W10 over W8.1 using the Microsoft Installer thingy, once W10 has installed from this I need them to use a programme called "speccy" to find the activated serial key, I don't need the full key, just the last 4 chars if possible. I'm trying to determine what's going on with the bloody W10 keys. Actually, what they can do is verify the activated key against their W8.1 key. If it doesn't match, they could google the activated key to see what it says.

Now by doing the upgrade that way, the keys should not change from the W8.1 one. But if they do, and to the generic ones, I'd love to know why.

Oops, to add:

Initially did an in place install over a fresh W8.1 install, everything went mad. Tried fresh install of W10, wouldn't accept W8.1 key, lost it by them. Re installed W8.1 again and did an in place install then noticed the keys didn't match, then had a brainwave of noting the key from the in place install and used that key to install W10 fresh, and bobs yer uncle it activated.

Attachments

• 20150809_205557.jpg
    20150809_205557.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 217
  • 20150809_205540.jpg
    20150809_205540.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 168
  • DxDiag.zip
    14.8 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Can you post your Dxdiag? I've noticed a few people in here complaining about upgrading from Win7/Win8 -> Win10 going wrong with Optimus IV. Ubuysa did a clean install on his Optimus IV but it sounded like he faced a few issues that caused him to downgrade to Win8 again. I'm all for the "The user is probably doing something wrong"-Approach, but when there's so many complaining, there must be something else going on.

I haven't had a chance to get to the bottom of it, I would need some logs for that. To begin with, as previously mentioned, a DxDiag from a working Optimus IV system from a Win10 system, a DxDiag from a non-working Optimus IV (One from Win7/Win8 and Win10 if possible).

Besides the DxDiag, I would also like to know the following details, from people whom are trying to do the upgrade, where it fails:
*OS Running?:
*What is your SATA Controller mode set to(Legacy, AHCI, RAID)?:
*Is your "Boot" in BIOS configured to "Windows 8" or "Others"?:
*Have you tried doing a clean install of your OS (Win7/Win8), then doing the upgrade?:
*Have you tried clean-installing win10 on an evaluation license, to see if it works?:
->If yes: Result?

SATA Controller mode as seen in BIOS: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46469811/SATAMode.jpg
Boot as seen in BIOS: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46469811/Boot.jpg

EDIT: The above screenshots just shows how my system is configured, do not change those values! Doing so will cause a non-booting OS.

My DXDiag, from a Windows 10 upgrade on top of a clean WIndows 8.1 and all drivers (and activated) installation is at https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7b9dl80adgvkzu/DxDiag_OptimusIV_ubuysa_Windows10_upgrade8.1.txt?dl=0 (it's too big to post here).

OS running?: Windows 10 Pro (Build 10240)
SATA mode?: AHCI
Boot option?: Others
Clean install of Win 8.1 then upgrade?: Yes, no change. The occasional mouse freezing is still there.
Clean install of Windows 10 from DVD?: Yes, no change. The mouse freezing issue is still there.

The card reader is working, this was my error. Even with Hide Empty Drives unchecked the card reader only shows up when there is a card in it. Sorry. :eek:

I have two issues with Windows 10 on my Optimus IV:

1. The mouse pointer occasionally freezes (so does almost everything else) when the "system" is busy. SO for example, closing a window that required some system activity will freeze the mouse pointer for a second or two. This is a critical issue for me and it's why I'e gone back to Windows 8.1.

2. Driver updates found by Windows Update fail to install (all of them). They are marked as failed in the Update History but when you run an update check again no updates are found. This is worrying and doesn't inspire confidence, it aided my decision to fall back to 8.1. I can get the driver updates to install by rolling back each driver individually and then running Windows Update again. It finds each driver and after a reboot it shows as installed.

It seems to me that for my platform at least there are serious driver issues. Hopefully they will be resolved in time but I accept that they might never be, Such is life. :)