Windows 7 user name annoyance!

Flucky

Hello good folks of the PCS forum.

When I first bought my laptop, I decided to use the Computer Name HAL-9000, because I thought it was funny.
I then decided to use the User Name Dave, because I thought it was funny.
It is now, not funny.

Turns out that having a user name that isn't your own name is just annoying, so I went into control panel and changed the User Name to James. I thought that was the end of it. However, now I'm presented with a stand off between the two names, Dave doesn't want to die (much like HAL in the film). It even created itself a new User Account on the log-in page, but the two look identical when I log on. Just to confirm, I have only ever created one User Account, which was when I first set up the laptop. I have provided you with a picture to show just what I mean.

EDIT: I only see the log in page when I "FLAG+L" or log off. When I turn on the computer it puts me straight through to James.

usernameconfusion.jpg

Gorman

Author Level
[video=youtube;7qnd-hdmgfk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qnd-hdmgfk[/video]

Your problem is the fingerprint scanner software, not the windows account. Check its settings.

The paths such as c:\users\Dave etc will not change unless you delete the original account and make another.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
It would have been better if your name was rodney

"trigger my names rodney not dave"
"ok then dave"

Gotta love only fools and horses

Flucky

Thanks for the replies you stars you.

[video=youtube;7qnd-hdmgfk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qnd-hdmgfk[/video]

Your problem is the fingerprint scanner software, not the windows account. Check its settings.

The paths such as c:\users\Dave etc will not change unless you delete the original account and make another.

I completely removed the software (deleted drivers and through add and remove programs) now it literally just has "James" and "Fingerprint" as User Accounts in the log in screen. So it's as if Fingerprint is a User.

For the second thing, as James is the only User Account that shows up in the Control Panel, how would I go about doing this safely without losing my stuff?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
You are given the option to keep the user files.
I believe you will need to create another user account before you can delete that one.

Last edited:

PokerFace

Banned
It would have been better if your name was rodney

"trigger my names rodney not dave"
"ok then dave"

Gotta love only fools and horses

I believe Trigger's reply was "so, why do they call you Dave?"...whatever it was, it's one of the classic lines :)

Great program. I have a load of them saved on Sky+ starting from the first episode, that I need to re-watch.

omens

Gold Level Poster
Dave doesn't want to and won't die. If it's anything like Windows XP, the Dave account will be a vital system account - you can't just delete it like other accounts. The Dave pathway will always be there irrespective of what else you do.

I had this when I wanted to change from a nickname to my full name and it wouldn't let me. A format and reinstall of windows helped. This (AFAIK) is your only option.